Advice for those of you who are a bit older and are competing ..

TheoryX1

Visit site
I havent posted on here for a while, and when I do its normally about my daughter's eventing exploits. She is still doing BE, but this ones about mummy for a change. Now I hope you dont mind reading on a bit while I explain.

I'm what you would call a mature rider, being in my early 50s. I;ve owned my first horse, the lovely The Oryx 1, for 10 years. We've done loads together, hunted, dressage, showing, a bit of xc and he;s been to PC camp and rallies with Mini TX, my daughter. My old boy is now 21 and has been a bit of a big pet for the last couple of years as business commitments took over. I took a massive deep breath in the spring, resigned from my business and am now being bought out, took 4 months out of work and have now gone back to work, albeit at a slightly lower level, because I was getting a bit bored, but with nice regular hours which works with the horses and family life, which is what I wanted, after nearly 20 years building up a business.

I spent my time off getting my old boy fitter to enjoy some nice long hacks, pub rides and a bit of fun. I have really enjoyed it, as has he, but my competitive nature means I am wanting to go back to competing again, now I have the time. I had tentatively planned to semi retire him next spring and buy another horse. Howe he has also been diagnosed with arthritis as well, so I understand our ridden time together may be shorter than I wished it to be. We are working with our vet now to manage it properly and thank god for insurance is all I can say! However, at least we have the space at the yard for him to live out, or just come in and snooze and be a happily retired and thoroughly spoiled old man when the time comes to make that decision, which I hope wont just be yet as he is still enjoying being hacked out by mum and Mini TX who adores him as much as I do.

So .......... here is the plan. Since being out of my business I have lost nearly 3 stones and am fitter and healthier than I have been for ages, and I want to go back to being a dressage diva again, plus have a bit of a 'secret ambition' to take Mini TX's eventer around an unaff or BE80 at some point, but that is quite a while off I reckon. I'm going to be horse hunting at some point, for a nice kind horse that will suit me and will go out and do a nice little dressage test. I do have a very decent budget, good advice and support, a lovely yard to keep it on, plus intend to have some school master lessons over the winter, plus will be able to ride other horses as well. On top of that, I shall of course be investing in some decent training when I get the new horse, including some clinics etc.

What I am looking for is advice on how to take this forward once I get new pony, from those of you who are a little bit more mature. I've lost a lot of weight, am a lot fitter and healthier (have been told I look at least 10 years younger as well now) most certainly will not be buying some massive striding warmblood, but do suffer from a bad back which requires a chiropractor from time to time. Am more than happy to consider other forms of exercise to help the riding muscles, and although I am still working full time, I work close to home and have plenty of time to ride now, plus I am not stressed out constantly and eating and drinking far too much because of it. Apparently I am told I am now a much nicer person now I dont own the business any longer!!!!!! So, ladies, and gents, of more mature years, how to do you keep going with it, what do you do to keep yourselves fit, and is there any advice you can give me. The long term aim is to do BD at Prelim, and if we do ok, have a crack at Novice much much later on.

Apart from it being really exciting buying a new pony, new tack etc and some new gear for me, and having fun getting to know a new horse, I do feel a little bit guilty that my old boy wont be my only horse though, even though he will also be very special to me as my first horse, or am a being silly? Anyway, any advice for a mature potential dressage diva would be gratefully appreciated.

Rosiefan

Visit site
A lot older but definitely not competing so no advice on that front. Just wanted to say don't feel guilty about getting another horse. Look at from his point of view - he gets lots of love and attention from all of you but no hassle (a bit like being a Granny, like wot I am :) )
Hope you find the perfect horse, I'm sure you will.

be positive

Visit site
Firstly it sounds as if you have made a good choice to take things easier and be able to enjoy yourself, a great opportunity to buy a horse and do what you really want to.

My main advice would be much the same whatever your age, that is to try and avoid over horsing yourself, it is easily done especially when you plan to do dressage and having a decent budget can actually be a disadvantage from that point of view as you will see and try horses that move bigger than you will be comfortable with and struggle to get the best out of it.

Buy something that is correctly educated to whatever level it is at, that moves well but not too well, is not too big for you especially not too wide so you end up being stretched while on it,has a really good temperament and that you enjoy from the first time you sit on it, you can still improve both yourself and the horse, if your ultimate aim is novice it is better to find something more limited that you want to ride every day than a fancy pants horse that you either cannot sit on comfortably or is so precious it spends more time resting from whatever it latest ailment is than actually being ridden.

A good type of native x or cob x would be ideal, a good pony brain to work with you and activity in its paces can count for a lot at the level you want to do, with the right type you can enhance it's attributes rather than having to learn how to contain them, a much easier and more enjoyable prospect especially in the depths of winter when riding can become more of a chore if you are not careful in your choice.

Looking forward to future comp reports.

humblepie

Visit site
Gosh sounds like you are now in a lovely position and able to have fun. Would echo Be Positive's advice all about getting the right horse and enjoying it.

Don't have any advice as I generally have some one else compete my horse now but good luck with it all and look forward to the reports.

TheoryX1

Visit site
be positive - thanks for that, however, I have absolutely no intention of buying anything too big or too fancy for me. I have got masses of support over buying a horse and my preferred choice is a smart 'sports cob', or something just like you describe, a cob x or connies have taken my fancy recently as well. Being just under 5 foot 6, I am not a shortie, but I dont want to have to clamber on a 17.3 horse. In fact, YO has categorically told me she could not stand the strain of trying to stifle her giggles at seeing me mount a 17.3 hh horse, and if I bring one home, its going right back!!!!!!! I am looking at 15.2 hh max. I also want a horse I can hack on the buckle, while gossiping with friends, will love a good old pub ride and will keep its head when I am going out for a hooley with mates in one of the local fields, and will have fun doing adult 'horse camp' with. At the risk of sound a bit of a reverse snob, I am not a lover of warmbloods personally, even though my daughter does own a very nice one. My current horse is a very smart mw cob, who is 14.3 hh, and if I am honest I would love a younger, slightly taller version of him.

be positive

Visit site
I might just have one, I was not trying a subtle sales pitch in my post, if you want to know more pm me your email and I will send you a few details and photos if you want.

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
If you want a lightweight leggier sort of cob I'd recommend looking at one from the Maesymynach stud - they do sell some of their older ridden stock as well as just youngsters.

(I'm a tiny bit biased as my fab girl is from there ;) ).

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
TX1 - I wish you all the best, be positive has said much of what I could have said, particularly the height.
Having bombed about in previous yrs on 15.2 - 16.2, I am now extremely happy on CF - a 14.3 LW cob, who does everything as you describe you want - with a few quirks as he has mileage on the clock from a previous life ;) OK, he has a measuring stick of 2ft 9 for SJ - but to be honest, thats my max height too these days, any more & we would be both over stretching!

I dont compete now, I'm happiest charging or pottering round the countryside with my friends & on my own, sponsored rides, diving off to RC for training sessions - and also camp which is coming up soon. He is a poppet with a wicked sense of (safe!) humour - which I enjoy taking the challenges :biggrin3:

Hope you find the right one :)

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
Exciting!

I'd personally go Irish but aim to get an event type - billy is tall but narrow so really easy to ride with good free paces but not too big, very easy to keep as he lives out all year round by his own choice, he is the same to ride even if he hasn't been ridden in 3 months and can still go out and compete dressage at weekends (and win!) even if only ridden once during the week!
Plus does everything in a snaffle, safe sensible and excellent to hack/jump basically do whatever you want!

If you go for an event type you can do dressage but also have that option of maybe doing eventing and grassroots further down the line - so not limiting yourself :)
Also having that bit more blood means fittness should come a bit more without loosing the hardiness :)

mandyroberts

Visit site
How exciting. I did the same myself early 50s when my old boy was PTS at 27 and my 'young' boy at 20 had already been retired. I was never going to ride agin as the loss was too painful but time heals as they say. I wanted to do dressage (can't take the falls of jumping) but struggled to get a small dressage dive - 15.2h. They were far and few between but I got there and have my track/hann cross - Rex was 7 when I got him. We have had loads of ups and downs - he has quite an attitude but I am so glad I stayed small. And I have so much fun that I don't look back for a moment. Elliott is now 23 and very happily retired and could go on for ages - fingers crossed. Go for it - life is too short. To stay in shape and keep the creaks away pilates is great. Good luck - and post pics when you have a new horse. Your post made me laugh as I have de-stressed my job from 5 years ago and there are so many other similarities - apparently I am nicer too!

Marydoll

Visit site
Dont rule out anything until youve had a sit on it and a play, im in my early fifties and still compete, when my tb was injured in the field and written off i had a year or so out and took an 18 horse on loan who is fab at everything from hacking to bouncing easily 1.10 and has scope to burn sj and xc.
Through no fault of him we ouldnt grt out this season I cant wait to get him out next season. Keep your own fitness levels up, work on your core and enjoy yourself

TheoryX1

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, and to be fair I was standing next to a fellow livery's 16hh this afternoon and thinking, oh god, I am not fancying anything that height. particularly if you need to climb off during a hack, its a long way to get back on.

Mandyroberts - yes life is much nicer now. I did play things down in my original post as I came close to having a nervous breakdown - my doctor told me that had I not left my job I would have been seriously ill, may have even had a heart attack or a stroke if I had stayed. I had to leave for work at 7.00 am in the morning, got home at 8.00 pm, had to do another two hours or so's work. I didnt see my horses from Sunday night to Saturday morning, and I usually spent Sunday afternoon on my laptop. Life is really far too short. OK, I have lost all the trappings of directorship, but hey, who really cares. I have my family, friends and horses, a lovely new job with great people, where I am appreciated, and most importantly, my sanity and health back.

Am really looking forward to getting the new horse, and yes, will definitely post pictures of him or her on here, plus our journey to becoming a mature dressage diva. I may even force myself to purchase some matchy matchy stuff!!!!! My old horse would never wear any bandages on his legs, couldnt even get travel boots on him - they would get peeled off when my back was turned. Might even get some bling. Mini TX is looking forward to grooming for me as well, and doing dressage with mummy.

As for my old boy, well, I think he will be fine sharing mum. As long as he gets his grub and some cuddles he will be fine.

lme

Visit site
I am older than you. I don't compete, but I do train. I'm still doing a full on job, which involves being away from home 12h per day so my riding is only at the weekends. For the past 6 months, I have gone to the gym most days midweek, working on strength and core stability and it has made a massive difference to what I can do when I do get the chance to ride.

If you are fit and have proper help, my advice would be not to discount big moving warm bloods if they are nice people, are well trained and you have someone skilled who can help you keep them working at that level.

I do understand the attraction of a smaller horse, with less extravagant movement. My own horse is a compact 15.2 who is much more of an all rounder than a pure dressage horse. She is event bred but moves nicely enough to do a good dressage test (should I want to compete) and her size means that I never feel over horsed even if she is in an argumentative mood.

However, I also have regular lessons on my trainer's retired competition horse. He is big built and 16.2 plus with huge paces. Riding him is like getting into a vintage Ferrari after driving a mini. I absolutely love riding him and he is teaching me so much about the impact even slight changes in my position can have. When I get it right, it it amazing and he gives me incredibly clear feedback when I get it wrong, without me ever feeling particularly unsafe.

If I had the funds to buy and maintain another horse I would look for a nice natured, well trained dressage bred horse, invest in loads of tuition for us both and make sure that he or she had a nice lifestyle, with plenty of turnout and was worked by competent, sympathetic riders when I wasn't around. I wouldn't buy an allrounder.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I totally agree about not over horsing yourself, you need to have something that you look forward to taking out, not with the thought of having to force yourself to ride or that "needs" riding to keep sane. When I was in my late 40s I bought a 2 year old, a Morgan, who turned out to have the fabulous Morgan temperament -"what are we doing today?" - and was exceptionally well brought up by the stud and he was virtually broken in before I had him, he was incredibly easy. I had had my fill of TBs and TBx by then, but I wanted a horse, not a pony. I can't understand why they are not more popular and mainstream.

As for competiting, I think you need to find a instructor and have regular lessons, someone who can support and help you achieve. I am a lot older than you and I was competiting regularly until last year, and I only stopped for family reasons, and hope to do a bit more again. Trying to learn 2 dressage tests can be tricky, but I found downloading the test on to an ipod and then listening to the tests when taking the dog for a walk certainly helped with the learning process.

I find it harder to be quite so driven and have to pace myself a bit now, but you have years before that happens!

Jnhuk

Visit site
I would look at something that is fun and sensible. Anything with a bit or Irish in it as they have a sensible attitude to most things. IDxTB is my preference but atm have a IDxWB who is a liitle more spooky but still a fun horse.

Pidgeon

Visit site
Sounds like a wise move job wise. I'd personally go for an IDx, sensible turns their hoof to anything. Mine is 17hh but has done everything from BE to gymkhana games and is the perfect hack out so much so he is in regular demand as a babysitter. All in a snaffle too. Don't write off the taller horse, there are always gates to get on from. My sisters 14.3hh cob is far more challenging to ride than mine, even broncked me off from a walk!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
54yo competing dressage here. Only started dressage in april, competed prelim regionals and placed top 10 so age is most certainly not a barrier if you really want to do it :) However, I do find I have to work harder to keep pure dressage fit. Far more so than if I was competing SJ or eventing. I work 50+ hours a week but still ride 6 or 7 times a week, sometimes on more than one horse.
I also suffer with back issues. Now wear a back support when ever I'm schooling and find it a great help. Diet has to be far more strict than it used to be (no cake or chocolate) :(
When looking for your dressage partner I would advise getting a horse that has its canter as established as its going to be. Canter is probably the pace most demanding for your back. Spring happens to be 18hh 7/8tb x 1/8 ID but moves more like a warmblood. His canter was pretty poor when I started riding him, now it's very big and I certainly know it when I spend 20 minutes in canter during a schooling session.
Off for a few days blasting up and down a Norfolk beach on Monday then when I get back will be joining a gym as just riding isn't enough to keep my fitness up, particularly core strength.
It's all very do able for us over 50's, we just have to work at it a bit harder.
Great fun though :)

Skib

sites.google.com
Your question is right for me too - I've unexpectedly taken to riding tests and RI joked about becoming a dressage diva - I wondered what horse I might buy for my old age.

I am older than you. If I had the funds to buy and maintain another horse I would look for a nice natured, well trained dressage bred horse, invest in loads of tuition for us both and make sure that he or she had a nice lifestyle, with plenty of turnout and was worked by competent, sympathetic riders when I wasn't around. I wouldn't buy an allrounder.

I to guess these were my thoughts too. Especially if you have a bad back and are looking to ride a lot more. A broad backed horse or a cob is no use to me and not happy for ageing hips and backs. But I once went for some lessons at a dressage yard and the warm blood horses there were no problem. I decided against anything so big and powerful and returned to hacking the Irish mare I ve ridden for years. My share horse was a retired dressage schoolmistress - Irish again. Both just under 16 hands and both with canters that were lovely to sit. Both also beautifully behaved, because in old age one does insist.

You cant forecast how far you might want to go with the dressage and if one is teaching a horse to do more than it has known before, you would want to be sure that it had the conformation and fitness to make that easy for him, so that he goes nicely under you and enjoys it too.

debsflo

Visit site
Will be following this thread as I'm in the same situation. Now 51 and my horse is 22 and I will be in the position to have a new horse and having supported daughter who is now at uni would love to compete just low level. I too feel a bit guilty about my old horse, not that she's going anywhere and also v anxious about getting the right horse with a nice attitude. Am also thinking connemara or Irish type about 15'2''''' I will have some lessons prior to buying as been a happy hacker for last few years and do yoga and Pilates to keep supple and strong. Very exciting... Good luck in your journey

1t34

Visit site
Don't rule out a nice smaller warmblood. They tend to sell for less and having a nice moving correct horse can really help you out. I wouldn't also limit yourself to just a dressage type, you have worked hard and now have time to enjoy yourself you may want to get out jumping when you get back into it. If you have time to wait a little spend your money buying something younger and spend some money getting him or her established with a trainer. Most of all buy something that makes your heart sing when you ride him/her, enjoy yourself it sounds like you deserve it!

oldie48

Visit site
Keep your options on size and type open, it's temperament and wanting to work that's the most important factor in my book. I'm 65, didn't really start riding until I was 50 and very recently bought a 16.2 3/4tb x ID. He was bred to event but switched to dressage because he was a bit careless at SJ phase (but he was competing at novice as a 6 year old) he's the least spooky, most sensible horse I've ever sat on but what makes him so suitable is he's really in front of the leg and he's medium fit saddle, so easy on the hips! he's also got lovely paces for dressage. I bought my previous horse because he felt safe but actually he was lazy and really tiring to ride, such an easy trap to fall into! i do 2to3 pilates based classes a week and some aerobic exercise to keep fit. But my best advice is try to ensure you have money for training, find a good trainer and work with them regularly. I ask my trainer to school my horse from time to time and it's money well spent. Good luck I hope you find the right horse, let everyone know you are looking, mine came by word of mouth and hadn't been advertised. If you do buy the wrong one, don't stick with it, move on. Have fun!!!

CrazyMare

Visit site
Have you considered the bigger warmblood ponies? Lots of 14-15h with mixed pony/horse bloodlines. Big moving for their size but manageable. Not too wide, good amount of neck in.front too.

Luci07

Visit site
Not yet 50 but have certainly noticed it is harder to keep fit. I have found a bit of a cheat which helps massively and that is personal training on a power plate. It's 6x more intense than a normal workout with a heavy focus on core work plus an eagle eyed trainer to ensure you work correctly ALL the time. It's 30 minutes or so and I normally incorporate this with spin and body pump though having messed up my shoulder, BP has been a distant memory for the past 4 months. I have 1-2 sessions on the power plate each week now. If you are in Surrey I can most certainly recommend my trainer, who has horses, so for me, can relate a lot of the work I do back to riding (she also helped train last years winner of the Mongol Derby, so it does really work).

For me, having a horse I can really trust is key. I tried recently to sell mine as felt we wanted different things. However, I really have had more than my fair share of indecisive time hoggers who can't make up their mind and horse and I seem to have turned a corner so he is staying! Really enjoying him and incredibly happy he stayed put!

confusedmum

Visit site
Don't rule out a nice smaller warmblood. They tend to sell for less and having a nice moving correct horse can really help you out. I wouldn't also limit yourself to just a dressage type, you have worked hard and now have time to enjoy yourself you may want to get out jumping when you get back into it. If you have time to wait a little spend your money buying something younger and spend some money getting him or her established with a trainer. Most of all buy something that makes your heart sing when you ride him/her, enjoy yourself it sounds like you deserve it!

Im 57 and just started show jumping again after 20 year break and this is exactly what i bought. He is really amazing and has given me so much confidence he is 16hh but rides like a pony and does a bit of everything i I was really surprised at how safe i felt on him and we are now competing and getting placed in 1 meter classes much to my amazement ! Good luck hope you find something I think the minute you sit on the right one you will know

confusedmum

Visit site
Forgot to say regarding aches and pains I have had my neck fused 3 times dont notice when i am riding but look for the person walking round the show ground with dilated pupils and a zimmer frame and thats me still worth it though

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Same age as you TX1 but I don't compete, just hack! However, a good friend of mine who is in her early 60s still competes her 17.3 Shire x TB at BD. She goes to a regular pilates class and says that it really does help with her core strength and general rider fitness. Looking after her horses at home and riding at least one every day definitely help as well!