abscess dressing

Shavings

Visit site
So as some of you will have seen in the photo thread
chance is a suspected abscess and I am polticing (sorry if that is is spelt wrong) his hoof and the horses are currently in due to the fields being water logged any way

so here is my problem i need help with

polticed his hoof last night (not to boast but I'm rather good at it after my old TB had over 14 in a year) so did the normal dressing, vet wrap (full roll) and then the good old duct tape (quiet alot)

any way chance is his boredom has taken it off over night ! and its come of with nothing more then a small chew mark at the back

some one help me how do i get him to keep it on?!

would an over reach boot work?

cant really buy a poltice boot as the only 2 locate tack shops dont have any and with the mail as delayed as it is i doubt it would get there to our little island before christmas!!!

husband is threatening to cable tie it on..:oops:

Carrottom

Visit site
An over reach boot sounds like a good idea, worth a try. I find hot tubbing with Epsom salts reduces that time needed for poulticing.

Shavings

Visit site
Help needed we put the cover reach boot on last night and anti chew spray
And the little sod still took it off!!

what do I do?!
Local tack shops don’t have any boots in and online is saying it may not arrive before Christmas

do you think putting a human sock over it might work?

Shavings

Visit site
I did you the corner of a feed sack taped on with extra duct tape as an extra layer once, but if he is determined he will probably get that off too. Do you know how long it is staying on for?

yes feed bag was tired, and even nappies

I am not sure how long he leaves it on for last night it was put on at 10 pm and removed by 7am this morning!

my husband has offered me his socks to pull up over it but I don’t know if that’s a safe option

doodle

Visit site
Bandage on foot and up the Pastern. Then a stable bandage (and gamgee ) on leg and right down to Pastern and over the hoof bandage. Although Minto would then just remove the gamgee!

sport horse

Visit site
Anti chew spray is not enough. Cribox in pot with paintbrush - smear it on thickly. We have used it for years with all ages and nothing has touched itmore than once!

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
How did it do last night?

Rog had a few last winter and we used a big corner of a haulage bag and lots of duct tape. It survived being out 24/7 on a pretty wet but not muddy field.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine pulls a poultice off as well he destroyed a tubease boot after one night! Sods aren't they! He will bite on bandages and boots I wouldn't mind but his 16 years old now he should have grown out of the chewing stage by now.

Carrottom

Visit site
I have got wet a few times ☺ but have always succeeded with a front foot, I find hind feet can be more tricky. I have been known to stand in the middle of a field armed with pieces of carrot with a tb stood with his foot in a bucket.

PurBee

Visit site
Lol carrottom! My horse reacted as if i asked him to stand on a bomb!
I then proceeded quickly to poulticing knowing its going to take a few go’s to get him used to water buckets.
He will, however, approach a bucket on fire that i light to use to smoke-out midges when they’re severe.
He’s fearless with real dangers and a complete wimp with regular stuff!

Shavings

Visit site
Lol carrottom! My horse reacted as if i asked him to stand on a bomb!
I then proceeded quickly to poulticing knowing its going to take a few go’s to get him used to water buckets.
He will, however, approach a bucket on fire that i light to use to smoke-out midges when they’re severe.
He’s fearless with real dangers and a complete wimp with regular stuff!

I shouldn’t laugh but this made me
Giggle