Advice for pining dog

hunting mad

Visit site
Yesterday my little jrt was pts.
She a kennel dog along with my springer.
Today,my springer is really pining.My springer comes out with me whilst doing animals etc,so gets plenty of exercise.She is now sat in her kennel crying.
Any advice please....i feel so helpless

mollichop

Visit site
Oh i'm so sorry :( Well rightly or wrongly, when I had my 1st boy pts both me and my other dog were so lost without him, I got another dog 2 days later.

I just couldn't bear to see him so alone when I went off to work. It took a while for him to accept the new one (obviously he wasn't who he wanted) but after a few days he would let him share his bed and within weeks I knew i'd done the right thing when they were curled up together and playing.

It's a very personal decision to 'replace' a lost friend but for me it worked. Normally I would suggest spending lots of time playing and disctracting your remaining dog, spending time with you inside. But as a kennel dog, this may disrupt her even more. How do you think she would cope with another dog?

ThePinkPony

Visit site
I would get another dog for him. a JRT puppy probably.

He'll be feeling very lonely right now, an annoying little bundle would take his mind off things.

Spudlet

Visit site
Could you bring her into the house temporarily, so she has a bit of company? She's probably feeling a bit lonely, bless her:(

I hope you all start to feel better soon.

hunting mad

Visit site
I dont want to get another dog....im in for my operation next week and it will be 4 months recovery,and dont think it would be a wise move.
She is an ex working dog,and she would trash the house if i bought her in.She doesnt stay still,always on the go...typical spaniel.

flying solo

Visit site
*Sorry for your loss*

I would get another dog, although i recently rehomed one of my dogs due to it being far too clumsy and kept knocking my little girl over and my remaining dog a Husky has been fine!

Good luck on which ever option you go for x

hunting mad

Visit site
*Sorry for your loss*

I would get another dog, although i recently rehomed one of my dogs due to it being far too clumsy and kept knocking my little girl over and my remaining dog a Husky has been fine!

Good luck on which ever option you go for x

The timing really couldnt be much worse with having to have my operation on my leg next week.I really dont think it would be fair to take on another dog

Spudlet

Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily give a kennel-kept dog free run around the house (not if I wanted to still have a house!) but having her in the kitchen with you when you are there, for example, with a bone to occupy her and a blanket for her to sit on should be ok I would have thought and would be a distraction for her. But you know your dog best:)

ThePinkPony

Visit site
Then bring her in the house! we have 9 working dogs and they all come in the house at some point, wether it be for a succesful dig or a cracked pad.
Yes its bloody annoying to have spaniel pacing and bringing you everything in sight but you have to put up with this sometimes.

Go get her, give her a bath so she doesnt stink, put up all objects that are breakable and then show her some compassion for a couple of days. At least you know whats happened to your JR, she doesnt, so a cpouple of days distraction would do her good.

Sorry that sounds really angry, thats not how it was in my head.

Last edited:

hunting mad

Visit site
Then bring her in the house! we have 9 working dogs and they all come in the house at some point, wether it be for a succesful dig or a cracked pad.
Yes its bloody annoying to have spaniel pacing and bringing you everything in sight but you have to put up with this sometimes.

Go get her, give her a bath so she doesnt stink, put up all objects that are breakable and then show her some compassion for a couple of days. At least you know whats happened to your JR, she doesnt, so a cpouple of days distraction would do her good.

Sorry that sounds really angry, thats not how it was in my head.

I hear what you are saying,but like spudlet says,i know my dog best.....i seriously would not have a house left....i have brought her to just outside my back door,so she has plenty of company.Will be out and about plenty of times during the day.

ETS.....i also have an older house dog,and she would not tolerate her being in!
ETS again......just peaked out at her.....she has layed down and looking a bit more settle.....early days yet

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think you either have to get her a companion pretty quick - or as others have suggested bring her in to the house.......

ThePinkPony

Visit site
Have you got any freinds who would lend you a dog for a couple of days? just for a few hours play in the garden?

Spudlet

Visit site
If she's getting very stressed, you could try a DAP collar: http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/Product-1988

Ideally she could probably do with a friend, but I understand that your op will make this difficult. Who is going to look after them when you are recovering? Do they have another friendly dog she could go out for walks etc with?

hunting mad

Visit site
My 14 year old son and partner will be looking after them whilst im laid up so thats one of the reasons for not wanting to get another dog just yet.
I also have a westie,so she is not on her own,and my in laws ,next door also have a westie and a collie,so she gets plenty of doggy company...its just when she is in her kennel.
I have brought her down right outside my back door,and is now chomping on a bone.Will have to make something more permenant down here asap
If she wasnt so much of a killing machine.....father in laws poultry,the i would risk letting her out without supervision

Last edited:

Spudlet

Visit site
Could anyone lend you a crate to sit outside the back door?

Really bad timing all round for you :(

hunting mad

Visit site
She is right outside my back door....can look through my patio doors if she so wishes to,but the bone is more important for now.....butchers later on!