adding condition without adding energy

Asha

Visit site
Hello HHO ,

my new mare has just come back from being started. So looking for a feed to give that will add condition without energy.

Shes 7 , and has been a broodmare up until now, and came in a very poor condition. 16.3 WB rangy type.
I managed to get weight on with spillers mash and stud cubes ( as she was supposed to be in foal ). She looked great when she left to go the backers, but has slipped back ( as expected). She needs feeds that can be mashed /soaked as she is still having a lot done to her teeth, so cant have chop as it gets stuck in the gaps. She has soft poos too, so shes on protexin at the minute. Plus has adlib haylage, but doesn't eat as much as id like as it just takes her longer to chew.

Shes taken the backing process very well at the minute, but can be a bit spooky.

Any thoughts ? I was thinking Baileys no 4 condition plus the mash and protexin ?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
ETA I tried Baileys no 4 before I tried Pink Mash and Amber did not improve condition-wise on it. I tried 3 bags feeding as per before switching.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would just add micronised linseed if she can be feed reactive, I have Arabs that can't eat anything that is heating molasses and alfalfa sends them mental and my guess is Bailey's feeds have molasses added, mine can tolerate quite a bit of linseed but they are good doers so they don't get a huge amount anyway.

TPO

Visit site
Pink Mash and micronised linseed

Pink Mash isn't particularly calorific but it's marketed as being good for the himdguy and digestive health. It's worked for mine where higher calorie feed hasn't. I'm also a big fan of micronised linseed

Leo Walker

Visit site
Another for pink mash. Its amazing stuff if there any gut issues. It already has linseed in it, so if you find you need extra condition, then rice bran oil is incredibly calorific and a small amount can make a huge difference.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Another pink mash advocate. The difference in poo is as if we were comparing day and night.

Reactions: TPO

tallyho!

Visit site
Am I the only person that couldn't get my horse to eat pink mash?
I hold my hand up to say it did take a few goes.... she spat her food out for a week before she got used to it... but as they say - don't just point blank switch - add a bit in at a time.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I hold my hand up to say it did take a few goes.... she spat her food out for a week before she got used to it... but as they say - don't just point blank switch - add a bit in at a time.
Thanks, I might have another go. I only put a little in with her usual feed but she was quite angry that I'd suggested it! 😆

windand rain

Visit site
Pink mash here too after reading about it on here/ old boys poo is now normal after just green water running through him and he has put on a couple of kilos Old girls runny tummy was better after her first meal with it in took longer with old boy but got there in the end. Linseed is great added to it and I use emerald green grassnuts as the base

Reactions: TPO

Fiona

Visit site
Emerald green grass nuts and fast fibre work for our dentally challenged ID mare, she can still chew this mixture with a bit of grass chaff added to bulk it up.

She has stayed sane even on quite large feeds ..

Fiona

Asha

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Had a bit of a trolley dash yesterday at the feed store ! Bought some pink mash , grass nuts , bran , fast fibre mash and ordered the Equi jewel . ( the above isn’t all for her ! )
Plan is to gradually swop the fast fibre for the pink mash, then add the Equi jewel as a second feed . Grass nuts to pick on throughout the day .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Had a bit of a trolley dash yesterday at the feed store ! Bought some pink mash , grass nuts , bran , fast fibre mash and ordered the Equi jewel . ( the above isn’t all for her ! )
Plan is to gradually swop the fast fibre for the pink mash, then add the Equi jewel as a second feed . Grass nuts to pick on throughout the day .

I would be careful of the grass nuts to pick on throughout the day, I have found that some horses can be over faced when faced with feed a lot.

I bought one skinny horse and made him fat, moderate feeds but good rugging and a calm atmosphere. When I sold him he went skinny again, and the new owner asked how on earth I kept weight on. I went to the yard to have a look and although the living conditions were great, they were giving him huge feeds that he was turning away from. When given about 1/4 of a feed he tucked in and finished it off, and actually ate more that way. He clapped weight on.

I have also found that NAF Thrive gives them a great appetite. Most tack shops don't seem to stock it, but you can order from NAF.

Asha

Visit site
I would be careful of the grass nuts to pick on throughout the day, I have found that some horses can be over faced when faced with feed a lot.

I bought one skinny horse and made him fat, moderate feeds but good rugging and a calm atmosphere. When I sold him he went skinny again, and the new owner asked how on earth I kept weight on. I went to the yard to have a look and although the living conditions were great, they were giving him huge feeds that he was turning away from. When given about 1/4 of a feed he tucked in and finished it off, and actually ate more that way. He clapped weight on.

I have also found that NAF Thrive gives them a great appetite. Most tack shops don't seem to stock it, but you can order from NAF.

Thanks for the tip Red, it was the Saracens feed nutritionist that suggested the grass nuts , she recommended them in a treat ball , guess that would stop them gorging on it ?
The calm atmosphere has to have something to do with it. The place that backed her was the place I bought her from , and where she was bred . She clearly prefers our small quiet yard to where she’s spent her entire life ! I sent her feed with her and she was rugged , but still lost a lot of weight . Back home for 5 days and she’s already starting to look better as she’s not tucked up now.

tallyho!

Visit site
I used to use beet pulp, but I find pink mash far superior to just pulp. Depends what your needs are I guess.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I used to use beet pulp, but I find pink mash far superior to just pulp. Depends what your needs are I guess.

I feed beet and linseed, tried pink mash for about 3 months and have now gone back to beet and linseed.
Linseed seems to be the best for my sensitive digestion horse and the pink mash didn't seem to give the same benefit (though I appreciate this is contrary to most people's experience).