Adding a 4th...dissuade us!

Lammy

Visit site
So me and the ponies have rather landed on our feet. New farm, they have all access passes to the yard, the gigantic cow shed and 5 acres of good grazing, no mud! The two oldies have paired off in a loved up whirlwind romance, 21 and 25 respectively they are rather enjoying each other’s calm company.

However it has left the 3rd, my youngster, feeling a bit left out. I keep finding him off on his own and when he comes over he splits the two oldies up, ears back and very grumpy toward the old guy who panics and runs off as soon as he sees him coming. It has been mentioned a couple of times by the YO that a pony his own age might be a good idea...there’s enough room and as hers is retired she could do with something to ride. Plus if we take ours out for a ride together it’ll leave the old boy on his own.

There’s a few on WWH that would fit the bill, smaller, young boy ponies that could be backed. It would be YO’s so only work I’d need to do is the backing which i’d Happily do for her this summer. It’s no extra work for her either as they come and go as they please so no mucking out. So just a little feed and a bit extra hay which they don’t eat much of anyway as the grass is so good.

So tell us it’s a bad idea and they wouldn’t be happier as a 4 rather than a 3... :D

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Can't see a problem, myself! ;)

I must admit though, that we lost 2 oldies about a year ago and have found that 2 are much easier than 4. Ours come in overnight in winter though.

Lammy

Visit site
I would get a 4th, but perhaps an older one so you don't have to do the backing.

This would be ideal but there’s not many about that fit the bill at a rescue centre. Even 6/7/8 year olds aren’t backed but say they have potential to be ridden. Plus I don’t mind, backed ponies before and my own most recently.

meleeka

Visit site
I’d say get the 4th too.’of course the youngster wants someone to play with and the oldies don’t need him hanging around causing trouble.

Reactions: tda

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Have a serious chat with your new YO before going this. If it's her horse but you are paying for feed and training it, it's essentially a loan but with the owner having use of the horse too. Decide who will pay for tack, vet bills and farrery etc. What happens if you decide to leave the yard or if the YO wants to sell the horse that you've trained.
Make sure you both discuss the details and don't assume that you are both thinking the same way. It would be lovely to have a 4th horse on the yard though. Good luck.

Lammy

Visit site
Have a serious chat with your new YO before going this. If it's her horse but you are paying for feed and training it, it's essentially a loan but with the owner having use of the horse too. Decide who will pay for tack, vet bills and farrery etc. What happens if you decide to leave the yard or if the YO wants to sell the horse that you've trained.
Make sure you both discuss the details and don't assume that you are both thinking the same way. It would be lovely to have a 4th horse on the yard though. Good luck.

Sorry I didn’t make myself too clear in my OP. I won’t be contributing any money or any feed, the only way it really concerns me is the fact it’ll be a companion for my younger horse and that I’ll get it going so she can hack it out safely. We help each other out in holidays but it’s not like it needs mucking out :)

JJS

Visit site
I see absolutely zero reason not to expand your brood, and if you're giving a rescue horse a home as a result, it's a resounding 'yes' from me!

Megan V1

Visit site
I had two and hated leaving one on its own when I rode so bought a mini, another two minis later and an elderly retired mare looking for a home now have six and I must say when I get up, look out of my kitchen window and see them all grazing together so contented it makes my day. love my little herd.