Acid Reflux - any experiences?

Louisejane

Visit site
Hi all

We have a 7 year old connie who's had a rotten couple of years with EMS, ulcers and stifle surgery. We've owned him since a 3 year old and he has always suffered with what we thought was mild choke, however, on scoping last year, he has severe acid reflux. Fast forward a year and we seem to have kept on top of things with no further episodes until last weekend. I can't work out why it would be bad again as nothing has changed.

I can't find any information on reflux in horses so was hoping some of had some experience to share, feeding tips and management. xx

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Nothing directly, and our digestive systems are different, but seeing the difference in my OH's reflux, and my indigestion, from eating fermented products (mainly kefir) and generally looking after gut health via pre and probiotics, as well as eating as much vegetable fibre as possible, I would look to the hind gut to start. There is a very interesting group on FB where the person who runs it is doing some amazing research into the hind gut biome. Not sure if I can post links etc so pm me if you're interested.