Advice Needed Please

Stranger72

Visit site
There is a horse on our yard whose owner may or may not come in. This has been going on for years and the rest of us have done bits and pieces with the horse as when we have the time, just to make it's life a bit more comfortable. The horse is grossly overweight, it's legs bow under the weight, gets absolutely no exercise (it is now too dangerous to ride and won't turn out) and it's joints are starting to seize up. Someone did report it to the RSPCA about a year ago and they came down but did nothing. It was purely coincidence that the farrier had been to the horse the day before and shod it (normally the hooves are really long as they are at the moment), and someone had mucked it out that morning. Now for the advice. I have read a lot of posts on here and have noticed that a lot of you don't fully support the RSPCA and would go to the ILPH. I am quite prepared to call them and report the situation, but, will they be interested, or would I be wasting their time, because at the moment, someone is taking the time to look after the horse, (mucking out, trying to stretch its legs etc). Also, will there be any comeback on the rest of us at the yard? Any advice will be gratefully recieved. x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
To clarify - the horse is not turned out at all, and is not ridden??

Also, what is the yard owners position - and they are equally responsible as the owners.

Stranger72

Visit site
It is ridden occasionally, by the owner, but horse is naughty (Obviously, but you can't blame horse). I honestly believe that one day the horse could have a heart attack when ridden because of the weight it is carrying. YO has had countless arguments with owner, offered help advice, you name it, all to no avail. Horse will not turn out. Gets worked up into such a frenzy. Will stay in field for a while if someone sits with it, but at the end of the day, we all have our own horses to look after. During the summer, it hasn't been too bad, but winter is coming and then something will have to give.

Parkranger

Visit site
Can't someone have a civil conversation with the owner and say that she should look at rehoming him/her as it's tantamont (sp) to cruelty? If she still doesn't respond then tell her the ILPH will be called out.

Stranger72

Visit site
Have tried turning it out on it's own and with company! Everyone down the yard has tried talking to the owner at various times and offered help etc. Thing is, I don't mind helping anyone, but, owner makes no effort whatsoever.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
All sounds terribly odd. And really I don't see what you can do about it tbh. It's the yard owner that needs to take the stance, and as long as the horse is fed and watered and cared for on a daily basis then no organisation will act.

Of course the YO could tell this person that if they don't buck up their ideas they can find somewhere else to keep their horse - and you could suggest this I suppose........

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well sounds basically buggered!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry
frown.gif

hussar

Visit site
Surely a grossly-overweight horse stabled 24 hours a day and almost never exercised is being cruelly treated and the ILPH would indeed be interested (or BHS Welfare but I don't know much about how they operate)? Why not phone the ILPH and ask for advice on how to proceed? And if there is comeback from the 'aggrieved' owner, does it matter - she won't be staying on the yard if her horse has gone.

the watcher

Visit site
BHS Welfare will advise but rarely initiate prosecutions in my experience. This does sound cruel but maybe we don't know all the circumstances. It wouldn't be the first time a horse has developed a phobia of open spaces (sometimes related to eyesight), in which case maybe it should be turned out in a barn so it can at least move about. The weight is easily tackled as it can only eat what it is given.
This can be dealt with but the yard owner needs to get tough with the horse owner and make some practical alternative suggestions.

Stranger72

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far. I am going to call the ILPH and get their advice on what to do. It is all well and good saying YO should get tough with owner, but, owner doesn't come in at all regularly, and YO has tried everything to get through to her when she does come in. She claims she finds it difficult to come in during the week because of work (we all manage), but hardly comes in at weekends either. When she does come in, she mucks out within about 10 minutes and is gone again. I have mucked out the horse many times and it has taken me hours because it is so filthy where it hasn't been done for days. IMHO, owner doesn't really want the horse, but doesn't want anyone else to either.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have mucked out the horse many times and it has taken me hours because it is so filthy where it hasn't been done for days

[/ QUOTE ]
I absolutely fail to understand where the YO is comming from. Do call the ILPH and they may do something. But does the YO appreciate the position he is in??

Quite F'ing unbalievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
You say the owner hardly ever comes down?
Well could you not move the horse and see how long it would take for her to notice?
Just thinking a shock might be enought to get her to act!
Otherwise im afraid id call the ILPH and try them, basically telling them she does nothing and the horse s only fed and watered because of the worriers on the yard, and speak to the yard owner stating its not on and he has to be more forcefull with the owners!
Maybe try suggesting to the owner they advertise for a part sharer, or better still if you know of one? They might be happy to look after her and ride her without having to pay for her.
It beggs the question what is the point of having a horse and forking out all that money every month to never see, do or ride it?
Poor Pony, keep up the good work sounds like the horse needs you guys x

Stranger72

Visit site
Have called ILPH and left a message on voicemail asking them to call me back. TBH, I dopn't think YO does fully understand the position he is in. He is old and just doesn't understand the way things are these days and how laws have changed and that he is partly responsible for the horse. He makes sure that the horse has hay and water, but that is as far his assistance goes. He used to do a lot with the horse, lungeing it and taking it for walks, but it got thrown back in his face many times. Owner would come in and he would have a chat with her and tell her to ride horse or lunge it etc, owner would say yes sure, then the minute YO back was turned, she was off home. YO did find someone who was willing to ride the horse, a nice calm rider who would sit quietly while horse was napping and being complete pain, but owner went mad that someone had ridden her horse whilst she wasn't around.

Stranger72

Visit site
Have just spoken to ILPH and told them everything I know about the horse. Explained that the horse is being mucked out at the moment and got out of stable etc, and they are going to send a field officer down in the next couple of days. Really hope they can do something. Lady on phone did say that being grossly overweight is as bad as being underweight.

SillyMare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It beggs the question what is the point of having a horse and forking out all that money every month to never see, do or ride it?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are horses like that on every livery yard in the country! (most of them are not being neglected). It does amaze me that people insist on owning horses, forking out all that cash every month and then never actually bothering DO anything with them.

Claireg9

Visit site
I realise not all are being neglected infact we have one that never gets ridden, but mainly because she has loss of use. But she is cared for and loved.
Like you say all that money to do bugger all with them seems stupid but all that money to actually neglect the horse..... is complete madness!

calon

Visit site
i would think it is the yard owners place to talk to the owners ,if several of you arnt happy with horses care ect you should ask the yo to have a word and tell them it dosent bode well for her to be seen to accept this lack of care to horses on her yard and then offer any advice she can to help if they dont want help then she should ask them to leave and inform rspca ect , individuals getting involved may just cause the whole yard to start falling out . if the horse was on my yard i would insist it had correct care