Addington sj report - thanks to those who send info!

ecrozier

Visit site
Just thought I would report as promised! Managed to talk a friend into grooming so did go to addington (having phoned to check!) and got there at 5, fairly busy lorry park and clear round chokka! Class started on time, I jumped towards end and warm up busy but not too bad - and managed to jump 3rd in the 85cm. Slightly frustrating 4 faults in each round but we were there for the practice - focus being not being scared of arena walls (yes really!) and ideally landing on correct lead or if not landing, changing smoothly and quickly. Didn't take any tight turns, or hurry him, and without the 4 fault itis would def have been placed in first class and probably 2nd too!
Little vid at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bTXaTmVK8Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Please be kind though, anyone who doesn't know history he is my first big horse (ie over 15.3 and that was a while ago) and also the first horse I have backed and produced totally from scratch, he was barely halter broken 2.5 year old when we got him, and it's taken a LONG time to learn to ride a horse with a proper jump! Still aware I sit up too soon in the air especially when he jumps big, hence why we are just doing 85cm class, am working on it actively. And right canter still needs more work (as does left but right is worse!)
Anyway, thanks again for the info those who posted. Was def worth the trip as second round started to feel much smoother and less rushed!!

NR99

Visit site
Only just got to see the video as could't get it to run on Ipad last night. He looks a lovely fella and you're doing a good job with him. I think it was a nice round from him, nothing majorley wrong with it, he settled into quite a nice rhythm and just lost it slightly on his turn back.

Addington looks like a nice venue, not been but probably doable for us.

_EVS_

Visit site
I think it looks like a very controlled, smooth round! From what little I can see (video v small?!) he has a great ground covering canter and a great back end (judging by the tail!) so if you have brought him on yourself give yourself a big pat on the back cos I think you have done a great job! And its very nice to see a rider using the corners and the space avaiable. Look forward to seeing more reports!! xx

ecrozier

Visit site
Thanks both!
NR99, he is a sweetheart, bless him. Yes the canter is coming, he is quite rhythmical naturally but think we have both rather 'tried to run before we could walk' so have stepped it back to 80/90 cm, rather than 1m jump off, and concentrating on landing on correct lead, maintaining the 'flow' and turning corners in balance etc.

EVS thanks :) I love him to bits but always lovely to hear others think he's a nice horse too and it's not just rose tinted specs! amazingly even using the full space available (we need it to gather ourselves together sometimes!!) we were still quick enough for a placing in both classes if hadnt had the 4 faults, and I'm not rushing at all - quite the reverse - so he must be covering the ground pretty well ;)
He's completely home produced, my OH sat on him first as I was on crutches at the time but he's never jumped with anyone apart from me on board, can count on one hand inc me and OH the number of people who have ridden him and has been sat on once by a pro on the flat for 10 mins (my trainer got on at end of lesson once!) so all compliments very gratefully recieved, been a case of the blind leading the blind at times but luckily he's very genuine and I have two fab instructors!!

KatB

Visit site
Hey well done! He looks lovely in the vid, and as he gets stronger and more balanced you will be picking up clear round after clear round I am sure :D Madam also has an arena wall phobia.... but luckily loves jumping so much it rarely causes too much of a problem...!! :p

kaya

Visit site
Just thought I would report as promised! Managed to talk a friend into grooming so did go to addington (having phoned to check!) and got there at 5, fairly busy lorry park and clear round chokka! Class started on time, I jumped towards end and warm up busy but not too bad - and managed to jump 3rd in the 85cm. Slightly frustrating 4 faults in each round but we were there for the practice - focus being not being scared of arena walls (yes really!) and ideally landing on correct lead or if not landing, changing smoothly and quickly. Didn't take any tight turns, or hurry him, and without the 4 fault itis would def have been placed in first class and probably 2nd too!
Little vid at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bTXaTmVK8Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Please be kind though, anyone who doesn't know history he is my first big horse (ie over 15.3 and that was a while ago) and also the first horse I have backed and produced totally from scratch, he was barely halter broken 2.5 year old when we got him, and it's taken a LONG time to learn to ride a horse with a proper jump! Still aware I sit up too soon in the air especially when he jumps big, hence why we are just doing 85cm class, am working on it actively. And right canter still needs more work (as does left but right is worse!)
Anyway, thanks again for the info those who posted. Was def worth the trip as second round started to feel much smoother and less rushed!!

wooooo go roo !! aunty kaya very proud !! and thank u for the cheesy chips :D

Rosiefan

Visit site
I hope you're proud of him and of yourself, you should be :). He's looking very relaxed and happy bless him. Have to agree though, you were a bit far away as far as the vid was concerned so hard to see much detail.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
Can't see much on the vid but what I can see he is looking much more mature and the canter is really coming on. Glad you had a good time - did do have to squish any of the whizzy ponies in the warm up!

To NR99, the venaue is amazing, the faclities are some of the best I am aware of. They normally run really good eventer trials early in the year, dressage, xc and sj all on a surface. We did a few a couple of seasons back as the ground was so poor and it got us really well set up for the season.

NR99

Visit site
Can't see much on the vid but what I can see he is looking much more mature and the canter is really coming on. Glad you had a good time - did do have to squish any of the whizzy ponies in the warm up!

To NR99, the venaue is amazing, the faclities are some of the best I am aware of. They normally run really good eventer trials early in the year, dressage, xc and sj all on a surface. We did a few a couple of seasons back as the ground was so poor and it got us really well set up for the season.

IIRC the thing that put me off was lots of comments about an unpleasant owner, it was a good while back and I may even have the wrong place, but I'll look them up and see what they have that we could go to. Thanks

MandyMoo

Visit site
looks a nice rhythmical round to me, well done :) he has a nice forward canter aswell, covers the ground well. you have done a very good job with him!

onwards and upwards eh? :D

Jane_Lou

Visit site
IIRC the thing that put me off was lots of comments about an unpleasant owner, it was a good while back and I may even have the wrong place, but I'll look them up and see what they have that we could go to. Thanks

Yes the owner is not nice, it is one of our local venues and we used to go there lots and I have never had any problems at all. The facilities are so good and the surfaces so nice it is worth it tbh! They do everything, we have done the winter unaf dressage league with a friends horse and one of the arena XC sessions although tbh we were not that impressed with that, the eventer trial however were good!

ecrozier

Visit site
Thanks all! Yes video was difficult - poor Kaya (aka supergroom!) only had my iPhone to video on, will try and take proper camera next time ;)
Re Addington, I've only been half a dozen times but facilities and surfaces are fantastic, not experienced any rudeness as yet although have heard about that before too. They run so many events, it's worth a trip ESP as Janelou says for the arena eventing!