Acorns - how poisonous?

Stasha22

Visit site
I know Acorns are poisonous but just wondered how much so? Have just discovered that an Acorn tree adjacent to my field is actually sheading into my field and horses have been munching in that area.

Should I be panicking?

sorona

Visit site
Would certainly take preventative measures. They could possibly suffer colic from consuming the acorns so as a precautionary measure, add bran to their feed to help things along and then fence the area off!

riotgirl

Visit site
I think it depends on the horses to be honest. The old bloke down the road has 2 Welshies that constantly munch on them and they seem to be ok. Before I got my Welshie she used to eat them all the time. Now she's with me I have to put the electric fence around the oak tree to stop her getting to them! Not much help sorry!

charlie76

Visit site
They are supposed to be quite poisionous however our riding school horses seem to munch through them with no problems!

Stasha22

Visit site
Will be fencing area off tonight. Just hope she hasn't consumed large amounts, she seems to find them rather tasty.

Will be keeping a close eye for a few days...

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I think its in large amounts, but like others have said it depends on the horse. Mine managed to eat two acorns off the floor about a month ago and I stayed up all night worrying but he was fine!

pottamus

Visit site
My Welshie got a liking for them one year...he had spent all day in one area of the field and I did not realise until I went to get him in that he had been eating the d**m things all day!
frown.gif
Luckily he was okay though but I was megga worried for 48 hours...I now fence the area off every year.