Adequate insurance for vet cover?

Luci07

Visit site
The post about the Shetland and the 10k for colic surgery has worried me. I am with NFU and my limit per claim/claim per year is £5k. That also would include transport etc but excludes livery costs. However..should I realistically consider increasing this?

wills_91

Visit site
I had the choice with mine and went for 5k (stupidly) one lameness issue this year had already hit the 5k mark once you start blocking, x ray ing, scanning etc etc it adds up hellish fast. If course it doesn't help that I've had to take my mare up to the equine clinic 5 x and it's £100 in fuel and ferry each time. If you can't up it then start putting extra in a savings account.

Elbie

Visit site
I work in equine insurance. It is rare I see a claim for colic surgery over 5k but find if it does go over it tends to go OVER!

Some companies do offer more than 5k limit but it would come at a cost premium wise. 5k does seem to be the standard. Every year they seem to talk about increasing limits but tends to be the opinion 5k is generally adequate.

BuzzyBea

Visit site
For colic we ended up down £15k :(

Had to go to Rossdales once for a twist (non surgical,) then back for a laparoscopy less than a month later where IBD was diagnosed. Required 2 long courses of steroids then antacids, plus months and months of tests and trials. 9 months later he was PTS with an impaction.

We were insured with NFU for £5k vet fees which although wouldn't have covered it would have been a big help. Vet fees over the 9/10 months (both Rossdales and my own vet) amounted to just under £10k however NFU were quick to decline payment due to a totally unconnected gaseous episode 18 months previously. I will never reccommend NFU again let alone insure with them. I foolishly believed I was a valued customer and that they would fairly view my case and take into account the statements from 2 vets and the surgeon at Rossdales stating that the 2 episodes cannot have been connected - no question. Even the Ombudsman agreed that there was no connection however stated the wording of the policy meant NFU could decline.

As a final stab in the heart they also refused to pay my PTS costs (spearate on the policy) or his insured value of £5k. Therefore meaning that I am £10k out of pocket for vets fees plus have to find another £5k to buy a new horse.

I am past being angry but want to say to people to read the small print of your policy very carefully and never assume that the company cares for you as a human being whose heart is broken at the time. Rather than supporting you they may well give you an extra kick while you're down there on the floor!!

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
I'm surprised at that, NFU were more than fair to me over a navicular case that went on over a considerable length of time. They could have could have jusifiably said it was all one incident but were more than fair and helpful. They paid out more than £15k in the end (I was insured for £5k vets fees).

BuzzyBea

Visit site
I'm surprised at that, NFU were more than fair to me over a navicular case that went on over a considerable length of time. They could have could have jusifiably said it was all one incident but were more than fair and helpful. They paid out more than £15k in the end (I was insured for £5k vets fees).

Sadly can't explain it and they appeared to give it very little thought but simply referred back to the document wording stating that it didn't matter that the incidents were unrelated. One vet wrote saying that it was ridiculous and like comparing a mare experiencing stomach pain (colic) whilst giving birth and our boy having IBD and suggesting that they are the same thing. The surgeon at Rossdales was dumbfounded.

I paid a good amount of money every year for a policy that I thought would cover me when I needed it. This was my first claim on a horse that I insured with them for 7 1/2 years.