Advert query

amzy

Visit site
Just seen an ad for a horse that, apparently, doesn't like schooling or jumping. Just got me thinking really if there were many others out there like this and what your thoughts are... ie. just use it for a hack or carry on, hoping it will improve? Just a general question as I don't know any details about this horse so I realise we can't judge this particular one but what would make you decide if a horse was enjoying it or not?

ladylisa

Visit site
I bought a cob that was 10 and had never done any schooling, he had only been used as a hack so found schooling really boring, but we had a lesson every week and he started to go really well and loved jumping, but would rush to a jump and then decide to run out at the last second.
but with time he would come right.
so you can teach an old horse new tricks!...lol

Alibear

Visit site
there are some that tend to loose the plot when in an arena but beahve fine out on hacks etc, you can compete them you just have to combine schooling with hacking.

dieseldog

Visit site
If you want to school and jump - don't buy the horse, for them to write in in an advert it must be pretty bad. However there are loads of people who have exactly the same feelings about schooling and jumping as the horse so he would be perfect for someone else.

Jemayni

Visit site
My little pony can be a bit like this, if you school/jump him him to often he just refuses to do it. I mean half an hour rearing fit about entering the school, then once you get him in - he just bolts. However as long as you keep the variety he is happy.

amzy

Visit site
No, I'm not looking to buy it, I just saw the ad and wondered if there were a lot of horses who just didn't enjoy being schooled or jumped and wondered why.

claire1976

Visit site
The reason some horses don't like schooling is because they have been over schooled as youngsters and therefore get sour. I can't stand seeing people continually lunging horses in circles. It's very boring for the horses and doesn't achieve a great deal. Schooling should involve some fun games and challenging activities.
I always let my mare have a run round and do some free jumping before doing games like reversing through an L shaped set of poles, using hoola hoops to step in an out of and other parelli games. They build up the trust and bond with the horse and de-spook them a bit.
I imagine if I was a horse I'd much rather be out enjoying the countryside than doing loopdy loop in a school!! Having said that some horses do like schooling and many enjoy jumping providing its mixed up with other activities.