Ad over there >>>>>>>>>>> Interesting colour.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Hmmmm looks more liver to me but maybe bad pics. Unless it has a dorsal stripe I wouldn't say dun. If Welsh then I'm sure they have varying ranges of silver dapple carrying chestnut.

Not a guru tho lol

Last edited by a moderator:

be positive

Visit site
I obviously don't read enough of the threads on colour genetics but by no stretch of the imagination would I call him a dun, in old terms I think he would simply be a chestnut with flaxen mane and tail but there is sure to be a more correct term now.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes, it's a shame that the better photos have writing all over them, but hopefully people can see enough of him to work out what he is.

ETA - BP, I can see exactly why you guessed flaxen, but that should have a 'yellowy/flaxy' tinge to it (unless combined with something like pangare which can result in a much whiter colour). The fact that the seller has described the main and tail as silver is actually quite helpful information. :)

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it's a flaxen chestnut not a silver bay, or one of those strange dark palos :p. I do think red based.

where the hell did they get dun from!!?

ester

Visit site
Frank's tail is not that dissimilar, it has a lot of white and black in it

10426198_10155069954220438_8075757961438827157_n.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Chestnut sabino? Or flaxen chestnut with sooty? Definitely not dun or buckskin IMO. And he looks too pale to be bay and too dark to be sooty palomino.

Noodles_3

Visit site
I am another one who would of said chestnut with flaxen mane and tail but I am no expert on colour!

Annagain

Visit site
No idea I just wait for you to tell us Faracat , but it's a very smart colour whatever it is .

This. If you hadn't asked I'd describe him as a chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail, but seeing as you have it's got to be something more interesting so I'll go sooty palomino based entirely on the info you provide on here and a complete lack of anything else to guess (my memory's not that great!)

BraidedTail

Visit site
I like these colour threads, they are very informative! - but this is the first time i've posted on one as I'm a real novice at these fancy colours! Having a guess with; chestnut base colour with grey gene? So would grey out in time? More to it than that no doubt!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My thoughts are that he's definitely chestnut based. I can't see any black on the ear tips and the hunting photo shows the ears nicely. The knees and hocks also don't show evidence that he would have black points without the white markings. I think that the 'grey' mane and tail are caused by the sabino that is also causing his white markings, so what is known as a Gulastra plume. I do have a huge soft spot for gulastra plumes as my old anglo had it in his tail.

Seamus.jpg

It can be much whiter than my boy had as shown below.

greytailedcolt.jpg

I did once see a horse that had it in the mane, but not the tail which is much rarer (just the tail seems to be the most common). Stupidly I didn't take a photo.

Compare to the yellowish/flax colour of my chap who is a flaxen chestnut (but no pangare).

d0e98a07-d875-48b6-839d-a2e2aecab82c_zpsff01546f.jpg

ester

Visit site
They did use a lot of copywrited photos! ditto I think it might also have sooty, but there has been lots of discussions at how that may or may not show on gingers :p

dark palo welshie to cover that bit ;)

11303426_10155551999850648_856924752_n.jpg

Barnacle

Visit site
I would say silver bay... But usually you can see the faded black on the knees/hocks a little and I don't think you can on this horse. So perhaps sooty flaxen chestnut (would not be inclined to guess palomino because the pangare-like effect on this horse is more typical of a chestnut base). The horse doesn't have a dorsal stripe (you can just about see in some of the pictures). But honestly, I'd ask what the parents were before presuming to know!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes there's a morgan that's an extreme sooty palomino too. It's also covered the mane and tail in his case. The interesting thing with this horse was that he was born palomino and went darker later.

heathermoorgoldbanner.jpg

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'd ask what the parents were before presuming to know!

Assuming that they know what colour the parents were. ;)

Working out the colour just by looking at the phenotype is always an educated guess, but it's fun to have a go and read people's thought processes as to why they think the horse is a certain colour. :D I've looked at him again and I really think that Silver is unlikely. He could have a touch of sooty, but I really don't see much evidence of it (possibly a touch in the indoor photo). All I can say is that IME, I believe that sabino is the most likely cause of the 'silver' mane and tail.

ester

Visit site
I think it is sooty that gets greater as they age as quite a few sooty palos seem to have gotten darker mane and tail as time goes on

Pangare does seem to do some odd things to colour too.

ester

Visit site
On one of the fb groups someone posted a nice series of a mane getting darker over time the other day. There is also a silver dapple/chestnut discussion I'll post a pic ;)

ester

Visit site

gryff

Visit site
He's very similar to mine and I never know what colour to call mine. He's very odd...almost palomino-y in the summer and dark chocolatey in the winter.

rara007

Visit site
We've had a lot of 'chestnuts' (Dads old 4 in hand was chestnut Welsh B's so we've probably had 14 or so, currently have one 'pure', one with pangare, one flaxen and one red dun) and Id group this with the lot of them- just chestnut :p

ester

Visit site
We've had a lot of 'chestnuts' (Dads old 4 in hand was chestnut Welsh B's so we've probably had 14 or so, currently have one 'pure', one with pangare, one flaxen and one red dun) and Id group this with the lot of them- just chestnut :p

not that unlike bobby?

ester

Visit site