Acorns

tking

Visit site
I have noticed that the trees are loaded with acorns this year- i think this happens when there is a draught, the tree is trying to reproduce in case it dies- and they seem to be dropping off some trees already.We cant win the horses need the shade from the trees but cant go near the trees because of the acorns. ahhhh [

pottamus

Visit site
Yes nice though they are for shelter, please take care as they are not good for horses and they seem to become addicted to them. My horse a couple of years ago started eating the ones that dropped and had been stuffing his face for a day before I realised...it seems he had a liking for them because even when I fenced the trees off he would try to get to them with loads of grass to eat too!
frown.gif
I was very lucky that he had no ill effects at all but it was scary at the time...he must have good guts!

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
mine have eaten them in the past to no effect as well, im off to trim the trees back as far as i can this weekend and have shuf of 2 fields so they can grow up and dont have to use the ones wih oak trees in in. they grow everywhere oak trees have them round my school they even start coming up thru the surface a nightmare picking them out in the spring. who invented them!!!!!