Acorns are out early

emilylou

Visit site
After a horrible afternoon of acorn induced colic, I thought it best to warn people that acorns are out early. My horse, thankfully should be fine, but please be viligiant as the acorns are big, green and early this year!

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Sorry to here this & thank you for warning everyone. I used to have three oak trees in my old field but now bought my own field and have a new problem crab apples, which I believe caused colic in my mare one year, I now just fence off & do a massive pick up after a strong wind. Hope all ok today

JillA

Visit site
Not just me then - I picked one up when I was poo picking yesterday. Lack of grass in this area would ensure many horses might eat them, thanks for the warning. Hope your horse is ok

buzyizzy

Visit site
Found my first ones in the field yesterday when poo picking too! Very early, but fortunately we now have too much grass, so I am going to be reducing my field this afternoon. Pony getting fat again :eek:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP, glad yours survived.
Good friend of mine lost her lad yesterday from impaction colic, due to acorns :(

I'm sweeping up at present, watching weather like a hawk in case wind gets up in which case the tinies will move paddock and will prob need muzzles on 24/7 till acorns stop (as grass in adjacent paddock is too much for them without muzzles)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh goodness, thanks for the warning. Glad your horse made it, OP. So sorry about your friend's horse, TFF.

I noticed a few green acorns lying on the lanes today as I walked the dog. Also lots of blackberries. It's supposed to be summer for a few days yet, isn't it?

HashRouge

Visit site
I checked my field yesterday but couldn't see any yet. I will be fencing my oak trees off as soon as I spot one as my mare got sick this time last year and we think it was from eating acorns. It's just a pain as I'll have to fence of the water as that's where the trees are, so it will mean carting buckets of water about. Still, better that than a repeat of last year.

JillA

Visit site
I checked my field yesterday but couldn't see any yet. I will be fencing my oak trees off as soon as I spot one as my mare got sick this time last year and we think it was from eating acorns. It's just a pain as I'll have to fence of the water as that's where the trees are, so it will mean carting buckets of water about. Still, better that than a repeat of last year.

Depends on the size of the area but I empty my poo barrow under the oak tree on my boundary, stops them grazing there and they could still access the water?

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t think they are early here. Luckily it doesn’t seem to be a bad year looking at my trees. A friends horse nearly died last year from acorn poisoning, despite being in the same field for years. One of mine loves them so have fenced them off for the pigs to eat until they’ve al gone.

emilylou

Visit site
I had the blood tests results back today and they are clear! With no risk of kidney damage. I'm so pleased as was a tense few days waiting for results.
So sorry to hear about your friends horse TFF.