advert help

spooks

Visit site
i will be looking for a pony come jan/feb timeand will be putting a wanted ad out .the daughter it is for is a quiet capable rider who majorly lacks confidence! for eg we went on a walky hack the other day and she didnt want to go in front as according to her her current pony is all spooky in front when in reality all the pony was doing was pricking her ears and having a nosey! tay is just learning to jump and has jumped 2ft 7 in her lesson but only because we kept sneaking it up while she wasnt looking and told her afterwards how high it was! my main priority is that the pony is sensible when it jumps as well as behaving out hacking etc. the current pony is a bit of a git and she can deal with her when she gets a bit nappy etc so pony doesnt need to be perfect perfect, i think tay would be happy as long as it kept its feet on the floor unless she is jumping it. i am not bothered about age/sex/colour etc. she just wants to do PC local shows etc and maybe xc if she gets really brave! her current pony is in fact very good with her and tries it on a little with her but for jumping she is totally unsuitable.fine at home but in the ring she goes a bit lairy and tanks off with tay. tay says she wants a pony that will jump at the speed she wants it to and pretty much jump what she points it at so she can concentrate on riding it at the fence confident that it will jump it.how would you word an ad with those requirements so that you dont get everybody whose selling a pony get in contact with you!

matthew

Visit site
Dont mean to sound nasty but should she really be jumping if she isnt confident? i would stick to the basics and gradually build up to jumping.
Buying her a push button ride isnt really going to help her riding -but i am sure you could get a very quite pony to build up her confidence!

spooks

Visit site
she is confident until they play up! she has only had a few jumping lessons and i must say she has done very well so far. the pony is very good for her at home and doesnt put a hoof out of place,but she knows what meg is capable of in the ring and knows she cant ride her around a course. maybe i worded it wrong...from the little that she has jumped she doesnt do to bad,stays with the pony,leans forward at the right time and doesnt yank it in the mouth, if anything her problem is she stays forward a fraction to long but as i said shes not jumped much so will learn. she just needs a pony that will do as she asks in the ring? tay has ADD (attention deficit disorder ) and lacking self confidence is all part and parcel of it. she can school /hack the pony and does go out with her sister but they keep it low key. in fact she is actually a quieter rider than her sister and has very good hands.to start with she would only be doing 1ft 6 classes. if she remembered a course it would be a minor miracle in itsself! lol
its very difficult to describe how she is, shes the type you'd need to see to know what im on about!

luane1

Visit site
I think the problem you will find is that if it is a good jumper then it will take off when in a competition ring as a lot of these kids kick and point and the pony does everything else and all they have to do is stay on at any speed. My daughter was not one of them and our 1st pony 14hh was a 20 year old school mistress and totally bomb proof and at the age of 28 is still doing exactly the same with another child. She was quite content to jump up to 2.9" and then could throw in the odd stop but at 2.3" and 2.6" was fantastic, great at dressage, working hunter , pony club, riding club and we actually did a childrens hunt on her.She gave my daughter so much confidence and her riding improved. The 2nd one was a point and kick and she was ready to cope with that after 2 years on the school mistress. She is 18 now and jumps 120/130's and loves it and her riding is still continuing to improve and I put it all down to Misty who gave all the right things and no one had to worry about her. Good luck.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Sounds to me like she needs a Blackie type (see below). He might be a bit heavy for what you want but he pops a pole like a pro and he is only 4 (5 next year).

spooks

Visit site
blackie is exactly what i need ...if he was 13.2! she would get away with a finer 14.2 as has been on a friends TB/Arab x and didnt look to small. meg is 13.3 chunky welsh x and she looks fine on her to.
blacks is lovely ,id have him in a heartbeat for myself never mind her! lol.
hows the new boy ? see you changed his name! and have you heard how otto is getting on? our otto is his usual grumpy self!

spooks

Visit site
codownlady, thats the type i want, doesnt have to be a brilliant jumper , will probably only ever be jumping up to 2ft 6. taylor once she has done something there is no stopping her,its just getting her to do it in the first place. id be quite happy with an oldie as have 3 kids younger than taylor so pony wouldnt be going anywhere. i dont want a brilliant jumper that takes off as you say, leave those types to the oldest girl!

matthew

Visit site
Why not see if you can loan an oldie for a while who has been there and done it! then she can move upto something a bit livelier when she is ready!
Is she in the pony club at all- if she is she can take part in mini comps rather than having to jump in a competion environment which is pretty scary even if you are confident!
Jumping with other kids make just improve her confidence.

Tufty

Visit site
dont put a wanted ad in you will get loads of response from people who cant sell their horses my friend put one in and she still gets people e mailing and ringing 8 months down the line. Try and put the word out locally, buy something that someone has recommended. The loan situation is a good idea, most people that are prepared to loan will be totally honest with you because they know it will be comming back to them if it is not what they say. Patience and time is the best way !

Patchwork

Visit site
If your daughter is in the Pony Club then I would definately have a word with your DC - they often know of other ponies in the PC/local area for sale or loan and will have an idea of her riding ability and confidence too so will probably be able to advise on suitability.

smile.gif