Acoustic ears

ecb89

Visit site
Do they work?
Today I hit the dirt for the first time in the 4 years I’ve owned my spooky noise reactive horse as a pigeon flapped in the trees next to the school. He dropped a shoulder and just went, didn’t stand a chance.
I’m toying with buying some of the acoustic ears but wonder if they actually work if they are just a gimmick or have a placebo effect on the rider.
Picture of said spooky horse ? oh it’s sideways, that’s annoying

Attachments

• 43FF24CB-88B5-4518-B571-7B819927A8E5.jpeg
    43FF24CB-88B5-4518-B571-7B819927A8E5.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 21

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve never tried them as I was told they make the bridle a bit unstable/likely to fall off which I’m sure you can agree in that situation is the very last thing you’d need!
What about ear plugs?

CMcC

Visit site
My pony has been very spooky in the school recently. I bought the Woof Wear sound deadening ears last week, have only ridden using them once but had the best schooling session in months, so fingers crossed they are effective.
Was surprised how well they stayed on.

Griffin

Visit site
They do work for noise spooks (and are useful for clipping nervous horses too) but they do make your bridle a bit more able to come off. However, I wonder if you could solve that in some way (which I haven't worked out yet).

ecb89

Visit site
If your horse is just spooky with sound they'll probably work however if your horse is also spooky with visuals as well it might make them more spooky as they're not listening to you!
I think he’s definitely noise spooky rather visual. Pigeons flapping in the confiers next to the school, ducks taking off and landing in the pond next to the school, the other day he spun as some gravel slid down a pile next to the school. We do have spooky schools.
He is much better than he used to be and I have lessons with an excellent instructor who has taught me so much in how to handle him.

ruth83

Visit site
Yes, for some horses they work incredibly well.
Personally I have found that the Le Mieux ones seem to be linked to more incidences of bridles dropping off than others (but this might be because they are a very popular brand so they're about a lot!). One client uses Horze ones (she has added a crocheted throatlash to them)

Fandabbydozy

New User
Visit site
Do they work?
Today I hit the dirt for the first time in the 4 years I’ve owned my spooky noise reactive horse as a pigeon flapped in the trees next to the school. He dropped a shoulder and just went, didn’t stand a chance.
I’m toying with buying some of the acoustic ears but wonder if they actually work if they are just a gimmick or have a placebo effect on the rider.
Picture of said spooky horse ? oh it’s sideways, that’s annoying
I have a very spooky mare & use Cavalor Sozen supplement & sheepskin balls in her ears with ordinary ears over the top. Made a huge difference

Michen

Visit site
Definitely work. I’ve just put them back on my 9 year old who hasn’t work them since a 5 year old but currently thinks he’s king of the world ??‍♀️

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
Definitely helped my horse who was incredibly sharp and spooky. First time using them he was like a different horse. By the end of the next use he had worked out how to shake them off and remove the bridle at the same time! I put the bridle on first then tie the strings downwards to the back of the noseband. Sometimes he reacts when the ears are removed. Using the ears for about two weeks made a huge improvement.