Advice and opinions needed

Nativelover

Visit site
A bit of background;

Had my horse for 7 years he's a native gelding so a hardy type, he likes to be out but through varying livery yards his turnout has been restricted in the winter.
Found a nice yard for him to winter out as I've just had a baby, plan was to winter him out and find somewhere closer to home come spring.

He's been out for 7 weeks now, and been ok. Has lost his summer flab and has a good woolly coat.
I saw him on Sunday and he just wasn't right, miserable and wouldn't move. It took 3 big men and me to literally carry him from field to stable. Checked him all over and no obvious injuries, vet in attendance, bloods showed raised inflammatory markers. Vet diagnoses a viral infection. Luckily under the care of the wonderful YO (full livery) he's much brighter.
My need for opinions/advice is, can I reasonably expect him to go back to wintering out??? Vet says yes, it's the best thing for his type. But I'm wondering if the enforced stabling has somehow made him less hardy??
Would I be better rugging him up to go back out full time?? He will start off going out during the day at first until he's back to full strength.
Feel very guilty that I've abandoned him to take care of the baby.

Dubsie

Visit site
I would say it's like starting a new school or returning after the long summer break - all the kids are liable to pick up any bug going because they've not yet built up an immunity, and chances are his immune level wasn't at peak due to having just moved yards.

If the vet says out , I'm sure he'll be fine once recovered.

Taliesan

Visit site
In short, yes. Horses are designed to live outside and are very adaptable animals.

If he has a thick, fluffy coat (which he will still have) rugging is probably the worst thing you could do. He will either overheat or freeze as the rug will prevent his coat from working as it should.

be positive

Visit site
He should be fine to go back out, I have several still out 24/7 including 2 retired pba's who when they were in work were rugged up, clipped and thoroughly pampered, they are both out at the moment naked as it is cold but dry, they will be rugged when it gets wet.
If yours had a virus he will soon be over it just like us with a cold, I would possibly lightly rug to keep him dry, make sure he has plenty of hay and obviously twice daily checks, don't feel guilty about turning him out it is usually the best place for native types, you were just unlucky that he picked up a virus.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Yes!

I had one that had a very nasty virus and we nearly called time on her. However, once she started to pick up I began turning her out for a couple of hours and building it up until she was out during the day and in at night. She did need careful rugging and feeding and I found Equimmins Advance really helped get her spark back.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I agree he will be fine to go back out .
I would try to pick a day where the forecast is for settled weather for a few days to turn him back out .