Acorns

LaurenBay

Visit site
Hoping someone has a genius idea for getting rid of acorns (apart from cutting the trees down which I am not allowed to do!)

Horse is with 2 others 24/7 with PLENTY of grass. My Mare has decided she quite likes the blimming things! the other 2 are not so bothered.

I've been sweeping up the acorns under the biggest tree as it is mostly dried mud around that so easy to sweep. I've also sectioned off the other tree with electric fencing. I've just had a text to say shes gone through the fencing to get to them (Fence now back up) I've tried to rake the area also but the grass is so long I am not getting all of them. Has anyone spread fresh poo over the top with success? I have even considered buying a leaf blower!!!!!! also considered spraying something yukky on the area?

Mare is fine in herself but I don't want to run the risk of her getting sick. I have been checking her poo with a fine tooth comb and not found many acorn shells.

My only other option is to move her, problem is its a single field so would be hard to find somewhere else (I looked a few months ago and there was nothing!)

Someone please tell me they will go soon!!

JillA

Visit site
I only have one tree and a fairly small area but I scatter the poo on it while I am poo picking - the one thing they won't eat around is poo, although if she is determined to go through electric fencing..............................can you fence well away from them? I heard they are addictive (it's the tannin in them I think) so once she has had some she'll want more. If you fence her into a smaller area of field maybe she will lose track of the fact that they are there?
Or cultivate your local squirrel population :)

npage123

Visit site
Sorry I can't offer a solution for you, OP, but I fully sympathise with your predicament. In a previous livery yard, there was a massive acorn tree which was excellent for shelter in winter and shade in summer, but my horse developed a liking for the acorn nuts and I'm sure he hoovered up loads of them, to the point where I've noticed that his pooh became much more firm than usual.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My two oldies were spending a considerable amount of time under the oak tree in their field, then (dimwit that I am) I twigged what the monkeys were up to.

Got some leccy fencing around the area PDQ and spoilt their fun.

Blimmin things. I hadn't thought of putting poo down tho', might do that, but its a fairish area and would take a time to cover the area completely.