Adjustable Gullet Question

3OldPonies

Visit site
Help! Apart from the fact my bum is too small for the saddle I ride a friend's horse in (saving up for a gel out seat saver), I noticed something I think is a bit odd this weekend. When I picked the saddle up it sort of 'squidged' on my arm and became narrower (the flaps got closer together), on inspection I spotted that the gullet plate, a white Bates gullet, looked as though there was a gap between it and the fixing when the saddle was in its 'squidged' state. I'm not explaining this very well, but it looked to me like it was loose, and not screwed in properly.

I've never had an adjustable saddle, but this doesn't seem quite right to me, should I ask my friend to tighten it back up? Could it be caused by the saddle being used on a smaller pony and the girth being tightened and forcing the fixings out of their holes? If this is the case will the thread be stripped and it not possible to tighten the gullet back up?

Batgirl

Visit site
STOP RIDING in it immediatley, get it fixed probably loose screw but could be worse).

and BTW a gel out seat saver will make the saddle even smaller for you!

dianchi

Visit site
Very easy to tell, just pull the velcro down and you will see if the screws have come out or loose.
YES you need to check it, think of the screw digging in like a stone in your shoe :)

If saddle is being correctly used/fitted , will make no difference how many horses its used on

Fransurrey

Visit site
STOP RIDING in it immediatley, get it fixed probably loose screw but could be worse).

and BTW a gel out seat saver will make the saddle even smaller for you!
Agree on both points. I have a wintec which is too small for me, but fits the pony great! The gel out does make it even smaller. The gullet definitely sounds like it's undone and will cause damage to saddle and pony if not rectified.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I will point it out to the owner so that she can get it fixed, I thought things weren't as they should be.

Oh, and I made a mistake in my original post - the saddle is too big for my small bum - that's why the seat saver!!!!!! Oops :(

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
As has been said the gullet is easy to check. Turn the saddle over & pull the velcro flap down under the gullet. This will reveal the white gullet (I think white is 'wide'). You will be able to see the retaining screws & these should be tight. If they aren't then tighten them & if one is missing then replace it. Don't use the saddle until it's been checked & tightened or you could do injury to the horse..... & it won't do the saddle much good either.

dianchi

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I will point it out to the owner so that she can get it fixed, I thought things weren't as they should be.

Oh, and I made a mistake in my original post - the saddle is too big for my small bum - that's why the seat saver!!!!!! Oops :(

I would look yourself and use a screwdriver!

3OldPonies

Visit site
I possibly will take a screwdriver to it, but I will make the owner aware too - she uses it on her other horse as well and may well use it again before I'm back at her yard (we're on different ones).

That's why the question about could using it on a smaller pony have caused the problem. To put it into context it gets used on a 16 hh heavy cob and a 14.1 cobby pony.