Advice about loaning and competing

charlotte0916

Visit site
Hello all, this is my first time posting so I hope I do it all correctly!
I am looking for advice as an experienced rider looking to do more competing somehow! I have ridden for 10yrs and am now looking to get into competing again after a long break from it since I was very young. My question is; do you think it would be possible to find a loan horse with which to compete in unaffiliated/affiliated in a little bit of everything? I will be going to university in 2yrs time and am currently doing a levels so I was wondering what people think would be possible to find/possible time wise? Thank you for any help at all! :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If you are a good rider there are plenty of chances I think. I've got several horses and would welcome finding someone decent to ride one. If they were improving the horse (or at least maintaining it!) I wouldn't mind transporting to shows and lessons and I wouldn't charge (they would have to pay their own fees tho).

helenchat

Visit site
I suppose that depends - are you looking just to compete someone's horse,or are you looking to take on a horse on full loan and then compete it yourself ?
I think both are out there, although the first is probably a bit harder to find, as often if people want someone to compete their horses for them they are often after a more professional rider than themselves. But I have seen lots of adverts around offering part loans/ 2 day a week shares with the possibility to compete - so they do exist!
As for the second, my sister and I have 3 horses between us and they are all on loan, and they all compete regularly. They are all older, (one of them is a down graded 3* eventer for example), but they have taken us to a variety of competitions including pony and riding club championships.
They were hard to get hold of but have been worth their weight in gold. I'd recommend contacting local riding and pony clubs, and basically tell everyone you know what you're looking for! Word of mouth often unearths the best finds �� I also placed wanted adverts (I used lots of Facebook pages to search), and most websites like horsequest or preloved have a section for loan horses. Good luck with your search !

be positive

Visit site
Like everyone else said there are opportunities out there, the main issue you will come up against may be your age, guessing you are 16/17 so limited with transport, relying on parents to get you places, help financially etc.
Look in your local area, ask all possible contacts, I have a livery here that is now being ridden by a young girl who has no interest in competing or jumping so if someone else came along who would do some the owner would be very happy as she is not riding due to pregnancy, they are there but you have to be proactive to find them and be able to offer something the owner wants in exchange, whether that is time, cash, commitment will be down to the individual situation .

charlotte0916

Visit site
I am experinced having ridden for so long, it's just tricky it seems finding horses of a standard I can improve as most people seem to be looking for ones they are finished with in one sense or another! I am looking for one that is either a schoolmaster to bring me up the levels or a project to bring on as schooling/improving is something I really enjoy. Thank you for your perspective, it's interesting to hear people are looking for a similar situation to myself, so it is possible!

charlotte0916

Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions of places to contact! I have tried placing adverts on facebook/horemart/preloved however if they are young enough to compete still people either want a crazy ammount for a part loan (I could afford my own for the cost) or they are looking to full loan out. That is the second part of my question really, if i were to full loan does anyone have experince of doing this/owning around a-level commitments? Thank you everyone for your help!

helenchat

Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions of places to contact! I have tried placing adverts on facebook/horemart/preloved however if they are young enough to compete still people either want a crazy ammount for a part loan (I could afford my own for the cost) or they are looking to full loan out. That is the second part of my question really, if i were to full loan does anyone have experince of doing this/owning around a-level commitments? Thank you everyone for your help!

I think often it's just timing- just keep your eyes peeled and I'm sure you'll find something , I went to first see my current horse on New Year's Day with a cracking hangover !
As for doing a levels and riding - for me it was all about timing. If you're organised and realistic about your commitments, I definitely think it's possible. I just tended to give mine a week off when exam time came around- but riding is definitely the best antidote to revision stress! I'm sure you can balance both if you're able to organise your time. I ended up giving up my horse when I went to uni, but rode for my university team and other people during the holidays, and now I've graduated I have my own horse again whilst working full time. It is possible ! I'm sure you can do it !

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Where are you based? I have one that will need to go on loan for a couple if years soon (end of winter prob, given that I assume no one will take a new horse in winter). Doing BD Prelim, done some UA Nov, also placed in BE80s & UA 90s, SJs, hunts, hacks, good to do in every way. I want him to go to someone who'll carry on competing.

Orangehorse

Visit site
You need contacts like the local Pony Club and Riding Club. Then once the instructors see you ride, they often hear of available horses and could put in a good word for you.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Thank you for the advice about A-levels/uni, it's lovely to hear it's possible to keep going with it! Definetly the best therapy! I am based on the edge of south Bristol, your horse sounds like a lovely prospect for the right person! Thank you for that advice, I'll see if I can get in contact with them. I have a very good fei instructor who knows I am looking and have let people know around the yards I currently ride but more people looking out is always a good idea.

Last edited: