Adding straw...numpty question ?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I want to add straw to my boys' hay but I'm not sure how to do it....do I mix it together..?? Put it in separate nets/places..???
I plan to introduce it slowly but is a 30/70 straw/hay ratio ok, or should it be more/less..??

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you do nets usually then no harm in mixing in - they will take time to pick through the hay first then when on their knees starving (;)) reduce themselves to eating it.
If you have separate nets they will race through the hay as usual.

I had one that loved straw - he was from Ireland so I think bought up eating it. If I put it in the field in spring he would come over and eat straw over spring grass!

honetpot

Visit site
I have one that will binge on straw, on anything really, so he has it in a net. Others they have free access to a round bale, or a flap loose on the floor which they pick over. They will often eat straw over hay or grass, especially in spring, I think the fact its a different texture, and they have to chew it well must give them some sort of pleasure or fills the gut for longer.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I've never had the time or inclination to mix it. I just do a hay net and a straw net. If they guzzle their hay straight away then that's up to them. They can then pick at their straw as and when.

^^^ This.

Or with another I just put a couple of flaps of hay and one of straw in the same net. They hay always went first, usually it all went. Sometimes a bit of straw would be left.

J&S

Visit site
I mix it into their haynets, sort of make a hole and stuff it then more hay on top so it is really integrated. They used to leave it but now they are getting used to it and its pretty well all goes. In the mornings they get some mixed into their hay boxes and the make that last till bed time.

chaps89

Visit site
Life's too short for mixing in nets. Plus I soak hay, soggy straw would be grim!
They get soaked nets then loose straw/straw in a tub. When the hay runs out they'll eat the straw- means they always have forage to pick at and something going through their system but not so calorific - and cheaper - than hay.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I use two nets. It's just easier. If I had a lot of room in one I'd bung it in together but I don't see the point in mixing it up.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Cheers everyone. They have the main bulk of their hay on the ground with a couple of nets for entertainment. Will stick the hay and straw down together I think and do a netbof each :)

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 with free access to the yard and their stables .At this time of year they have their hay in a big container on the yard and 2X nets of straw tied to the wall above it ( so that any loose straw drops into the container ) , refilled morning and evening . They usually eat the hay first and then move on to the nets . The straw is my barometer for how much grass is coming through , once it starts to grow they will leave more of the straw until they are barely bothering with it , but if they're hungry they will clean up !