abscess

sherwood'

Visit site
My horse had an abscess in his heel last week and i poulticed for about 4 days and then he was sound and all swelling had gone. But then yesterday the swelling was back again after 3 days without a poultice. So I poulticed him again last nite and gave him a shot of penicillin. is there anything else I shud do?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Abcess' can take so long to come out - they truly are very, very annoying.

I would be inclined to have him out as much as possible. Moving around will help the abcess errupt. If he's terribly sore some bute will help. But has your farrier had a little dig??

faerie666

Visit site
Have you tried tubbing the foot in hot salt water? Use the water as hot as he'll let you, add a handful of epsom salt (or normal salt) and make him stand in it for 15 min 3 times a day, and poultice on in between. That will help to draw the abscess out. Once it's burst continue tubbing and poulticing for another day, then get some iodine and sugar, mix into paste (wear rubber gloves!!!), press into the hole, cover with cotton wool and vetrap. Giving antibiotics is not so good as it'll shrink the abscess and make it appear better, but then it'll come back once the antibiotics have worn off. Hope that helps.
smile.gif

sherwood'

Visit site
thanks! Yes farrier looked at him anc checked everywhere with pinchers and he said it was in the heel and it burst after a days polticing.

Should i keep polticing him then at nite? he is out during the day in the field and i have been keeping it clean at nite hosing it as well?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I have to be honest, we very seldom poultice for an abcess - preferring to have them out and moving around. However, it certainly won't hurt to have him in at night for a few days to stick one on.

Ditto the antibioitics - don't give them.

sherwood'

Visit site
thats fantstic thank you ill try that then! I didnt realsie that about the antibitoics- i wont give him anymore