Admitting defeat... sensibly!

Lintel

Visit site
So having bought the 13hh coblet 6 weeks ago I'm saddened to say he will have to go. I do not have the time or patience this little chap deserves at the moment.
He is not a simple project by any means, there may or may not be underlying pain issues.
I suppose my question is where would you advertise?
I'm sure his issues will be resolved with alot of time and patience or equally he would make a superb companion.
I don't want him to go to the wrong home and I will be advertising him very honestly.
Suggestions?
At 6 years old and good health/good temperament I wouldn't be thinking about PTS- just yet.

Last edited:

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Speaking from the perspective of someone who is looking for a new companion creature, at the bare minimum I would want to know whether or not there really were any underlying pain issues. I don't feel that it's right to claim that he has "good health/good temperament" without that information. Probably not the answer that you wanted.

DD

Visit site
there's Project Horses Horses4homes and H&H Horsedeals and local magazines. Just be very honest in your advert and vet prospective buyers very carefully.

matt_m

Visit site
Euthanasia might be the kindest option. Poor thing being passed around from pillar to post. Could you not at least investigate his issues further so that you know what you are dealing with?!

Lintel

Visit site
Euthanasia might be the kindest option. Poor thing being passed around from pillar to post. Could you not at least investigate his issues further so that you know what you are dealing with?!

He was bought as a project- unbroken. Unfortunately he has been very misold throughout his life which is heartbreaking and does make me lean toward PTS.
Investigating would be fine but financially I'm unwilling to spend any more than I already have, I do not believe pain is behind it and more mismanagment but I do not have the time to spend as he "was" a quick and easy project.

stormox

Visit site
He was bought as a project- unbroken. Unfortunately he has been very misold throughout his life which is heartbreaking and does make me lean toward PTS.
Investigating would be fine but financially I'm unwilling to spend any more than I already have, I do not believe pain is behind it and more mismanagment but I do not have the time to spend as he "was" a quick and easy project.

Do you mean there are problems breaking and riding him? Or other issues? How is an unbroken horse mis-sold unless its health problems? I am a bit confused,why buy a 'project'if you havent the time and patience for one? I would advertise him totally honestly and hope the right person comes along who understands theres no such thing as 'quick and easy' breaking....

twiggy2

Visit site
I am confused Lintel, you said you felt really sorry for him as he had had 7 previous homes in a previous post and now you are looking at passing him on again?
He at least needs to have a full vet work up before going to a new home and if that is not going to happen then he needs to be put to sleep.
He is the sort of Pony people think will be easy but as you have said he has huge issues, someone has to stop passing him from pillar to post by either committing to him and sorting or getting him sorted so he is a useful pony or putting him to sleep to end this cycle of confusion, new owners/yards and unsettlement.
Sorry but you need to step up here, he is your responsibility.

irishdraft

Visit site
Not sure anyone is able to buy a guaranteed 'simple ' project in the horse world. A project., in my book , means there are probably issues , unbroken means the animal needs backing which may or may not be easy.

AFB

Visit site
I'm baffled about why you've even bought this pony if you don't have the time, patience or funds for a project??

Hopefully someone will step up and take the responsibility nobody has bothered to so far for him.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How I wish you were a troll with a couple of posts to your name. Poor, poor pony to be passed on again after a few weeks. If you won't keep him, please put the poor creature out of his misery.

buddylove

Visit site
Bought a project but don't have the time or patience???
If you won't PTS can you turn him away until you do have the time and patience to investigate his issues?
Please don't pass him on again 😥

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not sure anyone is able to buy a guaranteed 'simple ' project in the horse world. A project., in my book , means there are probably issues , unbroken means the animal needs backing which may or may not be easy.

^^ this!

I don't mind a project at all, but agree they are not straightforward and that's why they are projects :( you never quite know what you're getting into. I've always taken on horses knowing I'll 100% do the right thing by them, even if that's a one way trip to the kennels (came close a few years ago!)

OP I think you have to PTS if you aren't prepared to give him a veterinary MOT. If you change your mind on that then I'd say you will find him another home, but word of mouth is probably the best bet to get a secure future.

also agree on the time scales. I find 12 months is not an unusual amount of time to really get to the crux of an issue and start to build a partnership with a horse.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What happened to enjoying the buzz of de-sensitising? Committing to 10-12 months to bring something on?

How can you actually throw the towel in after 4 weeks??

The more I read this and your previous posts I'm more than a little surprised tbh.

JillA

Visit site
there's Project Horses Horses4homes and H&H Horsedeals and local magazines. Just be very honest in your advert and vet prospective buyers very carefully.

I just googled Project Horses because it was a good site for people rehoming to people who understood what a project would involve, but couldn't find it. Is it still going?

Lintel

Visit site
I'll explain fully-
He was bought as being calm and unbroken/untouched which I have experience of. He has turned out I suspect to be broken before(badly) and passed from pillar to post(judging by passport). He panicked at movement around his side's and back. We have got to the point of things around him being ok and a rider on him being ok- but he remains very tense about this and the slightest of movement can panic him- although at times he is ok - legs flapping etc.
If he moves with a rider he panics, throws himself around bucking/twisting- anything to get rid of the cause of panic.
We tried weights today, he was initially ok then got himself into an entire panic has torn the D rings/leathers off the saddle that were securing the weight.

He has been seen by the vet, everything checks out well. He will never pass a 5 stage, he is pidgeon toed, very short backed but works sound, teeth were also surprisingly in good condition and had been done recently. Haven't contacted chiro as I was waiting to see how we progressed- clearly not well but I don't believe a chiro will be the miracle cure!

Upshot of this.
I'm left feeling deflated and although I see bits of progress realistically I'm out of my depth.
I do not have the space to accomdate him all winter nor the finances to continually look for an answer to his issues.
I have no idea what has happened to him, how far people have got with his ridden career- could there be other issues?
OH is less than amused that I've been thrown twice so far, luckily without injury.- so it's a constant house battle.

I know if I keep going perhaps I will see more improvement but by then winter will be upon us and it will be a nightmare selling and I'll be more out of pocket and potentially still stuck with a companion.

I'm really not sure which avenue to go. I tend to react quickly and don't put alot of thought into my actions, hence the reason I have him in the first instance.

CJoe

Visit site
A project? which you gave 4 weeks...this makes me sigh...most of my projects have taken years and have never been passed on if they didnt make it as a useful member of the equine society.....PTS it is kinder, poor pony!!!

Why sell it? seriously? cheaper to PTS, poor thing will just get passed around once more and again and again, I personally couldnt live with that.

As for his actions with a rider on, how can you blame him? I wouldnt even be thinking of saddling up yet, sounds like there are huge trust issues, possible pain issues either real or remembered and all rush rush rush!

It all smacks as "out of pocket" being your main consideration. This sucks, PTS

buddylove

Visit site
I'll explain fully-
He was bought as being calm and unbroken/untouched which I have experience of. He has turned out I suspect to be broken before(badly) and passed from pillar to post(judging by passport). He panicked at movement around his side's and back. We have got to the point of things around him being ok and a rider on him being ok- but he remains very tense about this and the slightest of movement can panic him- although at times he is ok - legs flapping etc.
If he moves with a rider he panics, throws himself around bucking/twisting- anything to get rid of the cause of panic.
We tried weights today, he was initially ok then got himself into an entire panic has torn the D rings/leathers off the saddle that were securing the weight.

He has been seen by the vet, everything checks out well. He will never pass a 5 stage, he is pidgeon toed, very short backed but works sound, teeth were also surprisingly in good condition and had been done recently. Haven't contacted chiro as I was waiting to see how we progressed- clearly not well but I don't believe a chiro will be the miracle cure!

Upshot of this.
I'm left feeling deflated and although I see bits of progress realistically I'm out of my depth.
I do not have the space to accomdate him all winter nor the finances to continually look for an answer to his issues.
I have no idea what has happened to him, how far people have got with his ridden career- could there be other issues?
OH is less than amused that I've been thrown twice so far, luckily without injury.- so it's a constant house battle.

I know if I keep going perhaps I will see more improvement but by then winter will be upon us and it will be a nightmare selling and I'll be more out of pocket and potentially still stuck with a companion.

I'm really not sure which avenue to go. I tend to react quickly and don't put alot of thought into my actions, hence the reason I have him in the first instance.

To be brutally honest there are enough non-descript pony cobs out there that are saints on legs, one with issues has no chance. PTS, and chalk up to experience, some things aren't meant to be

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Pigeon toed doesn't mean a vet fail.

Still, you have had this horse for 4 weeks, and if he's as bad as you say you've actually done remarkably well.

Winter is 4 months away (Not the 10 - 12 you had originally planned for).

Lintel

Visit site
Pigeon toed doesn't mean a vet fail.

Still, you have had this horse for 4 weeks, and if he's as bad as you say you've actually done remarkably well.

Winter is 4 months away (Not the 10 - 12 you had originally planned for).

I'm surprised I though they would have failed from a confirmation point of view? The 10-12 months was unrealistic or me, I don't remember saying it but I'm sure I have a some point! In my head I always had him.leaving before January... or hoping at least.
I'm just at a loss today, so disheartened and disappointed with myself really. I knew at the start I didn't have oodles of time or thousands to spend on investigations but I still went ahead... "typical me style".

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Sounds like you should have been spending several months just getting his trust before even thinking of putting tack on him never mind riding him.

ihatework

Visit site
So very sad for the horse,

For anyone else considering taking on a project, three questions to ask yourself
1) am I prepared to shoot it if it’s a complete dud?
2) am I prepared to pay for the horse to go to a professional if it’s too much for me?
3) am I prepared to fund unexpected Vet investigations
4) am I prepared to invest significantly more time that initially planned

If the answer to all those is ‘no’ buy a rocking horse

doodle

Visit site
Spend the winter with him getting his trust. You have only had hin 4 weeks. Then if still not working pts.

I bought a horse. Again seller saw me coming. I struggled for 18months to back him and got nowhere. Had full vets checks (vet tried very hard to find something) physio, pro riders even and animal communicator. Got nowhere.

I eventually gifted him to my friend who was helping me and making some prigress. Big mistake. He was passed on again, they tried again and had hin pts. My upset was not that he was pts but that i had allowed him to have 2 more homes rather than pts myself.