Acavallo Opera stirrups - which way round?

Fruitcake

Visit site
Apologies for what is probably a really stupid question...

I’ve just bought some Acavallo Opera stirrups (after they were recommended on here) and just want to check which way they go. I know the silver bit goes against the horse and the black bit with flag goes to the outside, but which is left and which is right? The shaft isn’t in the centre so the tread extends further one way than the other. I assumed it’s supposed to stick further out at the back, but looked it up to check and the only video I can find of them being used seems to show them with the extended bit of the tread to the front.

How can stirrups be so complicated? At least my Bow Balance ones say ‘L’ and ‘R’.

Fruitcake

Visit site
I think the treads have "back" on them
I think that was the old model. I found a picture of them, but not attached to a horse and the picture wasn’t clear enough to determine whether the ‘back’ was on the sticky out bit or the other bit. The new ones don’t have any indication at all.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
939923FB-7470-400E-968B-2569FD3C86A6.jpeg
sorry it’s a shoddy photo from last year where I borrowed a friends pair. She put them on for me. The inside shaft sits towards the front (if that makes sense!) so the tread extends at the back

Carrottom

Visit site
Mine also have "back" across the back of the base but I think I could tell by the grip on the tread, so that it is rough from front to back to offer grip to your boot, if that makes any sense.

Bernster

Visit site
It does seem to make more sense to have the top opening fit that way, and have the stirrup leather lie flat. I’ve not seen anyone ride in these though and I don’t need any more expensive kit…!

Roxylola

Visit site
It does seem to make more sense to have the top opening fit that way, and have the stirrup leather lie flat. I’ve not seen anyone ride in these though and I don’t need any more expensive kit…!
As tech stirrups go, they aren't super pricey, about £80 new. I rode in a pair once and just went yep I need a set of them in my life, they just feel right if that makes sense

Bruce17

Visit site
Can I drag this back up to ask a question please?

In this photo (and others available on Google) , the flag is on the silver side of the stirrup, and the acavallo sticker on the black side. But on mine, the flag is on the black side and the acavallo sticker is on the silver side.

I was told its the silver side the the outside (so black side closest to horse) so have been wearing them that way. But now seeing the answers above I think I should have the flag to the outside? So in my case black side to the outside?

I'm so confused ?Screenshot_20220402-183129.png

Fruitcake

Visit site

In this photo (and others available on Google) , the flag is on the silver side of the stirrup, and the acavallo sticker on the black side. But on mine, the flag is on the black side and the acavallo sticker is on the silver side.

I was told its the silver side the the outside (so black side closest to horse) so have been wearing them that way. But now seeing the answers above I think I should have the flag to the outside? So in my case black side to the outside?

I'm so confused ?View attachment 90044
I think they’re the old ones. The new ones have the flag on the black side. I assume that, whichever style you have, the flag goes to the outside. ?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I hate to be a misery guts but I just wanted to mention that I got my foot stuck in these when I had a pretty standard fall. I loved them otherwise annoyingly.

Fruitcake

Visit site

I'm so confused ?View attachment 90044
I think they’re the old ones. The new ones have the flag on the black side. I assume that, whichever style you have, the flag goes to the outside.