Advice - finally found someone to ride out with … but?

canteron

Visit site
I have been hacking out my cob alone for 4 years (haven’t done much else) …. but a new lady has moved nearby and would occasionally like to ride out, which is amazing!

But my horse can be not very good with ‘new’ things and I am not the most confident rider (maybe connected?) so how do we intrduce the horses.

We could ride in the ménage first and see how they react - or just get on with it.

What would your advice be?

Sanversera

Visit site
Arrange to meet up and do a tried and tested route your horse is familiar with, before you meet your new hacking partner take your horse out on its own for a solo hack. That way he'll not be fresh and less likely to react adversly. I always used to hack my youngsters and excitables to pony club local shows and meets,took the edge off. Enjoy your hack.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you are worried, why not share an arena horse first, if that would make you more comfortable? I don't think there is a right or wrong, just whatever makes you feel most confident.

humblepie

Visit site
Just check as well your hacking aims are compatible. I generally hack on my own as don’t trot on the roads other than to get round a blind bend or move on to a clear part for a car to pass whereas we have some at yard who will trot fast on the roads. Am sure the horses will be fine and be nice for you all.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
If your still worried I would invite her to meet at your yard so you and your horse are familiar with the whole thing. As already said go on a familiar route. Definitely check your hacking compatability , you don't want to find yourself having to gallop about if you don't want to. Other than that get on and go!! Enjoy!

cauda equina

Visit site
Just check as well your hacking aims are compatible. I generally hack on my own as don’t trot on the roads other than to get round a blind bend or move on to a clear part for a car to pass whereas we have some at yard who will trot fast on the roads. Am sure the horses will be fine and be nice for you all.
I agree with this - some people seem to take the view that hacking = going as fast as possible
I'd have a chat before organising your first ride to make sure that you're both expecting the same sort of ride, and one that you're comfortable with