Added benefits of horse ownership

pottamus

Visit site
I see so many wonderful things when out in the field with my horse or riding, wildlife, dewy spider webs, sunrise, low lying fog over a beautiful landscape..... but last night was the best yet!
I was walking along my electric fence line checking it as ever in the pitch black and my head torch on and as I approached the last but one post, there sat on top of it no more than a stretched arm width away was a beautiful tawny owl, just sat there watching me, so close I could touch it.
I have not seen anything so special and wonderful in a very long time, especially at that close quarters. It flew off after about 6 or so seconds, but I was privilaged to see it so close....amazing. And all because I have my horsey to do....how lucky am I.

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
Same. Had one so close to me on Saturday! Rode for 4 hours yesterday with a new HHO friend and we said how very lucky we were.

My OH is desperate to sort something 'special' for my birthday and cannot understand how I just 'want to trot round here for they day!'

This morning is my 1st jumping clinic so I may be on here later berrating riding & slating it from a broken boned bed haha. The other side of the coin!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yep, I love going to the yard on early mornings :)
Owls, bats (in the summer) and other furry/feathered things - makes you so aware of your surroundings - just can't believe those who wander around with earphones in, totally in their own world missing out on it all!

unicorndreams

Visit site
My added benefits have been seeing a weasel bounding along the path in front of us and a badger snuffling along the hedgerows - and oftentimes we'll stop at the top of the bridlepath and just take in the view across the countryside, soak up the peace and beauty of it all

staceyn

Visit site
Robins in the stable breeding in winter then the swallows come, fox cubs in the field and deer and loads of spiders mice and ladybirds

Brightbay

Visit site
Lovely thread and so true :). Unexpected night time visits to the field, and I have seen owls, foxes and deer. During the day, especially in spring and summer, I can sit in the long grass watching the hares.

Riding out, I have been so close to young deer - I know if it had been me on my own, I wouldn't have seen them, but because they're used to the scent of horse, we can get right up close, and stand watching each other.

The hedgerow has a family of yellowhammers too - I have never seen them anywhere else!

The field at dawn with the dew patterns and tiny spiderwebs on the grass stalks is amazing too.

And I can't think of another reason to be able to learn and identify 6 different type of grass, but there's something very satisfying about looking at a mature grass sward and being able to distinguish a meadow with timothy and poas from a cow field full of rye :D

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
The only weasel I saw was dragging a half dead rabbit across the road!!

I do love watching the foxes jump fences, the albino stag & his her we regularly stumble across oh & the swallows breeding in the stables every year dive- bombing our heads.

Last week we had 2 albino baby deer playing with our horses!!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I once found a young fledgeling owl when out riding. He was on a very low branch. I could have picked him up if I'd wanted. Bless, the little urchin shut his eyes as if to say, "If I can't see her, she can't see me!!" This is him...
248279_1891034089382_5221161_n.jpg

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I have keopt Great Grey Owls and also various hawks. I handreared a rescued baby Tawny a couple of years ago, they are beautiful.
Next year Im intending to get another Great Grey to train to fly from horse back for fun :D:D:D:D:D:D:D