Ad - Free to good home ----------> Seriously

Char0901

Visit site
Didn't even need to follow the link to know which horse you are talking about, I saw him over there >>>>
For a horse to get to 27 years old, he deserves so much more than being passed on to god knows what kind of home for free.
Poor lad, it's so sad.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Comes with tack and rugs, someone will take him sell the stuff and he'll be in an auction for meat quicker than I can type this post - PLEASE will people take responsibility for their animals.

They probably realise the council won't come and collect their broken fridge for free so why would someone take their broken horse !

kateandluelue

Visit site
Didn't even need to follow the link to know which horse you are talking about, I saw him over there >>>>
For a horse to get to 27 years old, he deserves so much more than being passed on to god knows what kind of home for free.
Poor lad, it's so sad.

Yeah i completely agree. Why cant people just keep their oldies and let them live their days out in peace.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
I only have 2 acres so not enough grazing :( but if i had one more id have him!

If I was closer and/or had transport I'd probably let my heart overule my head and go and pick the poor old boy up - I've already got one on the verge of retiring and really don't need a second!

Goldenstar

Visit site
The picture breaks your heart ,ears pricked and happy , no idea what horror could be waiting for him how can people do it , it makes me want to weep .

SpringArising

Visit site
I knew there would be a thread about this horse as soon as I saw the add.

It's not on its last legs struggling to stand. It's a healthy horse who can still be ridden, and to be honest he looks in better condition than some of the horses I've seen people post pictures of on here.

All horses can end up in crappy homes, whether they're sold for £4,000 or £1.

but really a full H&H ad for 27 y/o retired TB that needs to be stabled.

It says he can still be ridden and no where does it say he needs to be stabled either. Not sure where you've pulled that info from.

Last edited:

jokadoka

Visit site
I knew there would be a thread about this horse as soon as I saw the add.

It's not on its last legs struggling to stand. It's a healthy horse who can still be ridden, and to be honest he looks in better condition than some of the horses I've seen people post pictures of on here.

Totally agree with you.
A lot of judging going on without knowing any of the background to this advert, typical HHO.
There seem to be an awful lot of threads lately "pointing" at ads and critisising and slagging off, seems to be the latest fad......

Polos Mum

Visit site

This is absolutely true but as a seller you have to be clear that your horse has a job to that will make it worthwhile for whoever comes along to pay for their upkeep/ PTS on retirement.
27 is very different to 17, with the absolute best care in the world he might potter on for a year or two - but has no value and so people can't be arsed to look after things they don't value.

The only horse I've sold in 15 years when to a lady who'd shared, then loaned him - an add on here he'd have been worth £4/5k, she had him for £1k as I was happy that she was going to fund his retirement when the time comes.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Yes there is a lot of judgmental comments but maybe that is because a horse that has reached 27 years of age and has served you well deserves to be kept. I can't believe anyone on here seriously thinks it is ok to just advertise a horse like this 'free to good home'. If the owner found someone they knew and could guarantee the horses future then giving him away would not be an issue but to advertise openly where by anybody can come forward promising to be the perfect forever home and convincingly doing so only to possibly pass that animal on to an uncertain future is heartless and irresponsible. I am not being judgmental or over dramatic just stating the facts that our animals derserve a better end to their lives, it is our duty as owners to ensure their futures.

Colivet

Visit site
I only have 2 acres so not enough grazing :( but if i had one more id have him!

If I was closer and/or had transport I'd probably let my heart overule my head and go and pick the poor old boy up - I've already got one on the verge of retiring and really don't need a second!

Oh god ill be worrying about him now! Someone on here must have a spare field he can live out his days in piece.

So what makes you think that there isn't someone out there who will answer the ad who is just as willing to look after him in his old age, might give him a little exercise now and again, and love him - who DOES have the capacity for an oldie.

My oldie is 25 and I will move mountains to keep him until he takes his last breath, but life circumstances can change and if I found myself unable to for whatever reason, I would like to think it didn't necessarily mean a death sentence. Obviously prospective carers would have to be carefully vetted but I optimistically believe there are people out there, like those quoted above, who might love him too.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I must admit I felt sad when I saw the ad. I hate the free ads as im sure it encourages people to go into horse ownership when they wouldn't have normally....as there are so many of us who would like to be able to take him, lets hope there is someone who knows what they are doing who will give him a good few years.....I wish if people don't want their oldies and don't know anyone who will take them just did the deed!!!!!!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I have three horse over 22 y/o and they are all extremely valuable to me and do their 'jobs' fantastically well. I am not agest but given the number of people out there to make a fast buck at an animals expense why why why would you give away and not loan, yes loans go wrong and to make them work needs time and effort but if you gave a s&*t about the lovely looking horse a couple of hours to check up on a loan home once a month isn't much to ask.

The ad says he won't hack and they do the odd potter in the school which to me = retired.
It say he needs to be stabled and being TB and at his age I'd certainly agree.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
My lad was a typical free to a good home ad, old lad, half blind, and temperament issues, loan homes not working so he went up free to a good home. I brought him him a week later and I love that horse to pieces and it will brake my heart when he needs to be pts.

Yes I hate free to good home ads I really do but some land on their feet, I know quite a few free ponies locally who all have good homes but I know horses that have been sold for a lot of money to end up in very bad homes. Price means nothing

Ponycarrots

Visit site
Come on now, yes it's a sad advert but we don't know the seller's circumstances. They could have lost their job/had a pay cut/be in poor health and may not be able to afford the horse any more.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Come on now, yes it's a sad advert but we don't know the seller's circumstances. They could have lost their job/had a pay cut/be in poor health and may not be able to afford the horse any more.
ok so why not PTS? mine is 24 and has cushings, if I couldn't afford to keep her properly I would never advertise her free , I would PTS at the yard where she is happy.....

Luci07

Visit site
As someone who is still forking out for a very healthy but not really rideable 28 year big mare... I am unsympathetic. Mine won't live out (and I really did try) and I struggle paying for her and my other horse as no, I don't have my own land/spare stable. She would be PTS before I would pass her on. You owe your horse if it gets to that age.

touchstone

Visit site
Far too risky imo. All the welfare agencies are advocating pts in these sort of circumstances, and for very good reason.

I do think that every horse owner who is contemplating doing this should visit the low end auctions to be fully aware of what could potentially happen, where you will often see elderly animals being dragged from sale to sale. A well loved friend deserves a better end. I think if there were that many folk wanting to take on an older horse that can only be lightly ridden at best, then the rescue centres would be mostly empty!

Loaning with regular checks would be far better in such situations I think

Luci07

Visit site
You see "free" rather than "loan" smacks to me of...and I don't want to pay for the horse to be PTS and disposed of...

madmav

Visit site
It's always a risk selling or, in this case, giving away a horse. But a young, fit horse has far more chance of finding a good home than a 27 year old, who is barely in work.
Personally, if I were the owner, I would take the hard, but kinder, decision of having him put down. He looks a good sort in the pic and has probably been a loyal servant. Owner now needs to think carefully about where he may end his days if she gives him away.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Then you do the right thing by the horse as a responsible owner and instead of sending it off to a completely unknown future you PTS. It's not rocket science to realise quite how much risk the horse is at.

Some time ago there was a user on here called teds mum who was great at offering homes when people were struggling - she promptly sold the horses on/for meat iirc so don't be surprised if this forum is not happy at free to good home ads

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think if there were that many folk wanting to take on an older horse that can only be lightly ridden at best, then the rescue centres would be mostly empty!

This is a very good point, there are wonderful homes for older/ companion horses, just not as many homes as there are ponies sadly and the bad people out number the good ones unfortunately.

SadKen

Visit site
I have just read one on gumtree doing the rounds on Facebook. The horse is 18, has a 'nerve condition' that makes his legs like jelly, is apparently not to be ridden but is fine for a small person or disabled person to go out for walks on the lead rein.

I don't know how anyone could in all good conscience suggest that someone puts their precious child on what sounds like a wobbler. Fgs. Put it to sleep.

This is going to make me angry all night.

SpringArising

Visit site
Then you do the right thing by the horse as a responsible owner and instead of sending it off to a completely unknown future you PTS.

Well by that logic no one should ever sell a horse no matter how old then.

As I said before, horses will end up in crappy homes whether they are three or thirty. Even if I sell a horse who is five for five grand, that absolutely does not guarantee that it's going to a good home.

For the holier than thou types who want to see a horse that actually needs rescuing, you're going to have to look a bit further afield that the classifieds of Horse and Hound.

Why do so many people think that once a horse reaches past twenty it's a virtual criminal offence to pass it on? Some horses can live for absolute years, and no matter how much some like to think that they are loved by their horses, as long as they're warm, have company, can mooch around the field and get a bucket shoved under their nose each day, they are most likely quite content.

I hope the horse finds a nice home and the owner doesn't see this thread.