Acorns

crabbymare

Visit site
just a word of warning that wind or rain is bringing them down earlier than normal this year so the trees here are either being fenced off or the horses have been moved to fields that dont have them. worth checking if your horses are grazing in fields with them and either fencing trees off or if thats not possible raking up as many as possible and making sure there is plenty of grass or hay for the horse to eat

crabbymare

Visit site
it seems almost like a mast year here. there are quite a lot coming down and looks like there is loads still on the trees :(

npage123

Visit site
Thanks for the warning. My horse has a huge liking for acorn nuts, but he's luckily now in a field with no acorn trees whatsoever. Phew!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
We've started preparations already. Huge acorns on some of our trees. Not going to enjoy this autumn and I suspect it'll be another bad year on the forest. :(

pennyturner

Visit site
I had noticed that there is a huge acorn crop on our oaks this year. I will be letting the pigs into the paddock for a few hours a few times later in the autumn. It's surprisingly pleasant ... like walking a fat lady into a cake shop.

crabbymare

Visit site
I had noticed that there is a huge acorn crop on our oaks this year. I will be letting the pigs into the paddock for a few hours a few times later in the autumn. It's surprisingly pleasant ... like walking a fat lady into a cake shop.
Sadly there are no pigs around here to let in or they could have a great time. not sure the horses would appreciate being next to them though :D

Our oaks have a huge crop, falling already! Luckily all fenced off! I wonder what sort of winter we are in for? I'm praying for dry but cold!
before the papers get in with it I forecast the worst winter in years with massive snowdrifts and galeforce winds bringing total chaos to transport systems and cutting off food supplies and water :D