advice - able to sell or free to good home ???

kerrie454

Visit site
I'm just seeking some advice really !!

I have just split up with my boyfriend & am finding it a real struggle to manage money-wise to afford to keep my horse.

I really don't want to sell him as i know i won't be able to afford to buy another one again !!! But i may not have that choice soon !!!!

However, there is a catch !!!!

He is 13 years old, absolutely gorgeous 17hh warmblood gelding. Chestnut. An absolute dream to handle. Has got 88 dressage points etc etc.

However - the catch is - he has navicular !!

He has to be shod with special shoes that cost £90 every 6 weeks & is on bute 4 days a week.
He currently lives out & is ridable - though isn't always 100% sound. So maybe describe as a light hack ??

He is excellent to ride though - hacks out alone / in company - has been to shows (not with me though), loads every time, etc etc

My question is ..... will i be able to sell him ?
if so, what would u advise i should advertise him at ?

if not - how do i go about finding a decent - free to good home ???

please help !!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He sounds like a lovely chap - what a shame to find yourself in this position. How did you manage before you were with your boyfriend??

Personally I wouldn't give any horse away - too many horror stories about how they get passed on.

Have you considered a retirement home for him? You would still have to pay, but it may reduce your costs somewhat.

Bossanova

Visit site
Is he insured for loss of use? If so I'd push to get that.
He may be saleable for a small amount on the back of his dressage sucess so long as you are upfront and truthful. We sold one last year for someone that was LOU but he was a lovely ride and we had loads of people interested in him.

kerrie454

Visit site
i bought him whilst i was with my boyfriend so never had to manage before then !!!

& to loss of use question - he has already been branded LOU - insurance did pay out a certain amount - but due to various things they didn;'t admit full liaibility so most of money went on the vets fees !!!

hollyzippo

Visit site
Hi, I feel for you as one of mine has navicular- same thing, sound enough to hack but not compete anymore. Would hate to make decision you are making
frown.gif

Sounds like loan would be a good idea. Problem with sale is hes expensive to keep with the shoeing etc and I guess cant promise a long term work load. Lots of people want a reliable hack thats easy to do, I have had people offer to have mine on loan to take kids out on ponies etc. Might be worth advertising locally? Especially if he is still up to doing a little bit of low key dressage on a surface?? May find a slightly competitive mum who would like a school master to take out once a month?
Good luck
smile.gif

kerrie454

Visit site
i really like the loan idea !!!

hadn't thought of that - that way i can have him back when i can afford him - excellent !!! coz he is so brilliant & i'd hate to a-part with him & b-never be able to buy another horse.

what is best way then -

- tell my farrier - ok
- advertise in local feed places ?

don't know about local mags as what mags are local ???

also - when u loan - do u loan for free ?
- should i draw up an agreement to sign ? (as i've heard horror stories about them disappearing !!)

do i loan where he is now or let them move him ?

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think i would put him on loan, that way you still have a say over how he is looked after etc and you will be able to take him back when you are in a better financial position.

You could advertise him on project horses, or if you want him to stay local then tack shops, local mag etc.

People are more likely to take on a horse with problems if they know they can give it back.

Only problem then is if you are still struggling and they give him up you will have to take him back til you can find him a new home again.

Kelly1982

Visit site
If its a full loan then they will pay for everything.

Its up to you whether you want him to stay where he is or move but you may get a better response if you let him move.

Also i would DEFINATLY draw up a loan agreement.

kirstyfk

Visit site
Yes get a contact signed - there is a good one on the BHS webiste in the welfare section which is pretty much the standard for loans. I would let him move but make sure you are happy with the stables and the people and get references!!! Yes a loan is free but a lease is when money is changed over.

filly190

Visit site
Is it possible to could keep him and perhaps get some one to share the expenses that likes dressage.

If he is a good boy, could you not give a few riding lessons on him, to help earn his keep.

I know how expensive it is and appreciate your position and am so sorry to hear your what you are going through.

Some equestrian colleges may interested in him, for a little light work to teach students how to look after a good horse with this problem.

I think selling him may be difficult because of the loss of use and the expensive in keeping him right.

I hope you find a solution, I know this sounds daft, but could you consider getting a second job in bar at night, that way you are getting out and meeting people, whilst getting paid. It may help get you over your boyfriend and help keep your horse until you get sorted.