Admitting defeat... sensibly!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I also think it is brave to reflect on what has happened and accept criticism. I know several people who would buy unbacked in Spring to back and sell on in Autumn - 'summer project' type thing. Easy unbacked horses can do well on this time frame and a just backed/ridden away pony is easier to sell than unbacked. Plus the process is very satisfying and enjoyable. So I can see why the OP got herself in a mess. And having bought a few on impluse myself I can sympathise with the 'oops I have another pony' syndrome too.

I think what people might miss out when they do this is the 'what will I do if it goes tits-up' plan. Or the 'what if I can't sell' plan. I have no problem with buying and selling but I do hate irresponsible selling or just passing on a problem for someone else to sort out. Once you own a pony I feel you have a commitment to that pony to secure its future as far as you reasonably can. Which does not include passing on as a companion, being sold very cheap or 'free to a good home'. But again credit to OP I think she is now making a plan that is a better one for the pony than just passing on yet again.

Good luck with it.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Thanks all for advice whether it be hard to listen to or not. Your all right I've taken things far to quickly for my own benefit- doing just as others have done.
Becoming the person I despise and thinking too much of targets :(

His local ad will remain up on the off chance the someone wants a little coblet companion to which he would be ideal for.

But for now we will go back to basics on the ground!
Apologies for this thread.

Oh bless you, you're a bigger person than most. We live and learn eh, hope you get him through it after some chill out time

SpringArising

Visit site
This thread shows the worst of the horse-world. Someone makes a mistake and instead of receiving help and support they get nasty posts thrown at them.

People make mistakes. Horses make mistakes. Sometimes that leads to disaster! Sometimes we're impulsive and take a punt knowing full well it's not the best idea. Millions of horses are sold every day for a hundred and one different reasons.

OP's Cob doesn't sound ready to be ridden but I highly doubt he's looking back on the experience he's had with PTSD.

OP, if I were you I would advertise him brutally honestly, give it six weeks or so and if you still don't have interest, PTS. Best of luck to you!

AandK

Visit site
He was bought as a project- unbroken. Unfortunately he has been very misold throughout his life which is heartbreaking and does make me lean toward PTS.
Investigating would be fine but financially I'm unwilling to spend any more than I already have, I do not believe pain is behind it and more mismanagment but I do not have the time to spend as he "was" a quick and easy project.

Quick and easy project and unbroken are not compatible. Poor pony.

ETA, having read the rest of the thread now I wanted to add, I don't think anyone has been nasty on here, just brutally honest. And sometimes, in cases like this, that is needed. Instead of saying 'oh what a shame, nevermind, I am sure someone will have him' it's been a bit of a reality check. As soon as this pony showed signs of being difficult, a big step back should have been taken and the process slowed right down. Anyone buying a project to turnaround quickly has to be prepared for it to not happen as planned. The OP has taken the comments with good grace, and accepted the lessons learned.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think the problem is when people don't read the whole thread before replying tbh :wink3:
Then it comes across as though people are still having a go when the OP has already acknowledged her mistake and been very gracious about it.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think the problem is when people don't read the whole thread before replying tbh :wink3:
Then it comes across as though people are still having a go when the OP has already acknowledged her mistake and been very gracious about it.

I agree MP. And I'd add that anyone who has spent any significant amount of time with horses would be delusional or very lucky if they hadn't made a few mistakes along the way.

SpringArising

Visit site
ETA, having read the rest of the thread now I wanted to add, I don't think anyone has been nasty on here, just brutally honest.

It's easy to say it's not nasty when it hasn't been directed at you. Saying 'Never get a young pony again', 'I wish this was a troll', 'This makes me sigh' etc. IS nasty, and hurtful - OP has feelings and is most likely trying her very best for herself and the pony.

And MP I did read the full thread if your comment was for me - whether or not the OP admitted she made a mistake doesn't change the previous replies.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
It's easy to say it's not nasty when it hasn't been directed at you. Saying 'Never get a young pony again', 'I wish this was a troll', 'This makes me sigh' etc. IS nasty, and hurtful - OP has feelings and is most likely trying her very best for herself and the pony.

And MP I did read the full thread if your comment was for me - whether or not the OP admitted she made a mistake doesn't change the previous replies.

I think MP meant that some of the later, angry replies had been made without the authors reading through to the last post from the op first. So their replies are unnecessarily brutal.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Passing this pony on again after only four weeks of ownership is not trying her best for the pony, though, is it ? Not by the slightest stretch of the imagination.

The OP made an absolutely great post in response and the thread should imo have been allowed to rest on that post. I'll repeat it in case anyone missed it.

Thanks all for advice whether it be hard to listen to or not. Your all right I've taken things far to quickly for my own benefit- doing just as others have done.
Becoming the person I despise and thinking too much of targets

His local ad will remain up on the off chance the someone wants a little coblet companion to which he would be ideal for.

But for now we will go back to basics on the ground!
Apologies for this thread.

Last edited: