Acquired a 13 yr old, having problems!

Jo1987

Visit site
Back story - OH phoned yesterday lunch time to say co worker's friend has recently lost her mum, and needs to find her 13 year old collie x springer a home. No rescue will take her.
We lost our dog around a year ago so I saw no reason why we couldn't give her a home for her last years.
Got her home last night, she's obviously a bit confused/worried, but seems very sweet.
Problem is she is too scared to go outside for a wee! At sight of lead she rushes to her bed and will not come out, becoming very aggressive, growling/barking/snapping after I put lead on, gave a gentle tug and then tried to remove lead as didn't want to put too much pressure on her - obviously she thought I had put too much pressure on!
She also growled/snapped at me when I tried to move her gently out of the way to sit down last night.
I've had a few dogs but I haven't met one this aggressive before even when stressed (which she obviously is)
At the moment I'm just giving her space, the back door is open for her to go out when she wants but she's firmly in her bed still. Last wee was about 14 hours ago so she must be fairly desperate poor thing!
Not really sure what answers I'm looking for here but any suggestions would be welcome, am I doing the right thing just leaving her alone?
Or should I suggest to previous owners daughter that perhaps pts would be kinder as she's obviously very scared (had to put leather gauntlet on to remove lead, and I still felt teeth)
I'm sure it's fear causing the aggression rather than just bad temper but at her age I'm not sure it's right to put her through all this upset!
Very long sorry, thanks for reading x

JillA

Visit site
Clicker train her - without the clicker. Treat and train her to come to you, hand feed her until she is more confident and getting up to approach for the treat. Her world has just turned upside down so yes, she is scared and reinforcement training is a good way to teach them life is still okay.

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks, I feel so sorry for her! I'll forget about trying to encourage her outside for now I think and focus on building a bit of trust with the help of some treats, and time.

Cahill

Visit site
i think she must be very confused and not being her true self.
i would ignore the bad and reward the good.
if she is fed kibble,i would handfeed her daily ration.
also maybe a slip lead for now?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Put a light house line on her collar with no hand loop on it that she can drag around but not catch on things, so you don't always have to get too close to the pointy end all the time.
For now her bed would be on the floor, not sharing any sofa or bed with you...if she is already unsettled, any ambiguity (I was on the sofa, now I have to move, what the hell?!) will just add to the confusion.
If she is fed kibble I would also hand feed her normal food, you can even just chuck it on the floor to begin with, rather than feeding 'treats' on top of her normal food, or let you see her putting it in the bowl. Basic principle is you = good stuff/survival.

Try not to feel too sorry for her or get emotional if things aren't going well..it sounds cold but she may feel it as pressure. Dogs work off non verbal communication and energy/vibes. And well done for taking her on.

Last edited:

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks, I'm not taking it personally but I am a bit wary of her now so I'd guess she's picking up on that!
CorvusCorax - thanks for your advice, it all makes good sense! She hasn't been up on the sofa or in the bed, she was just standing in front of the sofa when I asked her to move a few steps forward so I could sit down without stepping on her, I could understand her snapping at me if I'd tried to hoof her off the sofa!
She's had a few treats and is being quite sweet now.
She is showing interest in coming outside, but there's a barking dog and some kids playing that are putting her off a bit I think.

Clodagh

Visit site
My mum's collie was exactly like this when she came, you just couldn't touch her. She used to get a slip lead and make a huge loop in it to gently put it over the dogs head without touching her. Just ignore her, don't try to touch her, don't look at her directly, no pressure. Poor old girl.
Mum's collie is now a very happy bouncy dog, it did take time but now she is OK with strangers and diffeent houses and everything.
So, having looked back, everything CC said. Good luck with her.

Jo1987

Visit site
Clodagh - thanks, that gives me hope! She's just been outside and done a wee thank goodness, she actually came up and seemed to be asking for something so I managed to tempt her outside with some treats and then she realised it wasn't so bad and there was no stopping her!

Clodagh

Visit site
Brilliant, you have already turned the corner. :)
I think people like you and TheresaW who take on oldies are really good people, so well done.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Glad you've made a breakthrough! I'm sure that she will settle and become less aggressive over time. I have nothing practical to add that hasn't already been said by other posters, but good luck and keep us updated.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Clodagh - thanks, that gives me hope! She's just been outside and done a wee thank goodness, she actually came up and seemed to be asking for something so I managed to tempt her outside with some treats and then she realised it wasn't so bad and there was no stopping her!

My advice in the early stages would be to keep a line on her and not to feed her ; keep food as a reward for moving about as you require - anything left over at the end of the day can go in her bowl. They soon learn - hunger is a great motivator. And that is not as cruel as it may sound.

{97702}

Visit site

Great to read this, you are SO fabulous offering this poor confused girl a home :) :) :) Bear with her, she will settle in time, but you sounds to be doing all the right things :)

ETA - yep agree with what CC has said - just be calm, practical and quite unemotional around her, give her clear parameters so she understands what is expected of her. I've had quite a few older dogs now (rescues) and I just treat the newcomer exactly like I treat the others, they fit in incredibly well :)

Last edited:

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks everyone, great advice. Her previous owners daughter came round this evening and we went for a good walk - I hope when she gets used to me she'll be a 'normal' pooch!
I am still a bit concerned about when we have new people over to the house, or have to leave her for holidays, but it's early days yet!

Jo1987

Visit site
this is her, outside!
IMG_1676_zpsvmxjcogi.jpg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hi op, I'm no dog trainer so can't really advise but I took on an older collie who's owner died last year. She wasn't aggressive to us but was to our other dogs. At times I wondered what I'd done!
Ff a few months she was settled and happier and now I'd not be without the old bag! She's probably not showing her true colours yet. Good luck :)