Advice: Horse with no tail- flies in summer?

NewerRider89

Visit site
My horse had a bad time with his previous owner, and unfortunatley lost his tail after being neglected. In the summer, the flies are all over his back end, and all he can do is kick out in an attempt to fend them off.

Is there some amazing fly spray you've tried that fends the flies off completely?
Or should he be in a fly sheet all summer?
Also, when riding, could I cover his back end with a thin exercise sheet, or would he get too hot?

Thanks, in advance.

pixiebee

Visit site
You can buy horse hair extentions that actually glue into the hair like human hair extentions do. I have tried the ones for the mane and can tell you they have been in 2 months and no sign of coming loose at all and he has been out in all weathers/rolled in mud etc! they are quite expensive but worth it, and if done properly it will look like your horses own natural tail.
http://www.horsehairextensions.co.uk/products/index.php?route=product/category&path=33

NewerRider89

Visit site
Polly, your black horse is gorgeous.
He has about 1.5/ 2 inches left at the dock. His entire bum is exposed, bless him.
So a fly sheet wont make him sweaty then? Bless him, rugged all winter and fly sheet all summer.

forestfantasy

Visit site
It shouldn't make him sweat if you get a good lightweight one in a light colour so it reflects the sun - amigo mio's are good for this.
Don't feel bad, most horses nowadays are out in fly sheets all summer - much better than having them nibbled to death by flies & horseflies!