ACP

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Do you mean the danger that you might get caught or the danger of a horse for instance hitting a fence and rolling on top of you because his reflexes are impaired?
I don't think it's advisable even to ride a horse on ACP, much less compete one.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
If you are jumping it is downright dangerous as any slight sedative effect could cause the horse to fall. The type of tired fall is the sort that can kill the rider.

I know people do use it a bit to calm horses for dressage but in eventing particularly now they are testing for it.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
It's alright to ride them on it.. but as said above, don't compete on it!!

I know a few racing yards that'll give horses just coming back into work one for the first few times you ride it..

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Yes, I realised I was being a bit dramatic after I made the post (although I'm not sure I'd be happy doing too much fast work!)
smile.gif
What I meant to say was that there were probably more effective and safer alternatives to ACP for riding. Having said that, I actually know a nutter or 2 who JUMP their horses on ACP....

MissDeMeena

Visit site
don't worry.. i was only using the quick reply.. so was a general post!!

I have to say.. i'm thinking of using it myself this winter.. with two VERY sharp horses to ride out together... am about to start them on this soaked oats diet too
smile.gif

eventingdiva

Visit site
My vet gave an owner some to give to a horse for the dressage phase at a PN last year. TBH it didnt really have much of an effect but she didn't have very much. I don't agree with this but it was the vet who suggested it so surely it wasn't THAT dangerous?! x

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
you can ride on it, but i would only suggest if youe horse is really bad. We had a very very nervous gelding under saddle. Fine on ground just when he was ridden. Gave him a couple and it took the edge off but didnt really make a difference. Waste of time really.

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
i wouldnt advise riding a doped horse EVER, i know of someone who used it when hunting as horse a loony and was very shocked its wrong if you cant control them do something about it rather than doping them up, The only time i advocate the use of ACP is when they have laminits as a vasculodilator and as a sedative for box rested horses or those who need to be kept still for a purpose, i know of show ponies who are to sharp being given it and its wrong and not fair to all the sane childrens ponies out there, who need none of this, take it you read the report recently about the show jumping mum putting ACP in polos holes and feeding it to her childs competion at a show jumping event ?

MDJO

Visit site
My vet told me that ACP supresses a horses reactions and for some reason which currently escapes me, it is more dangerous than a regular intravenous sedative as it can over-ride 'training' i.e. if faced with something spooky or scary the horse may react instinctively and disregard previous training e.g. a soothing voice or the aids - whereas with a normal sedative the horse is just generally subdued but can still listen and react to owner. I think this makes ACP more dangerous as you would not want to be riding a horse which is disregarding the basic aids.