Advice after a fall please.

Jadejods

Visit site
Has anyone evr had broken ribs?

If so, please can you tell me how long it took you to recover and how long before you got back in the saddle?

I broke 3 two weeks ago and i am bloody fed up, there is not much improvement yet!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I was back in the saddle within about 3 weeks. It still bloody hurt though but there was nobody else to ride my nag so I had to grit my teeth and bear it
crazy.gif

pottamus

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your ribs....d**m painful it is. I have not broken ribs having fallen off my horse, but did come down some wooden stairs once and cracked a 'few'! I am sorry to say that it takes weeks and weeks before you are back to normal. Can't remember for me but I was in pain for a good month.
If that happened to me now having fell off a horse I would have to get back on quickly (confidence thing) so would dose myself up to the hilt and get on as soon as possible really...but that is just me. I came off 5 weeks ago and hit my lower back hard (was wearing a back protector) and have caused nerve damage...so have sciatia problems ongoing still. I could barely straighten and walking was painful but got back on and rode the next day because I knew I had to and he needed the work!
Everyone is different and these things take time but there is not a lot you can do with ribs...it is a grin and bear it thing.
Hope you are feeling better soon though.

jacks_mum

Visit site
yes I broke mine falling off when I was 15. It took weeks and weeks to heal and is probably the most painful injury I have had .

I couldn't sleep because I couldn't lie down, if i did lie down I was in agony, if i slept sitting up I ended slumped awkwardly and hurting. breathing hurt, not breathing didn't work! moving hurt etc

Sorry i can't remember how long it took till i was riding again but it was a while and you have my full sympathies.

k9h

Visit site
First time I broke 5 ribs I was double barrelled by my new horse was 2-3 weeks before I rode again that was on a quite reliable horse!
Last few times I have not been so bad & managed to carry on. I cracked my Sternum (3yrs ago) Saturday hunting & was back out on the following Tuesday (but that was very foulish of me) Then also cracked ribs & ruptured shoulder joint (last legal days hunting) carried on for another 3hrs that day & tried to ride a month later & was in complete agony couldnt trot at all.
Your body will tell you when it is able to ride again. If there is pain its for a reason its to stop you from doing anymore damage. (I should know I am a Sports Injury Therapist- maybe I should listen to myself more?!)
Dont rush or you may end up doing more damage.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I'm still in pain 12 years later. I have to be careful what saddle I ride in and what horse. too hard saddle and too bouncy horse and I'm laid up for days.

Jadejods

Visit site
Ooh, i have a lot longer to wait then, i am sick of sitting about all the time.

Horse not being ridden and stables need cleaning ( which i keep doing each day, no wonder i am not healing) Cleaning 2 stables with one arm is a trick in itself and takes ages!

Never mind, i will have to sit on the forum each day and read horsy things!!!

equibabe20

Visit site
Not a broken ribs, but I broke my ankle and collar bone 13 &1/2 weeks ago and thats still not healed i go in hospital next Thursday to have it pinned and bone grafted
frown.gif
im riding again now as the break is so bad i cant do anymore damage so what the hell it will be about 6 months till im back too work & riding, so I hope you'll be quicker than me

k9h

Visit site
Probabley not! If you look at my medical nots its like a full arch leaver file full of horse related accidents. Thoughs have been freak accidents. (the sternum being a horse stopping at a fence & dropping me on top of fence post) The shoulder & ribs were after jumping a 5'10" dry stone wall trying to stay with hounds. Yes alot of times if not all I have gone back way too soon. But me love of me horses I just cant stay away with them, when you've had a bad day to get on & go for a canter & come back with a grin on your face they put things into sperspective & occasionally bring you back to earth with a bump (litterally!)