Actors and riding

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
To use Poldark as an example, I can only be honest, and say that when Demelza rode in a scene I was looking at the horse, and her clothes, but when Ross rode in a scene I was looking at the horse, and Aidan Turner. For me, I think it most of the time is simply down to that I'm a heterosexual female, I like looking at a handsome man riding around on a horse in a scene.

On the subject of Poldark, I've read that Aidan Turner had done a little riding as a kid + in The Hobbit, but nothing major, and that he sometimes needed a stunt double in the first Poldark season, but he did his own riding scenes in the following Poldark seasons.
On the page where I read the above, it also said that Eleanor Tomlinson was the best rider on the set, that she grew up around horses, and can gallop riding side-saddle.

tumblr_paauqxQNFv1ven9rio1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9mk5s7RIG1ryjyz8o2_500.jpg

Whereas when I look at the first of your pictures, I'm looking at the tack, the horse, the boots, the coat and waistcoat, the hat (I have a tricorn that I don't wear anything like often enough). And when I look at the second one, I'm looking at the horse, sure, but that red hair streaming out in the wind, the woman's face, and wondering what boots and other things are hidden under that long coat... You've got me googling for pictures of Eleanor Tomlinson riding horses, now.

The picture of Julia Roberts in Mongolia is nice, but she doesn't do anything for me, never has, not even when she's dancing to You Can Keep Your Hat On.

BBP

Visit site
I’m a big fan of Kaley Cuoco now, ever since I read a quote from her where she said she would far rather be remembered as a horsewoman who did some acting, than an actress who rode horses.

Jamie Foxx is a keen horseman, Tony in the movie Django Unchained was apparently his own horse Cheetah.

Also, if anyone is looking Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson has just listed his horse farm for sale. A bargain at $2.5million less than he paid for it.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ists-sprawling-Georgia-horse-farm-7-5MIL.html. Having seen a photo, he clearly isn’t a rider, but it looks like his kids do.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Would the small draughts you referred to be like Irish Draughts?
Sort of; bit heavier than most modern draughts maybe. In working with the Royal Armouries, we came to the conclusion that the Grete Horse was most like the Latvian Draught (based on iconography and the measurements of extant horse armours), generally between 13.2 - 14.2. Rouncies, Jenets, etc. were lighter, and Coursers were generally Spanish.

On the "actors riding" theme, I have actually put Jason Momoa on his horse multiple times - he is a terrible rider :) So is Aidan Turner (lovely fellow though), but he's got a bit better at it over time. Hugh Dancy can really ride, we did a few dressage/alta escuela lessons when he was filming King Arthur.

On the subject of women riding in film, most horse riding occurs in historical settings when women didn't do much on horseback anyway. I have doubled for Helen Mirren a few times, and I've also worn multiple beards :)

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I could watch him forever.

Does anyone know if Omar Sharif was actually a good rider because I caught some of an old film with him in it called The Horsemen and if that was him riding in the polo/ chaos scenes he was quite something

As far as I've been able to find, Omar Sharif's riding skills was only a part of his acting skills. However he did enjoy/love owning some racehorses, but he also betted on horses, and a lot of other things, he lost large sums of money due to gambling addiction.

By the way, I found out that he was once one of the top 50 contract bridge players in the world, and there is apparently some books by/with him about playing bridge. Completely pointless random info that my brain will probably decide is something I must remember.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Shania Twain rides her horse on to the stage and sings ' You're Still the One ' to it ! Horse doesn't bat an eyelid . The song was originally written for her husband but when they split up she decided to dedicate it to her horse instead :D Nice video on YouTube ( Live in Las Vegas 2014 ) . Actually makes me want to cry a little bit .

Last edited:

Griffin

Visit site

Cloball

Visit site
Sort of; bit heavier than most modern draughts maybe. In working with the Royal Armouries, we came to the conclusion that the Grete Horse was most like the Latvian Draught (based on iconography and the measurements of extant horse armours), generally between 13.2 - 14.2. Rouncies, Jenets, etc. were lighter, and Coursers were generally Spanish.

On the "actors riding" theme, I have actually put Jason Momoa on his horse multiple times - he is a terrible rider :) So is Aidan Turner (lovely fellow though), but he's got a bit better at it over time. Hugh Dancy can really ride, we did a few dressage/alta escuela lessons when he was filming King Arthur.

On the subject of women riding in film, most horse riding occurs in historical settings when women didn't do much on horseback anyway. I have doubled for Helen Mirren a few times, and I've also worn multiple beards :)

I am loving the equine history. Although I am picturing the 14hh Ardennes X Highland I rode last year built like an outhouse with huge knees and the best ears.

Pippity

Visit site
I've just started watching Cadfael. First episode opens with an actor (Christian Burgess?) wobbling along on a palomino, giving the most tremendous pony club kicks!