Advice needed please! RE postman

wispagold

Visit site
Hi

Please could someone offer me some advice! (sorry rather long)

We have 2 dogs: a JRT 4yr old bitch that is very protective but in a nervous way and can be quite stroppy and snappy when wound up or with people she doesn't know and a JRT x collie dog who is 2.5yr old and a bit of a rescue case (we have had him a year and a half). He is lovely and frirendly but very, very bouncy and excitable.

The JRT who we have had since a 6 week old puppy has always been how she is and her sister (who my friend has) is quite similar. Now she has always barked really loudly whenever anyone comes round the house particularly the postman. She grabs the post as it comes through the door and rips it up. We have had to get a cage put on the door to stop her tearing everything up and niping fingers. The paper boy has asked us to shut them away when he comes round. Now she (the JRT) has taught the collie to get all excited when the postman comes round. He doesn't get the post but they both stand at the door waiting for the postan, bouncing up and down barking.

If anyone knocks on the door it is a struggle to grab them both and shut them away. They wouldn't bite anyone but it is very intimidating for people that don't know them plus they are very loud.

Anyway today they were both outside in the garden barking when the postman came round. He knocked on the door because he had a parcel and I opened it. I was stood talking to him cos he is really nice when my mum came round the corner and let the dogs out! She didn't realise the postman was here. Well both dogs flew out the front door and postie was dancing around shouting and waving his hands. Collie got very excited, JRT just ran into the garden, stood a safe distance away and just barked at him. Managed to get them both inside and Postie said collie had bitten him!!! He had teeth marks on his hand and it was bleeding. Que lots of appologising plus tissue and germaline. Now I honestly think what happened was collie was just jumping up and down and caught him (he does do silly mouth open, tongue hanging out thing all the time). Anyway not the point at all. That really isn't acceptable and very embarassing. He really isn't a bad dog and he came in straight away when I called him. It is the JRT who is more of a problem, she just ignores you when you shout her. She is also in season at the moment. She needs to be spaded but my mum wont get it done, I have asked her serveral times and she just says we can't afford it (which is rubbish).

What can I do about getting them to behave when people come round. They start as soon as someone reaches the top of the drive and if anyone knocks on the door that makes them 10x worse. There are 6 people living in my house, when you shut them away someone normally lets them out by mistake. Plus I have a broken leg at the moment, it is very difficult to grab excited dogs put them somewhere and shut a door with crutches.

Help please :-(

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Well I'm not doubting you but my dog is much bigger than a collie and he has caught me with his teeth out of excitement before and he has never broken the skin...bruised me massively though :p
Although the postie's body language did not help.

Here's the thing with the postie and other visitors - every day he comes onto your property, the dogs' territory, right up to the front door, this intruder, every day the dogs make a racket, every day the postie leaves again - in the dogs' mind this is a huge result, they scared him off!
And then he has the GALL to come back the next day and the dogs make an even bigger racket, he goes away...see the pattern?
You need to make (certain) visitors a positive experience rather than a scary or negative one - I bet you get really agitated when someone comes to the door, because of their behaviour? All they will feel is your agitation and will rush to defend you from the scary person in their space, as they see it.

However you're lucky the postie hasn't taken this further but you DO need to get it sorted and I'd see if you could find a good trainer who could do a home visit.
Also check out the book 'The Culture Clash' by Jane Donaldson, it is very good for stuff like that.

Your house sounds very 'high energy' and hyperactive and this will rub off on the dogs, if you don't mind me saying. Calm!!!!

Kat

Visit site
I'm not a dog owner but my husband used to be a postie, and I used to be involved in dealing with claims made by posties for injuries suffered on duty.

You really really need to sort this out. It is highly likely that you will end up with a personal injury claim being made against you if your dog injury a postman or paper boy. These people are trying to do their job and it really isn't fair to subject them to this sort of behaviour from your dogs.

You are lucky that Royal Mail haven't refused to deliver your post. They can do this where dogs cause problems for postmen and then you have to collect your mail daily from the delivery office.

I strongly suggest you get a secure postbox and fix it to your fence or gate so that the post and paper can be left without any need for the postman or paper boy to enter the premises while you work on retraining the dogs. When you get it fix it up, pop a sign on asking all deliveries to be left in the box and write to your local delivery office and your newsagent informing them of this.

Do not run the risk of any further injuries being caused, it could result in an expensive claim, or worse in your dogs being PTS.

wispagold

Visit site
Well I looked at his hand and it was pouring with blood, it looked like one tooth had caught the top of his hand which just happened to be on a vein. He has done it to me before if he gets excited playing with toys and he jumps up and tries to grap it out my hand.

I completely understand what you are saying about them defending the house. I don't think the postie is going to be agreeing to coming in for a cup of tea and meeting the dogs after that though :-(

You are right that it id quite stressful when someone comes round because I know what they are like and I don't like it which can only make the situation worse. I will try and stay calming, I am just trying to be quick when I know someone is waiting at the door. The are worse when you shut them behind a door and they can't see what is going on but it isn't fair to let them out as I know people find them intimidating. Even though they would calm down very quickly if someone just came in and said hello.

Im in Derbyshire area if anyone can recommend anyone who might be able to help!

wispagold

Visit site
I strongly suggest you get a secure postbox and fix it to your fence or gate so that the post and paper can be left without any need for the postman or paper boy to enter the premises while you work on retraining the dogs. When you get it fix it up, pop a sign on asking all deliveries to be left in the box and write to your local delivery office and your newsagent informing them of this.

We do have a cage on the door so that the dogs can't get the post as it comes through the door, so same as having a secure postboc. The problem was because he had a parcel that wouldn't fit through the letter box so knocked on the door to give it to me.

I have a friend that is a postman so I have heard it from their side and I completely understand. That is why I am trying to sort it out! I don't live at the house, I am only here because I have broken my leg so having to stay with my parents as I can't drive or walk anywhere. My mum is in all day and knows exactly what they are like but seems to be turning a blind eye. They are lovely dogs just excitable, the collie really isn't aggressive. I am trying to find out how to stop it happening ever again.

wispagold

Visit site
Short peaceful answer is to have a kennel and put the dogs in until the postman has been.

We have a dog room that they are normally shut in. Today was a one off because they were shut outside and my mum let them in because she didn't realise I had the door open and was talking to the postman.

We can always shut them away which is what we normally do. So apart from them being noisey they aren't a problem.

But I want to find a way to teach them to be calm and sensible when someone comes round so that we don't need to shut them away. They are obviously stressed when someone comes round, surely there must be a way of training them to behave when the post comes?!

Kat

Visit site
We do have a cage on the door so that the dogs can't get the post as it comes through the door, so same as having a secure postboc. The problem was because he had a parcel that wouldn't fit through the letter box so knocked on the door to give it to me.

I have a friend that is a postman so I have heard it from their side and I completely understand. That is why I am trying to sort it out! I don't live at the house, I am only here because I have broken my leg so having to stay with my parents as I can't drive or walk anywhere. My mum is in all day and knows exactly what they are like but seems to be turning a blind eye. They are lovely dogs just excitable, the collie really isn't aggressive. I am trying to find out how to stop it happening ever again.

I don't mean a cage on the back of the door, I mean something on the edge of your property so that the postie never has to come on to your property - american style.

I guess if you have several dogs your garden is enclosed, so why not put a mail box on the gate/fence so the postie doesn't have to come in. It completely removes all risk/stress and you don't have to worry about the dogs getting out or being shut away.

wispagold

Visit site
I don't mean a cage on the back of the door, I mean something on the edge of your property so that the postie never has to come on to your property - american style.

I guess if you have several dogs your garden is enclosed, so why not put a mail box on the gate/fence so the postie doesn't have to come in. It completely removes all risk/stress and you don't have to worry about the dogs getting out or being shut away.

Ah I see, yeah that is a good idea. I will talk to my dad about it tonight. I wonder if you can get a bigger version for parcels as well. Thanks.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
At the moment there is no law to protect the postie if the dog 'attacks' them on private land but an MP (cant remember who) is trying to get a law passed that it doesn't matter if the dog is on private land or not, the victim, in this case the postie can have it destroyed. I have a dozen dogs at least on my delivery and apart from one they are all great. The one I hate is a terrier that has useless owners and I have on 2 ocassions kicked the owner as he has been trying to stop it biting me. (I have 3 terriers) I have told the owner that next time, I will step into the road (they have a long drive) and if a car doesn't hit it I will let it bite me and then get it put down as it will be on the public highway. I know this sounds harsh but its a b****rd dog. It also sits behind the door and snatches the mail which as anyone knows who has experienced this, there is nothing you can do to stop your fingers being dragged through stupid as it sounds. They have been asked to put a box at the gate but as yet have failed to do so.

littlemisslauren

Visit site
We had major issues with our postie.
For over 10 years we had post delivered with no problems, the dogs would regularly be out in the garden when post was dropped off and there was never any issue. The posties we had all used common sense and just ignored the big barking fool of a ridgeback and usually gave the overly friendly terrier a little pat (boosts that huge ego of his!). The ridgeback ALWAYS bounced about on the same spot barking, she was too scared of strangers to go near them.

There was never any problem with the post being delivered untill we got a new postie. The new postie was scared of the big dog, we completely understood and offered for her to come in for a drink to get to know the dog and make friends / realise she is far more scared of strangers than they are of her. But she declined, we made sure we supervised the dogs outside untill the post had been, kept the dogs in etc. She started leaving our post on the outside wall of the property in all weathers... which resulted in our post being blown into the road and mulched up!

My dad complained about her on several occasions and I think she must have got in some trouble because we suddenly had a written report about our 'Two large agressive dogs kept in a yarded area that postal workers are forced to enter'.

We had a HUGE barny with Royal Mail because of this, we dont even have a yarded area!!! And I know the old terrier is a bit porky but he is hardly 'large'.

In the end my dad told Royal Mail to stay off his land and fitted a post box on the outside wall of the property.

OP- You are very lucky that your postman has not complained. I recommend getting a post box to avoid any more bites and possible legal action. You will also find that your mail just stops coming too....

wispagold

Visit site
OP- You are very lucky that your postman has not complained. I recommend getting a post box to avoid any more bites and possible legal action. You will also find that your mail just stops coming too....

I know. Luckily he has been out postman for years and we get on very well with him, if we meet him on the street he will stop for a chat etc. He knows the dogs and that they are very noisey and he has met them before. He has never mentioned any concern about the dogs before and he does ask about pretty much everything, he is very chatty.

This is a one off but I think it has been building for a while. In normal circumstance the postman doesn't come into contact with the dogs as the back garden is fenced off and there is a letterbox cage on the door so dogs can't get to the post. However there is clearly a behaviour issue relating to people coming to the door that I want to sort out but don't know how or where to start!