Action At Aston UA

wispagold

Visit site
Well I am normally at bit of a lurker but decided on this occasion I should really write my first competition report. Disclaimer, potentially this will be very long!

Bit of background info...

I bought Wispa as a 2yr in 2004 when I was 17 and doing my A levels to be my future eventer. In 2009 we made our novice début and everything was going well until we had a fall in the SJ at Somerford Park at the end of 2010. I broke my leg and didn't ride for 5 months. I then bought Wispa back into work and shortly afterwards she kicked herself on a hind leg out hacking resulting in an infected haematoma, lymphangitis and 3 weeks at the vets on a drip! Straight after that she went lame in both front feet for reasons still unknown. I had several conversations with my vet and in the end and after various tests we decided to turn her away to grass for a year.

Skip to August 2012 when I went to pick her up from the lovely lady that was looking after her for me with the idea of bringing her back into work. She had a big grass belly and an extremely attractive hairstyle.
314215_10100520483480728_929427915_n_zpsaf648da3.jpg

Following vets orders we slowly, slowly bought her back into work. I could barely allow myself to think she would be ok. She really was on last chance salon as she is not an easy horse to manage out of work.

Long story short she seems to be fine :D SO I renewed by BE membership for the first time in 3 years and excitedly entered the BE90 at Stafford. Which was then cancelled :(

So instead I tried to enter the intro at Aston but there was no space so I bit the bullet (so to speak) and entered the pre-novice instead...neither of us have done any competitions since our fall at Somerford so I was not feeling well prepared.

Anyway, she was AMAZING :D

We rocked up, Wispa was feeling very full of herself and marched off down the dressage like a lama on speed. However she quickly settled to do a quiet and uneventful test. I did ride it a bit safe but would rather it be lacking than explosive but we ended up on a respectful 36.

Warm up pics (thank you to my sister Harriet for these):
524626_10100705123116418_1151714423_n_zps5f6ee9fe.jpg

73095_10100705121784088_1746601198_n_zps61ca4630.jpg

We felt far more chilled having finished the test! Not sure why I am sat so wonky!! :S
7307_10100705123051548_1950973768_n_zps0289dee5.jpg

I would also like to say I have never been to Aston before and it was a lovely place and the ground was perfect!

Onto the SJ, the only bit have really done any practice for. I thought the course was on the smaller side. I wasn't too worried and she popped round easily for a nice clear.
558664_10100705122712228_561254479_n_zps5c0ec2a3.jpg

Finally onto the XC, which I have been dreaming about for months. I thought the course was testing enough for us considering we hadn't even made it out XC schooling thanks to the weather! Wispa obviously thought otherwise as she flew round for an easy clear with just 4.4 time to finish 16th overall.

Over the corner which had been causing a few problems.
63397_10100705123460728_1481184891_n_zps7ce2b8c1.jpg

So big pats for a clever pony who felt like she had never been away and ridiculously happy to be back doing what we love. Can't wait until next weekend when we are entered for the BE100 at Eland! :D

I can offer semi dissolved polos to anyone who made it through that! :D

Con234

Visit site
Wow sounds like you had a super day. You both look great. Hard to believe you haven't competed since your fall in 2010!

Wispa is gorgeous, I love the picture of you jumping the corner, she's making it look so easy!

claracanter

Visit site
What a fantastic partnership you two are and to comeback after such a long lay off and do so brilliantly. All the best for the rest of the season.

P.S. That hairstyle is something else!

lex2501

Visit site
She is lovely! It must have been wonderful to be back out on her :D

Love the description of a lama on speed, made me chuckle :p

wispagold

Visit site
Thanks everyone :D it has been a bit of an emotional roller-coaster and I am just so pleased we have made it back to a competition!

She is very special to me.

Regarding getting her competition fit I have had a lot of help from the girls at the yard who have been doing a lot of hacking with her. Plus it helped that even when the weather was bad she could go on the walker twice a day. She just loves to work and always wants to be doing something so she is good in that respect!

I just hope she can keep herself out of trouble for a bit now!

sabel

Visit site
She looks lovely! Congratulations on such a good comeback:).
I was at Aston on Sunday for the first time and couldn't agree more - what a lovely place.

miskettie

Visit site
Well done! Sounds like you've both been through lots and it must be relief to be able to go out and have fun together.

alfirules

Visit site
Wow, well done! Fair play to you getting straight back into it after all that time! What a successful comeback, all the best for the rest of the season! :)

jenbleep

Visit site
Wow what a story, well done you for looking after her so well and making her look fabulous!! You'd never think you'd both been out of action for a while!

Good luck for the rest of the season :)

wispagold

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for your lovely replies!

I emailed a couple of photos to my vet yesterday and thanked her for all her hard work, she is brilliant. :)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Well done !! lovely horse and great rider :) best of luck for future events- but I think you've ran out of bad luck now so you should be fine :p