Adults riding with teenagers

dwi

Visit site
This probably doesn't occur as an issue to most people but as a teacher I'm very conscious of it.

If I go out on a hack with a teenager from our yard could I be held responsible if I suggested a canter and then she had an accident?

At school I can't talk to a child in a room on their own, certainly cannot have their mobile number or email address and have to fill out a three page form to visit the local park because my career would be over if they had an accident and I hadn't taken precautions.

We have a teenage girl moving to our yard which should be great as its a small yard and there aren't many people to a hack with and she will be replacing a lame horse.

Does anyone know legally wether the adult in the group is seen as responsible for the safety of anyone under 16 hacking out with them? I know it sounds silly but I'm kind of attached to my career.

Clodagh

Visit site
At least you are cleared to be with teens!
I would speak to her parents, sounds nuts but agree with you, todays litigeous (spell?) world...perhaps a disclaimer? Don't know, you need a legal expert!

LauraBR

Visit site
OMG the world has gone mad
confused.gif

phoebelgrant

Visit site
As horse riding is a high risk sport surely any parent will realise the dangers and not take action against you if anything was to happen or is that living in the past? I agree with clodagh and get some sort of agreement written up making sure your not at risk.

GTs

Visit site
I used to know, ride out, and give rides home to all the teenagers at the barns. I never really worried about it, just if they were under 16 I would want to meet their parents before I drove them home.

sorona

Visit site
My daughter is 15, a bit of a daredevil, loves jumping anything and everything and going at speed and so does her pony. She rides out with loads of adults and Ihave asked them if they feel responisble for ehr and none of them feel they are babysitting her and feel they are on the same level as her. She does have her own insurance though and i wouldn't dream of suing any of her fellow hackers if she were to sustain an injury whilst out with them; unless of course they shoved her under a passing car!!!!

parsley

Visit site
In school and on visits you are in loco parentus (sp?) -unless you have agreed to be responsible out riding I don't think you are responsible.

K9Wendy

Visit site
Ditto... daughter (13) hacks out with adults all the time, is just as capable if not more so, and I only regard it as company not a baby sitting service. No different as if she hacked out alone.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Absolutely not. When you are at school and are in your position of teacher it is totally different than on the yard. At school you have a duty of care in law to the pupils in your charge. The responsibility for their welfare is yours & your colleagues. Once school is over that responsibility ends. The only time when the duty of care continues would be if the hacking out was part of a school activity, arranged by the school. In your case it is not. You have no legal responsibility for anyone you hack out with.
smile.gif

dwi

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I thought so but just wanted to check that no-one had come accross any problems with this because its a bit late once they're suing.

I don't doubt that she may well be a better rider than me, I'm looking forward to having more hacking company as long as its okay legally and I can't be sued

loopeepee

Visit site
This world is turning crazier and crazier by the day!
I can see where you're coming from, but riding is a dangerous sport, and surely the parents should realise this.

Regarding the telephone numbers etc. I have quite a few of my teachers numbers, some even home number. The children are also now encouraged to send homework in via email.

Bex7

Visit site
I ride out every day with my friends daughter who is 14 (friend not riding due to back problems) I never feel responsible for her when riding, other than warning of cars and making sure she wears a hat and hi viz......

I do however feel responsible for her as soon as her feet touch the ground, dropping her home and making sure her chores are done but this is a favour to her mother and is a pleasure not a chore
grin.gif