adults hunting ponies....

Toffee44

Visit site
Does any one on here hunt a pony rather than a horse? Not this season coming but defo 12/13 I want to be back out. I have a 14.1hh Welsh x @moment. My local hunt is cowdray I have a feeling I'm gonna look a bit silly on a pony?

Show me pics of your hunting ponies please and what comments do you get?

asmp

Visit site
Took our 14.2 cubbing last season and he might have been the smallest there but he was the most embarressing! I didn't know a horse could go backwards so fast! As long as you fit the pony and it can easily carry you for a few hours, then go for it.

Suziq77

Visit site
I don't see the problem, my mare is only 15hh so she's a "little one" in horse terms anyway. My 14.2hh was a fantastic hunter and there's no way I'd have stopped riding him once I got over the age of 21! As long as you're both comfortable with each other that's all that matters,

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Crikey - don't worry. I hunted a 13.2hh pony a few times for a friend last year with the Portman who are quite smart and noone blinked at all. I did have a few laughs from friends who are used to seeing me on big horses but that was it!!

I've gone from hunting big horses to little ones/ponies and love it. Don't worry a bit - just go out and have fun.

Weezy

Visit site
I hunted a 14.2hh Welsh Sec D last season, I am 5ft10 and a half! I had the pee taken out of me for fun from my friends who are hunt servants, but other than that I had a brilliant time on him and he loved it - just go do it and enjoy :D

Photo...not my pony so no comments on him please, and yes, he can carry me easily, he is broad and strong ;)

Screenshot2011-07-21at094326.png

Last edited:

TED2010

Visit site
Several years ago now my mother took on my 14.1 Welsh sec D x TB jumping pony when I outgrew her and had many fantastic days out hunting, she is about 5'8 and slim build but certainly didn't look too big on the pony. Depending on the country you hunting, can be advantageous to be riding a pony as they can be quicker in reacting and more sure footed. I wish I could still ride ponies but it just doesn't feel comfortable anymore!!

arizonahoney

Visit site
I will be hunting the 13.2hh this season... I only hope and pray that I have brakes!! But it's not too far to the ground anyway :D

marmalade76

Visit site
I used to hunt a 14.1 when I was 21-22. This is us at a bloodhound meet.

249154_203448206357987_100000784278256_508438_3477424_n.jpg

225334_203448243024650_100000784278256_508440_5164303_n.jpg

I now have a 14.2 which I hunt now and again, don't have any pics of him hunting, but this is he & I in a novice WH class, which he won beating plenty of bigger animals!:-

C34_44562.jpg

He seems to be very popular on the hunting field, I've even had folks asking me to let them know if I ever want to sell!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I hope to take my 14.1 haflinger out with the SouthDowns bloodhounds this year.

HEHE we took baby haflinger hunting end of last season!! (hes 15hh) be prepared for many many comments on how gorgeous yours is! Everyone was amazed at ours out hunting, saying things like ohhhhhh is he an Exmoor cross?? So many ppl wanted to buy him! We plaited ours, will you be plaiting yours?? xx

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
No you won't be laughed at, I'm normally on a pony or at least a small horse, alltho being only about 5"2 I don't look that big on them. My top hunting horse is my 14.2 spotty one, as I can trust her to jump most things, she has also been ridden by the master. My new horse is only about 15.1 as well. The only time I was laughed was when I was hunting a pony that was about 12.3 and that was only by the hunt staff who were friends, prop the same as weezy. And the best way not to be laughed is offer to do the gates etc, as alot easier to jump on and off the smaller ones, annoying but useful!

Clava

Visit site
HEHE we took baby haflinger hunting end of last season!! (hes 15hh) be prepared for many many comments on how gorgeous yours is! Everyone was amazed at ours out hunting, saying things like ohhhhhh is he an Exmoor cross?? So many ppl wanted to buy him! We plaited ours, will you be plaiting yours?? xx

I can cope with being told how gorgeous she is :D, I just hope she behaves like a gorgeous horse as I only backed her in March (she is 6yr old), so far so good, she's going really well :), (I rescued her looking like a toast rack last September). I do plan on doing a sewed in running plait and her tail fully plaited and tied up (will hide the fact it is slightly short from the foal eating it). Do you have any pics of your haffy out hunting - I would LOVE to see them:)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I used to hunt my 14.2hh Sec D - I am 5ft4, weighed about 9.5st and was in my mid 20s! I had loads of fun hunting him, he was so much easier than the 17hh monster I have now who can be a bl00dy nightmare! Give me a pony any day! :)

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I can cope with being told how gorgeous she is :D, I just hope she behaves like a gorgeous horse as I only backed her in March (she is 6yr old), so far so good, she's going really well :), (I rescued her looking like a toast rack last September). I do plan on doing a sewed in running plait and her tail fully plaited and tied up (will hide the fact it is slightly short from the foal eating it). Do you have any pics of your haffy out hunting - I would LOVE to see them:)

Haffie in question is a friends horse, sure they won't mind me posting.... by the way his rider is 6 foot 2 and horsey is 15hh.. and I think they look fab! will just sort out a photo

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
clean at the meet:-
043.jpg

Just set off
063.jpg

Hot and excited (was March and 20C)
093.jpg

Seriously loved his first days hunting EVER and has that striking typical hunter pose hehe
099.jpg

He is just and very green, and was prefectly behaved out hunting, so don't be worried haha xx

Hobbitpony

Visit site
[QUOTE He seems to be very popular on the hunting field, I've even had folks asking me to let them know if I ever want to sell![/QUOTE]

Thats because he's fab!! :D I've hunted ponies and I love it, so long as the jumping is within their scope and they can carry me, why not? Ponies are more nippy and agile, good in trappy situations and they are a heck of a lot easier to get on/off at gates.

Clava

Visit site
DD - thankyou so much for those pics:D he looks lovely! I wont be able to plait traditionally as she has way too much mane to squeeze into them, but I think a really tidy running one will look smart too. I can't wait!

Interesting in that your friend's haffy isn't clipped? Mine grows a very thick long coat so I was thinking I would have to clip her.

Last edited:

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
DD - thankyou so much for those pics:D he looks lovely! I wont be able to plait traditionally as she has way too much mane to squeeze into them, but I think a really tidy running one will look smart too. I can't wait!

I pulled his short for the winter and have let it grown long for the summer, yes running plait will look loverly!! He was unfit there, over the summer has has grown alot, seems to have doubled in size..... his rider always feels too leggy on him being 6 foot 2... but so many ppl commented at the meet he didn't look big on him, think its cos hes a big wide boy.. hes hoping he will grow another hand ROFL!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site

Interesting in that your friend's haffy isn't clipped? Mine grows a very thick long coat so I was thinking I would have to clip her.

Sorry just saw the clipped remark!! Yes it was literally end of March so didn't want to do a clip just before summer, hes never been clipped before!

So all summer we have had clippers on getting him used to it, you know what haffies are like, you got to ask them nicely, not bully them!! He will be clipped out this year, he sweats like a pig!! XX

Clava

Visit site
Sorry just saw the clipped remark!! Yes it was literally end of March so didn't want to do a clip just before summer, hes never been clipped before!

So all summer we have had clippers on getting him used to it, you know what haffies are like, you got to ask them nicely, not bully them!! He will be clipped out this year, he sweats like a pig!! XX

I haven't started that discussion with her yet...I better get a move on!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Not a great photo but me, 5ft 8", on my 14.2hh Welsh Cob at a meet back in.. erm... 2007? On one memorable occasion we were out until dark and she still jogged and fannied about on the way home, full of beans. :)

215511_1016646174305_1169616200_52707_8170_n.jpg

sonjafoers

Visit site
PF1.jpg

That's me on the left on my hackney x cob. She is just over 14.1hh, goes like a bomb, jumps anything and never ever gives up :D

Paddydou

Visit site
Go and enjoy yourself. I took to riding my larger shetland in a vain attempt to keep some weight off of him as I couldn't find a rider small enough that would come regularly! I have long and fat legs for my height (5ft4 34 in leg) so looked bloomin daft but he carried me well and it kept him going in the interim. We all put far too much stock on looks these days. What matters the most is can it do the job?!