Advice- canter trans

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Do people use the old inside leg on girth / outside leg behind girth or just inside leg/ seatbone ? I much prefer the quality of the canter trans when I just use the inside seatbone/ heel , it feels a lot straighter, free-er and more connected and powerfull. But I must be assymetric because I seem to be completely unable to do this on the left rein!

I can do a good right lead canter transition. I can just sort of flick my inside heel down a little / press on the inside seat bone and can get a lovely balanced spring up into right canter. It just happens naturally, I don't have to think about it.

But left canter trans I am totally useless.I can get the transition absolutely fine by changing methods and just flicking the outside leg back behind the girth , but it never feels as natural/engaged/balanced as the way that I can do it on the right rein.(where i am just using the inside leg) I am just not able to get the same feel/ connection with my left inside seat bone to ask for the canter like I can with the right canter. In dressage tests my left trans will get 8's, but I know it just doesn't have that ultra feel of smoothness and connection.

Any tips for sorting out my wonkiness..

BUT I guess what it all boils down to is which is the better aid to use when asking for canter in the most classical way? I know it's supposed to be the old BHS/ Pony Club thing of inside leg on the girth/ outside leg behind the girth but actually I think just lightly weighting down on the inside seatbone/ heel produces a more connected, engaged transition what do people think ?

Sol

Visit site
I've come to think that whatever works for the individual, works best. I discovered the other day that if I 'suck up' my inside seatbone, combined with sliding my outside leg back a smidge & almost 'lifting' with my inside lower leg/foot (sort of scooping almost, but it isn't that 'big' a movement), we get a lovely transition. I think it was what I was 'looking' for for ages but never quite got the balance/timing right until now :) I think because I'm using my seat rather than my leg, it's more of a 'pop' into canter than an 'omg RUN!' :eek: :rolleyes:

No idea on the wonkiness though, I find transitions on the right rein harder as my right hip is currently rather tight. Back to doctors on wednesday to see what he says, then hopefully will get it sorted, I'm guessing chiro/physio will be the way. I also desperately want to start pilates but need to sort money out first!

star

Visit site
I find by sliding my outside leg back it helps me to give the correct seat aid and also gives him a hint as to what is coming up. Weirdly I find it a lot easier on the left rein than the right though - really struggle to reverse things for the right rein and give correct seat aid but bringing outside leg back definitely helps. Not giving actual aid with outside leg but it's just a positioning that helps me.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Interesting that we all find one way so much easier than the other!
Star - with older horses I find that method works well but when teaching it to young horses I find they get extremely offended by it ( well in my case anyway!) and are offended for a while until they get used to it. Whereas when just using the inside seatbone, they accept it so readily and happily, and breakers will grasp this aid immediately . May just be me and my weirdness!!

KatB

Visit site
See I ask for canter just off the outside leg...which in turn weights the inside seatbone slightly. I have found this the easiest way to then be able to start to teach changes/lateral work in the canter later on...

TarrSteps

Visit site
The canter trans is about timing and body position - whatever method you use to guide the horse into 'canter shape' combined with a driving aid will likely do the trick.

However, I teach young horses about the outside leg aid, no matter what their preference is because that is the way the majority of less experienced riders will ask and they way most likely to cause a negative reaction if overdone. I am a big believer in sending horses out into the world with realistic expectations! ;)

foxy1

Visit site
I use my inside leg to ask. I have a few books that talk about aids (many more riding books that don't!) but I have 3 or 4 written by english or german people that talk about using the inside leg to ask for canter (all showjumping books), 1 written by an american lady (dressage book)that mentions the use of the outside leg aid..... :confused: :D