Advice for dogs afraid of fireworks.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Before New Year’s eve, I thought I should share the things that I can remember, knows, which could help owners with dogs that is afraid of fireworks.

*Perhaps this is only something relevant to Spitz-breed owners, but I check so that my dogs coat/fur is smooth, and not static. If it isn't smooth, they get a bath with lots of conditioner, so that they don’t feel like a potential lightning rod when they start to hear the noise from the fireworks (after all, some firework can sound similar to thunder).

*Take a really long walk earlier in the day, and make sure to do something that also gives the brain some exercise, and not just their bodies. Personally, late afternoon/early in the evening (before the fireworks usually starts), I give my dogs plenty of extra yummy gnaw bones, which also helps making my dogs tired, and less likely to become too stressed over the fireworks.

*Play music or watch TV or a film, the dog will probably still hear the fireworks, but it can distract their focus a bit.

*Pull down the blinds.

*Never pity the dog when it is scared, ignore it, or if necessary, talk to it in a calmly positive tone.

*I've heard of people putting cotton wool in their dog's ears to muffle the sound, but I'm neither sure about how effective it is, nor how easy/difficult it is to get a dog to accept having cotton wool in their ears for a whole evening + night.

*Adaptil/D.A.P. diffuser, spray or collar releases calming pheromones which helps some dogs. I haven’t used a collar, but I know that the diffuser and the spray works a bit differently. The diffuser needs to be plugged in for 24 hours before it has full effect, whereas the spray is mainly used as a complement, spray on e.g. the dog bed or in their crate, about 15 minutes before letting the dog use the bed/crate, the effect of the spray lasts about 2 to 5 hours.

*If you need to give your dog a calming pill, e.g. Zylkène, give the pill/pills + some food, to the dog in the morning or some hours before you expect the fireworks to begin (follow the dosage recommended per day for your dog). If your dog is more than just a little bit scared of fireworks, you can begin giving your dog its daily recommended dose of pills, one or a few days before New Year’s eve.

*I’ve heard that some airport hotels have realised that they can offer something that is sought after by some dog owners during New Year’s eve. But hotels that is close to e.g. railroads might also have soundproof rooms, so perhaps try to find a hotel that allow dogs and have rooms that are soundproof, especially good if it is at an airport which, as I understand it, is surrounded by a safety zone (= e.g. no fireworks allowed nearby).

*There is supposedly acupressure points that should/could have a calming effect when triggered, massage could also be relaxing.

*If you have problems this year, next year, buy a DVD or similar with the sound of Fireworks on, and try and train your dog to be less stressed by such noise.

*Lastly, if your dog do become stressed, remember to keep calm, take deep breaths and do not get stressed yourself, because if you also get stressed, that will make your dog even more stressed.

Have I forgotten anything?

Bellasophia

Visit site
In Italy ,today we have received an e mail from our town hall to say fireworks are banned...500 euro fine if you use them...hooray and about time to.
this is the first year I have two firework neutral dogs,but I lived for thirteen years with one dog who was a wreck every time the fireworks went off outside our house.
i used to give Bach rescue remedy every 4 hrs during New Years eve day,and melatonin at night...it helped but also had to stay with her next to a loud tv ...
My latest two sleep through the bangs...it will be a good thing to hopefully be without these fireworks as many dogs go awol on new yrs eve as they are garden dogswho jump and run to escape their fears.

twiggy2

Visit site
In Italy ,today we have received an e mail from our town hall to say fireworks are banned...500 euro fine if you use them...hooray and about time to.
this is the first year I have two firework neutral dogs,but I lived for thirteen years with one dog who was a wreck every time the fireworks went off outside our house.
i used to give Bach rescue remedy every 4 hrs during New Years eve day,and melatonin at night...it helped but also had to stay with her next to a loud tv ...
My latest two sleep through the bangs...it will be a good thing to hopefully be without these fireworks as many dogs go awol on new yrs eve as they are garden dogswho jump and run to escape their fears.

your about to get a lot of new neighbours

Bellasophia

Visit site
Lol twiggy..(.runs off to get an extra set of Spumante glasses out...)
...but,really,isn't it about time?
our local town hall have mentioned the adverse effects on animals and damage to children caused by fireworks and have banned them...also in most major cities here too this year.

twiggy2

Visit site
Lol twiggy..(.runs off to get an extra set of Spumante glasses out...)
...but,really,isn't it about time?
our local town hall have mentioned the adverse effects on animals and damage to children caused by fireworks and have banned them...also in most major cities here too this year.

Yes it is about time, my last lurcher was terrified of fireworks during her last three years (before that she was fine) and it got worse every year, it also tipped over for the last 18months to storms scaring her too, all I kept thinking during firework season this year was at least she was not having to go through that again.
I just think that display fireworks need to be toned down sound wise and limited to November 5th, private ones should not be allowed.
My aunt lives near Bournemouth and we went to the pier on a weekend evening when they let off about 30mins of huge very loud display fireworks-apparently they do that one night every week for the whole o the tourist season, you must have heard them for miles, poor wildlife too not just humans and pets.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
But a problem with firework bans, are if people still can buy fireworks. If someone have a firework nearby, and you call the police, will they come? If the police come, the fireworks is usually over, the people have gone home again, and the police won't know who did it.

Personally, I'm not sure that I'm really against all fireworks, but I wish that people at least only had them between e.g. 23 and 01 in the evening/night, and none of the fireworks a day or more before/after New Year's eve...

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
as someone with a very noise reactive lurcher I would welcome a ban on sales to the general public and only licensed displays allowed on or very close to 5th nov....I wouldn't want a complete ban as the displays give a lot of pleasure but am pretty fed up with fireworks being used for every occasion, weddings, birthdays etc...

Teaselmeg

Visit site
Some good advice, I would add is that it is perfectly ok to comfort your dog if they are scared of anything. Fear is an emotion, not a behaviour, so you cannot reinforce the fear by comforting a dog ( if the dog finds your close presence a comfort).

TTouch is good, along with a thunder shirt, that can really help some dogs.

twiggy2

Visit site
Some good advice, I would add is that it is perfectly ok to comfort your dog if they are scared of anything. Fear is an emotion, not a behaviour, so you cannot reinforce the fear by comforting a dog ( if the dog finds your close presence a comfort).

TTouch is good, along with a thunder shirt, that can really help some dogs.

Great advice well put

Caramac71

Visit site
I bought my dog a thunder shirt from recommendations on this forum and it's made a big difference. Although he is still scared he will now sit quietly (shaking and panting) and be comforted by us - whereas previously he'd be scratching madly at cupboards and trying to hide in ridiculous places.

Personally I'd like to see them banned from sale to the public and have organised displays only. Round here they start around Halloween and we then have a good 2 weeks or more of them on a nightly basis (often starting before it's even dark!). Then if we are lucky we have a bit of respite until Christmas and New Year when they start again. And I'm convinced the noise levels get louder every year.

Bellasophia

Visit site
update ...last night all was silent up until the hour of midnight when some locals let off a few fireworks to welcome in the new year...fifteen minutes at best...what a difference and definitely for the better! In the past these fireworks have gone on for days around this time and they were definitely the bomb type ones...so much quieter this year and definitely got the thumbs up from the dogs.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I also had a good night, gave my dog a zylkene, made sure she had wee'd at 11.30 ish and turned the tv up really loud. she snuggled up on the sofa next to me and was fast asleep at 12 midnight...I heard a couple of fireworks but luckily she didn't. I didn't go to bed till 1 am just in case and then couldn't sleep but it was worth it to keep my dog from being upset.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
We had over 8 hours on 31-12-15 went on until 2.52 am, we have had them most nights and sometimes in broad daylight too since beginning of October 2015 with about 5 days without any.
They are still going off tonight 02-01-16 and we will get them every weekend during the Summer, my dogs are scared stiff and I have lost poultry due to the noise.
I ask again if your dogs or other pets show signs of fear please consider signing this as well as sharing it far and wide, thanks

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/109702