Adverse weather: is everyone surviving OK?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As title really.

We're right in the eye of the wind here; electric fence is still standing (just) - tho' bent practically to 45 degrees!!! Horses are not liking the wind up their extremities one little bit!

Somehow we survived the horrendous winds overnight: the big barn was literally trembling last night when I went down to do haynets and last feeds at 10pm; was even worse this morning :( - we've had some very high gusts here. Met office says about 50mph gusts but they wanna come out here and take some measurements TBH.

BUT apparently (according to their forecast), the wind is due to drop this afternoon??? LOL.

Thank god the place is still standing (just); although a few running repairs will be needed when the wind drops, to doors/windows etc.

But is everyone else OK?

By the way, we're in East Devon - on the side of a hill (worse place to be ATM).

Natz88

Visit site
The wind is dreadful here, kept me up last night. Our road currently looks like a tip site as its bin day today so you can imagine the mess :eek:

They have said it will get better this afternoon, so fingers crossed it does as will be tying bricks to my feet :p

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
It's still pretty bad here in the most westerly part of the UK - Our neighbour is in hospital after a tree fell on his car at 4am when he was responding to an emergency call out :( He's very lucky to be alive :eek:

I'm on top of a hill, next to mountain. The house has stayed upright for 300 years, so I am fairly confident it will survive, but the barns are bearing the brunt :( I can't believe this is the fourth day of stormy weather on the trot.

Toffee44

Visit site
Trees down left right and centre here.

Bought horse in earlier yesterday went up to muck out at lunch time and she was at the gate screaming at me, half the yard was in anyway so she came in as well.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I'm in Lincolnshire Fens, not a windbreak in sight ;) The night was pretty rough, if truth be told, I did have some concerns over my roofing arrangements, lol. We have some minor damage and a lot of rubbish flying around, but everything is still standing and the horsewalker has not taken off :D I braved turning out this morning and surprisingly they have and still are behaving rather well, all things considered.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We're in the Pennines. Relentless rain and wind all week. The usually boggy fields are now lakes, and even the winter turnout pen, which is hardcore with a few inches of soils and grass on top is underwater.

Last night I went out at midnight to check roofs were still on and the henhouse was still there. I nearly got blown off my feet.

The horses, who are prone to mudrash, especially hubby's ginga, have had to be penned in to an area of hardstanding around the yard with elec fence. Its not massive, but we put out haynets and they mooch around from one to the other for four or five hours. They can get into the yard too to shelter under the overhand. So far its working well, and no mudrash signs so far! I'm determined not to have the vet for it this year!

autumnwinter2011037-1.jpg

autumnwinter2011038-1.jpg

Jesstickle

Visit site
Cambridgeshire fens so no wind breaks for me either. Yard still standing, horses out. My electric fence is looking a bit battered though and BH's feed bucket had done a bunk across the yard this morning (he flings it out over the door if he's bored). It hasn't been too bad here. No trees down that I've come across as yet but would be glad if it would let off a bit as riding in it is no joke!

rhino

Visit site
It seems to have calmed down here quite a lot, still gusty winds and torrential downpours but nothing to the extent we had in the last few days. The sun is even making a half hearted attempt to break through at the moment :)

Visit site
Still very windy here in Leicestershire. We've had stormy weather all night, with gale force winds and torrential rain showers. Lots of trees have blown down nearby and our garden fence is falling down! I don't mind the rain too much but I hate the wind!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Still v windy here, a few trees down locally but all fine at yard when I got there.
Didn't ride, but decided to dig out deep littered stable :confused: instead!

Random wheelie bins making bids for freedom, or just sleeping & sliding round the neighbourhood :D

Sun's out tho & ground starting to dry nicely. SO glad I moved them last week into their spring paddocks instead, means they can go back into the winter trash paddock (which isn't trashed yet) in Feb if it dries up well :)

niagaraduval

Visit site
We live in the middle of the woods so enormous trees everywhere. VERY scary last night didn't sleep at all. Was worried about trees coming down on the house/stables.

Horse doesn't seem to phased by it all, although the weather has been so extreme we haven't been able to ride him for 3 days now. It's horrendous !!