Advice for feeding a lazy event horse

H-J

www.piczo.com
Just wanted to get a few views on what to feed the lazy event horse!! Dougal is coming on nicely after a few weeks off over xmas due to an abcess in his leg
frown.gif
We are feeding him on what he was on end of last season so alfa a oil, & equilibrum high energy, a heaped scoop in each feed and general vits supplement.

I had a lesson today and did ALOT of canter pole work and pole work up to jumps and I was very much running out of petrol! He is a very laid back horse anyway, we are going to try some stay power muesli next but any other suggestions? Im pretty sure nothing would make him go mad!! He is worked 6 days a week usually an hour a day. Thanks!!
smile.gif

H-J

www.piczo.com
Will that be that instant releasing? and also believe it or not he is a TB but is quite a good doer so would this suit

catembi

Visit site
Allen & Page Power & Performance?

The thing that's worked best for me iro jumping is o/h chasing with a lunge whip... We go v quickly from riding school plod to wahey let's go... Pity it's not allowed bsja...

CracklinRosie

Visit site
Oats will do it very time. Although he sounds like he's getting quite a lot of feed already. How much in kilos would you say his feed is and how much does he weigh? Could be he's not using his feed properly and could do with something like Pink Powder!

H-J

www.piczo.com
He only has a level scoop of alfa a oil in each feed and the equilibrum of which I spoke to a feed rep at their stand at badders and was told and have read in theiir literature that he can have about 3 scoops of that in each feed!! He is also about 17.1hh and 'the' most laid back horsey!!

H-J

www.piczo.com
I ideally wanted to keep it as fibre based as possible so i'll look into all the things suggested. He is also an ex racehorse got knows what they fed him to get him going, maybe a rocket up his backside!!!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Is it a food issue? Sarnie is lazy but does keep going lazily so stamina should not be affected. So either he may need to be fitter, he is harbouring a low grade virus or he could be a bit anemic. I would consider a blood test or try something like Propell or Red Cell wehich will act as a pick me up.

KatB

Visit site
Its probably more young horse weakness tbh HJ, Goddy can get the same when he is fully fit, just cos he finds it hard work more than lack of stamina! G is on Alfa A oil, Speedibeet and Calm and condition at the moment and is the best he has ever been, just sharp enough without being too stupid, and enough stamina for all his work. Try Calm and condition or Power and Performance, as they have a lower starch rate than alot of other feeds, but seem to do the job well
grin.gif

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Have tried many different feed with my daughters eventer, only thing that gives him any oomph is alfa a, oats, equifeast gold supplement and good quality haylege. It was the cheapest as well!

Thistle

Visit site
W is very laid back. When she is eventing she gets Spliiers slow response cubes and chaff, 3 days before an event I swap some of the slow response for Spillers instant energy and also give propell/red cell, she swaps straight back to the slow response the night after the event but I continue the red cell for 2 days after.

archoak

Visit site
Do you use the instant response cubes, I was keen to try these but they are discontinuing them. The mix will still be available though.

sar1

Visit site
Spillers Instant Response works for my lazy boy. Also found Spiller HDF Power Cubes (for racehorses but not quite as scary as Racehorse mix!) very good.