Adults riding exmoors

poppyblossom

Visit site
Now that my highland is retired I’m looking ahead to what type of pony I might get for riding next....

I really like exmoors and used to ride a friends when I was younger and loved his spunky attitude. I’m looking to do hacking, showing and maybe the odd we pop over a jump. I’m 5 foot 1, and working my way down to 10 stone, currently at 10 1/2. I had seen a pony that was 13hh (possibly overheight for showing??), I had a fell that was 13.1hh so know I wouldn’t feel big on on a pony that size height wise, but I’m just wondering what sort of weight would be suitable for an Exmoor??

Anyone who has exmoors your advice would be greatly appreciated 😊😊😊

Thanks folks xx

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
You'd be fine :) I would think. As long as they are well put together. Edinburgh university runs a trekking centre with exmoors and their weight limit is higher than that.

teddypops

Visit site
I used to ride an amazing exmoor who was 13.1hh. I’m 5’5” and around 9 1/2 stone.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I had a little Exmoor mare on loan from a friend for eighteen months. I'm 5'3 and at that time was nine-and-a-half stone. Pony was one of the smaller Exmoors at 12.2hh.

We were fine!

These ponies historically used to carry Exmoor farmers for a day's hunting, and then bring home the Bag as well as, so I wouldn't over-worry.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Thanks for ur replies 😊 ur giving me hope that I might be able to look for one yeyyy xx

all I would say is that there are some that do well in showing that I'd not choose as an all round riding pony, too many with spindly legs and too much hair. A good 12.3h Exmoor will look (and ride) a lot bigger than they look and there are a couple of breeders I know turning out great family ponies. Beware anything that isn't registered with the EPS, there are breeders who have made up their own society and while the ponies might be fine, breeding records aren't what they should be and they won't be eligible for EPS showing.

Mine is 12.3h and a cracker, but I am too big to ride him and I've not found anyone else yet I'd trust with him-had him since weaning-he comes to call, gives the best smooches and just has the loveliest temperament.
IMG_8514.JPG

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes an Exmoor will take you, the only things you'll find quite different is a shorter pace and the much shorter neck than say a Highland pony. Shorter neck means you need to adjust your riding a little (most small breeds riders do this unconsciously) as being an adult you will feel tall to start with. If you find a bucker or a shoulder dropper, then don't get it as it's easy to go out the front door v quickly lol. Otherwise follow the good advice above from MOC.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I've never found them that short in front TFF but then I had a little lusitano that was like sitting on a cliff edge :D but in comparison, my Fell has a huge front end with lots in front of me.

there are a lot of Exmoors with a big barrel and narrow shoulders -they are hard to saddle fit and hard to get a saddle to stay put. Neither of mine have been like this but they are both from a breeder who isn't fashionable for showing (he bred them to drive).

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I am 5'3 and my Exmoor is 13.1hh, so above the "preferred" height range, but doesn't exclude us from showing. He's quite long in front with a great length of rein.

65145673_10157735576459739_3709913323454595072_n.jpg

He's by Darshill Sunfire, Ex Frithesden Singing Grass, who is a big mare herself.

He's a chunky lad.

64712690_10157707406229739_5942713236909457408_n.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I've never found them that short in front TFF but then I had a little lusitano that was like sitting on a cliff edge :D but in comparison, my Fell has a huge front end with lots in front of me.

there are a lot of Exmoors with a big barrel and narrow shoulders -they are hard to saddle fit and hard to get a saddle to stay put. Neither of mine have been like this but they are both from a breeder who isn't fashionable for showing (he bred them to drive).
H14?

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I produced one of his mares years ago, huge girl that (at the time) eventually measured out as too big, this was before rules were relaxed to a preferred height. I used the cracking stallion I had at the time on her before we sent her home, apparently he liked the foal the following year, despite not liking the stallion.....
He's not everyone's cuppa, but we agreed to disagree politely lol 😂

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
he was a fascinating man-very old school and told me some erm interesting stories lol! I have never been interested in breeding horses (thank god) but he had some interesting things to say about breeding a herd which I found insightful and hadn't heard before.
Also, bearing in mind it was 10 or so years ago and he was an older gent then, he walked into a large stable containing half a dozen weanlings and pretty much carried mine out under one arm :') He was running mine on until inspection found white patches on two soles, I should get him reinspected now.
I don't know whats happening with that herd, while I might not have agreed with everything he said, seems to me that he was a great loss to Exmoors and provided a balance to some of those in the show ring and some of those involved in showing them.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

Agreed, the saddle can often be the biggest issue. Definitely try and make sure they have plenty of space for a 16" (and even going TO the back rib can cause more issues than sticking to a really short saddle) as a 15" will be a little cramped for you and yes, if you can pick a pony with no history of saddles running forwards, and one with a big front, that will stack things in your favour.