Advice needed please!

pottamus

Visit site
My horse has gone well in his loose ring french link for over a year now but has developed this annoying habit of messing with it in his mouth when stood still. Basically if I stop out on a hack to talk to someone or wait for traffic to pass he starts swivelling his head round and pulling the bit through his mouth. It's a hard one to explain but even if I let the reins go loose he seems to grab the bit through his mouth to the point where it has been pointed out to me that he is almost trying to shove his tongue through the bit ring (so he has pulled the bit right through his mouth).
blush.gif

He always does this now and I need to stop it before we have an accident, so I have tried him this week in rubber bit guards (the round ones that go either side of the bit)...but he managed to get the rubber guard in his mouth a couple of times and started chewing that instead
confused.gif

Would a full cheek bit stop this do you think, because I am hoping that once the habit it broken I can go back to his normal bit...
It is not a mouth thing either as he has his teeth done every 9 months and there are no problems there as done last week.
All advice gratefully received as ever!
grin.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
I echo that, i was always told they should have two creases either side.

Failing that what about a flash?? It doesn't have to be tight, just tight enough to stop him doing it. I would be inclined to do that rather than change his bit if he is happy in the one he is in already. You could end up causing more problems!!!

Skhosu

Visit site
a full cheek might well help, but I would get one that has the keepers, as I think with mine you would have the danger of him getting it stuck in his mouth?