Abscess near frog

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
No fortunately not Ellie but another horse at the yard.

Vet was called last night as he was really lame but it had already burst. It is just at the end of the pointy bit of the frog. Vet came and looked and said it was a very serious hole and he may never be able to be ridden again
crazy.gif
It looked hardly anything to me (Ellie's was HUGE compared to this) but the vet was very pessimistic and said the frog had 'disintergrated'(had a hole about 1.5cms wide and 0.5cms deep). Gave anti B's and told them NOT to poultice
confused.gif
and said unfortunately it looks like you may be sick of seeing me over the next few months
shocked.gif

To me she is just on a money spinning exercise
mad.gif
he is quite sound on it this morning

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Vet came and looked and said it was a very serious hole and he may never be able to be ridden again

[/ QUOTE ]
blush.gif

Oooo abcesses can be the most awful painful things - but have never heard of a horse never being able to be ridden again after having one. Although of course we all live and learn..........

How long ago did it burst I wonder??

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To me she is just on a money spinning exercise
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the vet sounds like she is a money-grabber to me....either that or she doesn't know what she is talking about?

Abscesses rarely cause long-term damage - that's a new one on me.

Gingernags

Visit site
Nah, thats a load of b*llox surely? I've never heard of a horse not being ridden again - AND the frog will regenerate and grow back!

TBH - get the farrier to look! I never get vets to abscesses - they are usually rubbish at getting shoes off and digging the hole right with the hoof knife

Tell her to call farrier out and get his opinion.

How big is pony? Can borrow my hoof boot if you supervise? (ie make sure it doesn't vanish!!)

Patches

Visit site
The only time I've heard of a horse being lamed more permanently from an abscess was when it was so huge, and had been left untreated presumably, that it had eaten into the tendons within the hoof.

Does the vet think some of the internal structures of the foot have been compromised?

Other than that, I too, think it sounds a very bizarre prognosis.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Thanks for the offer but they bought a boot last night. I think that the vet picked up on the fact that they are willing to buy and pay for things to give him the best treatment.

I too would have got the farrier but at first we were a little unsure as to whether it was a puncture wound. Howefver to be honest I have decided after last night that anything to do with the feet I will get the farrier. The foot last night was not even dug out
crazy.gif
Today she has 'double' sedated him and picked it out
confused.gif

I am just dumbfounded on this one to be honest!

Gingernags

Visit site
Which practice is this BTW? The one I use at U, the very local one, or Mr R?

If you can follow that crypticness!

Quite frankly I'd ignore the vet or ask for senior partner, and animalintex poultice the foot - hot and wet and change it at least twice a day for 2 or 3 days, then try dry and see if the discharge has stopped. Once it has you do need to try to plug the hole - a small amount of cotton wool covered in cornucresine can be stuffed in the hole, but otherwise keep on with the boot, and get the farrier to have a look when he's due.

Do you want me to call in and stick my nose in??? What have they qualified for and when?

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
The local one
frown.gif

They are now plugging the hole with animalintex and bandaging/booting.
smile.gif
I am keeping out of it now as I have said my bit. But I swear if that woman ever darkens my door I will be sending her on her way
mad.gif
Silly woman!

oh no just remembered I am not with that vets!
smirk.gif
grin.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
Well if you use the same ones as me, at Upleatham, they have always been great. We had a younger lady vet from them for jabs and she had a looky at Asti re: putting her in foal, and she said lots of nice things go ginger pony and I liked her a lot!!!

I have only really come across the 2 blokeys from the "local" practice, and they seem very competent, but we seem to have a few new ones both there and Mr R's that have been a bit errrr... shall we say "lacking"??!!