Accidentally fertilised fields

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Someone accidentally fertilised our two big fields this weekend. They'd told the contractor "second gate on the right" and contractor took the wrong turning and found the wrong second gate - already finished by the time my neighbour went out to see what the big tractor was doing.

Obviously nothing to be done now, can't take it back up again! I'm not really sure how I feel about it TBH.

On the one hand, I've just got probably over €100 of bagged manure spread on my land for free. These are the fields I get cut for hay, so that may translate into some extra money once the crop is in as I never need all of it. It may also mean less spraying of thistles, as taking the hay each year and not putting anything back probably doesn't help with the weeds.

On the flip side I have massively good doers, one of which went down with laminitis for the first time this winter during the snow. So extra fertiliser on their winter fields is maybe not ideal.

Kind of a pointless post, but how would you feel? Pleased or a bit annoyed.

JillA

Visit site
I didn't fertilise my hay fields but that was purely on a cost basis - spending £300 to get £200 worth more hay. So I would be pleased if it was a hay field. Grazing field is another matter, although I operate a track system so would just narrow down the tracks and add smaller strips daily

be positive

Visit site
You should get a better crop of hay and the grass may become a bit stronger although the thistles will probably love it as well, I would try and get a few cattle/ sheep or if a local farmer would take a late cut of silage in the autumn, or the contractor could do this to make up for the mistake, that could be the best option for reducing the winter grass and cutting back the thistle regrowth, if they are cut before they seed you will soon get rid of them without needing to spray.

You will have to take extra care over winter as the fertiliser will enrich the grass and the risk of laminitis will still be there, so no I would not be happy but would try and gain from it if possible.

Mule

Visit site
At least they're your winter fields. The grass will be richer but at least there won't be as much of it. I'm sure you'll be able to manage it. I see more pluses than minuses.