Adequan injections

nelliefinellie

Visit site
After a nightmare day involving my power steering packing up and a burst tyre amongst other things, arrived at yard in stress-head mode tonight. My young horse is on a course of adequan, so I laid all the stuff out ready and waitied for the other livery to hold horse while I injected. Unfortunately as I was putting headcollar on horse one of the yard cats jumped on the side board and knocked the adequan vial over and it fell on the floor and broke- I have worked out they cost #65 each so that did not improve my mood. I was even more stressed by then , and though I have done loads of IM injections I must say I dont really like doing my own horses, and so when the other livery offered to do the injection (she is v experienced) I was quite relieved. However she put the needle in at an angle rather than perpendicular - I should have said something but it was sort of too late. Anyway after the injection there was a swellng on the neck as obviously some of the stuff had gone under the skin. I spent ages massaging it and lunged her lightly to get everything moving. It went down loads but there was still a bit of a swelling when I turned her out afterwards. Two questions : is this likely to cause a reaction, and also does it mean the adequan is less effective or will it get into the system eventually? Also (I guess that makes it three questions) is it critical that they get all 7 injections or will 6 (including one partially sub-cutaneous one!) be ok? She has also has intra-articular medication and so the adequan was a bit of a back up.

lastresort

Visit site
You should be ok i think it will absorb. did this before with some antibiotics and it went down and the horse got better!!

May i ask why you are using them. I have just finished a course for my mare?

nelliefinellie

Visit site
Thanks! Neck looks fine this morning! She has coffin joint inflammation. To be honest my vet didnt think the Adequan was going to make a huge difference as there were no changes on X rays, and there is some debate about whether adequan has a preventative role, but she spoke to a vet in Newmarket who thought it might help a bit. It will be hard to assess if it does anything as she's also had her joints medicated and her shoes changed.