advice needed - buying a foal

orsceno1

Visit site
Hi all
I am currently contemplating buying an unbroked youngster, possibly a foal, as a long term project. However having never owned a foal before I was hoping for some advice on what to look for in a youngster, best places to look for one, potential pitfalls etc etc - basically any advice/experiences!
I am wanting something that will most importantly be a good allrounder but ideally to event (nothing to serious, prob just intro & PN). Temperament is very important and I want something that has personality but is trainable and reasonably sensible. Also, I dont want to pay too much - not bothered about a top pedigree, just something with a bit of potential.
Am I totally mad/wanting the impossible?!
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of anything that would be great!
laugh.gif

Thanks

black_horse

Visit site
my advice, dont. you will not make a turnaround until they are at least 3 years of age and foals cost a lot in terms on time and money.

i think your mad personally ^^ but then, all use horsey folk are! maybe santa will be kind this year....

amandathepanda

Visit site
Talk to Mrs Burton at Stockings Farm Stud, Wolverhampton. She isn't too far from you & stands Thethingaboutitis. She breeds a few herself each year & they are nearly all event types with nice temperament. I bought a mare from her a year ago & she is a sweetie! Mrs Burton doesn't over charge - I paid £2500 for a 4 year old. PM me if you want her number.

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
I think that unless you have a genuine desire to go showing etc with your youngster you'd be better off buying an older horse. You'd have 3 yrs of keep (maybe more) before you can ride it, the cost of having it broken (unless you can do it yourself) and then still the effort of having to school it on until it's 5 before it can go compete. Even if you have to save up a bit longer for an older horse I'd say that was the better way to go - even if you bought a 4 yr old you could still school it on yourself.
(ps. I bought another foal this year
tongue.gif
)

ladyt25

Visit site
I'd go for a 3/4 yo to be honest. I think if you're canny enough you can pick up a nice bargain if you want to put the work in. The plus side is it would be ready to break in/ride earlier.

I can seethe attraction of buying a foal and bringing it on yourself and that is all good and well if you have plenty of time. If it is just for yourself and not as a project to sell on the yes it may be worthwhile.

bellaboo

Visit site
I brought a foal 2 1/2 years ago, wasn't intending to, meant to be looking for something ready to go but i always had a dream of have a foal and bringing it up and putting my own stamp on it. Never had a foal before but figured that i wouldn't learn unless i gave it a go. I haven't regretted a moment! I, like you wanted a lovely temperament, something trainable and could go on a do a decent level dressage test. I also enjoy showing so have taken my filly out on the show circuit, i've loved every minute and she has also had some great experiences of going out, so if it's something you want to do i would say go for it as it's very rewarding
smile.gif

orsceno1

Visit site
Thanks all - the time factor really isnt an issue for me - I have another horse who is 11 next yr and who I compete, so I am not looking to have something I can take out and compete or even ride asap. To be honest I dont have time at the moment to compete 2 horses! More as I said a long term project (not to sell on though, for me as another horse when my older one is getting on a bit and wants a quieter life!) and also as a companian to my older horse. Realise it will cost time and money, but then thats horses
tongue.gif

Maizy

Visit site
I bred my foal from my sister's old event mare. I've been waiting for 2009 for such a long time!! Finally I can start to back her. Over the last 3 years we have had lots of fun and lots of learning curves. Like you I also have an older horse - unfortunately as soon as the mare went in foal he went lame. Since then I've only been able to do gentle hacking. So for the last 3 years I've had a baby and an old boy - neither I could do much with and not enough time or money for another horse...still it has enabled me to concentrate on other things.

I do not regret breeding, or having a baby, she is defiantly my horse, and has my ‘stamp’, faults and all. We adore each other, plus I have a foal out of our good old event mare we so loved and she is very much like her mother.

Cost wise, I do not even want to consider it...

If I was to do the same again, and I hope to one day have some more babies - hopefully from my filly, then I would definitely consider having two or more at a time or keeping her at a stud (ouch that would cost). They need to play with other young ones and that's something my lady has not had. I feel like I have cheated her from a part of her 'childhood’!

Good luck – I am sure there are lots of babies for sale, but remember if you are going put all that time and money in it is worth going for something special!

Vickijay

Visit site
Hi,
I have got two babies at the moment (one i bred, the spottie in my sig and the bay who I brought her for company) and they are lovely.
Its amazing having them, watching them grow and educating them. I already have such a strong bond with them that its very exciting to think how strong that will be when its time to back them. Its lovely and Im totally hooked!!
That being said they are hard work, they trash alot of stuff, they grow out of everything, they cost me a alot, they take up all my time (altho my other horses are on holiday at the mo so its not so hard at the mo)
But I think the end result is defo worth it altho Im not sure if I would want a foal if it hadnt come from one of my mares.
If I was in your shoes I would get either a yearling or a 2 year old to take some of the hassle out of keeping babies- for example I would not keep a foalie without another baby or at least a yearling hence why I had to buy baby no2, mine come in each night so its still alot of work and baby proofing everything lol. Also having a slightly older baby means its closer to time to back!!
Good luck tho lets us know what happens
smile.gif

ps also be warned about getting addicted, Ive already thought about getting my babys pregnant when there older, vicious (lovely) circle!!!!!

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Buying a 2yo can work out fairly similar in price to a weanling, with 2 years less keep to think about. Personally I love having them from foals and doing everything with them every step of the way, but then i am a breeder, so I would like foals wouldn't I
smile.gif

loulabelle

Visit site
I would highly recommending getting a foal if as you say you would like it to be a long term project.
I have had mine since he was 6 months old. I was planning to have a baby at the time and wanted to have something I could 'play with' a bit of a project so to speak. I have such a bond with my now 3 1/2yr old as for the past 3 years we have done nothing serious, we have gone on walks, had lots of grooming and lots of bond building.
Now we have broken him in and he was a saint...took everything in his stride partly because he had total trust in me, as I do with him. I couldn't wish for a better horse now all the hard work has definatly paid off!