Advice needed on riding strong horse who is traffic shy.

metalmare

Visit site
I hacked this pony out for the first time last week and she is traffic shy, seven years old and very green. her owner has lost confidence and now dismounts at the slightest sign of trouble (the mare's idea is to spin and head for home). So I am trying to spend some time hacking her with other horses and staying on her no matter what to boost her confidence. Last week we started the hours hack pretty hairy but after a while when she realised I wasn't going to abandon her there was vast improvement and she was quite relaxed so I think in time she will come around.

But she is so strong and for safetys sake I had to keep a very strong hold on her to stop her spinning and running. Her brakes are poor and slow. her owner has kept her in a snaffle, which I do admire because I think often people are too quick to chuck a gag on without trying to retrain first. What are your thoughts on this? I hate having a strong contact but it's a safety issue and she is very very insecure and needs to feel you there.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Hopefully you have a martingale on - that's for starters.

Treat her like a baby. So always ride out with a babysitter, who will sit on your right hand side. Also by riding two abreast, it will automatically slow traffic down.

We have a policy with the youngsters on my yard of always riding two abreast. If any traffic shows signs of not wanting to slow down the babysitter horse is usually moved in to the middle of the road (not many people are going to mess with an 18hh heavy weight hunter).

The key is to remain calm and quiet. Try to be as relaxed as possible, and not to ride with too strong a contact - but rather a consistent one.

It's never particularly easy in situations like this - and I do sympathise. Amy could be a bugger in traffic, especially with larger vehicles.

Most importantly be safe. If it starts to get too hair raising - find another ride.

metalmare

Visit site
Thanks, that's all good advice! She's not ridden in a martingale - I did wonder if she ought to be (although 'tis not my call) but she doesn't put her head up so much as sets her neck like a tense little rock, sets her jaw and ignores you. I did ride two abreast (I didn't have a fat lot of choice TBH, she is so insecure and was clinging desperately to the other horse for comfort). Her owner said to treat her like a baby, she certainly behaves like one.
I think relaxing is the key for her really and I think that is a really important point about a consistent contact - there is something I forgot to mention, in the school she constantly adjusts her head carriage, back and forth, up and down, fiddling with the bit and the contact as though it were the first time! I don't know how to respond to this other than to keep perfectly consistent and be careful not to jab her / allow slack rein.
And I also really take on board your point about being safe - when I first got her on the road and she spun I almost decided against it but we ended the ride on such a positive note with her no longer flinching at cars that i really believe we can now do it.

Thanks for your help - you have obviously ridden her twin
grin.gif

BuckingHorse

Visit site
I have exactly the same problem!
Thes best way I have found is to ride on the inside of a sensible horse and pop her into slight shoulder in position with head inclined towards the traffic and 'play' with the contact at the same time keeping strong leg on. This usually stops her spinning round as she doesn't want to spin towards the scary car.
It also gives you so much to think about that you don't get nervous.
grin.gif

metalmare

Visit site
LOL - yep, keep busy! Yes, i think keeping her facing the traffic is a good safety tactic just in case! I'll have to work on the strong leg bit - although she is only 14.1 she is a huuuge barrel and my little legs (I'm 5'3") struggle to fit 'round! It has come as a bit of a shock to the system but I'm sure once I get used to her girth my legs will strengthen.

the watcher

Visit site
I agree with anymay on every point but think you need to build up some time with this horse in the safe environment of the school too, she needs to have confidence in you, not just ridden but lunging too. This is the only way you can teach her to relax and trust you

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She's not ridden in a martingale - I did wonder if she ought to be (although 'tis not my call)

[/ QUOTE ]
It is your call if you are riding her. And I would certainly ask the owner to provide one if she is a 'spinner' on the roads.

Good luck.

metalmare

Visit site
Yeah, that's a good idea. She is certainly the suspicious type. I think perhaps some quality time in the stable, too, grooming and what have you. She definately looked a little more relaxed when I gave her some pony nuts after the ride... it's true isn't it that the way to a horses heart is through it's stomach!

metalmare

Visit site
Yes, you're right. Make me a more assertive person please! After all, a correctly adjusted and used martingale does no harm whatsoever, does it?

metalmare

Visit site
BTW - I also wondered whether lungeing before riding might help let off some tension too as she goes from stable to riding to field at the mo?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
After all, a correctly adjusted and used martingale does no harm whatsoever, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Invaluable bit of kit - would never ride a baby without one, or a horse that was bad in traffic
wink.gif

filly190

Visit site
I just want to say, well done. Loads of people would'nt even think of getting on a nervous horse like this, I am sure your efforts will be quickly rewarded and you'll have a lovely sorted horse.

metalmare

Visit site
Oh thank you! She is a really nice mare, a pure sec D - apparently well bred and only 7 years old with her whole life ahead of her. And the owner bought her as a hack. What a waste for both of them if it doesn't get sorted! This pony still has her whole life ahead of her, that's how I see it. Apparently she spent the first years of her life living away from roads and only ridden in woodland and on the beach...

dwi

Visit site
Daisy has started trying to attack cars as they go past so a slightly different problem but my YO saw me and suggested that when she is getting youngsters used to the road she "chases" the car once it has gone past by going into a trot so that the horse feels like it has seen it off and then doesn't feel intimidated by it.

I haven't tried it myself yet but I can see the logic

metalmare

Visit site
That's a really interesting idea. I can't see a downside to it provided it doesn't become a habit with the horse trying to anticipate you.

GTs

Visit site
Why would you even put yourself in that position - you run the risk of getting injured, and she is not even yours. This horse sounds like a waste of space, if the owner wants it to behave she should pay a professional.